PDA

View Full Version : Revitalised POSTCARD EXCHANGE Group

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Aggie
12-21-2004, 08:38 PM
just good old dektol. Glad you liked it.

veriwide
12-23-2004, 09:04 AM
I could not wait until the next round to show ya'll this image so I have posted it in the Standard Gallery. It was taken a week later than my postcard, which I hope you all have it by now. It shows that mother nature can change things over time, like the leaves and rust on the post card, or almost instantly with the weather.

kwmullet
12-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Good idea. Recently I bought a couple of Wolff's Carbon pencils from the local art shop. They're made with very dark graphite that won't rub off easily (even with an eraser). I think they'd work well for the postcards.

Just got back from Hobby Lobby, where I picked up a Wolff's Carbon Royal Sovereign 4B pencil. I'm finding it quite hard to sharpen, and when I do get a fine point on it, it doesn't last very long. I've never used a carbon pencil before, but it seems one step more cohesive than a charcoal pencil. A regular graphite #2 pencil produces a lighter line, but holds the point longer and I can write smaller without it looking smudged.

Did I get the wrong grade carbon pencil? I don't know what the difference is between a #2 and a #4B. The clerk in the art department of previous store I went to and couldn't find a carbon pencil tried to explain it to me but I just didn't grasp it.

I want something archival that holds a point, can write small without looking smudged, and draws a very dark/black line. Is another grade carbon pencil what I need? I like the color of the line, just don't like the "crumbliness" of it.

John McCallum
12-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Did I get the wrong grade carbon pencil? I don't know what the difference is between a #2 and a #4B. The clerk in the art department of previous store I went to and couldn't find a carbon pencil tried to explain it to me but I just didn't grasp it.

I want something archival that holds a point, can write small without looking smudged, and draws a very dark/black line. Is another grade carbon pencil what I need? I like the color of the line, just don't like the "crumbliness" of it.

Artist pencil gradings go from 'hard' to 'soft'. Hard being lighter but harder wearing, and soft being darker and faster wearing.

#3 (H3) / #2 (H2) / H / HB / B / B2 / B3 / B4
<--- Harder&Lighter Softer&Darker ---->

I use a grade B for brief notes on the back of prints during printing and more particularly for signing matted prints. I find the harder grades (H, H2 , H3 etc) a bit too light and hard causing unwanted surface damage on the paper. Going darker and softer (B2, B3, B4 etc) I think gets too soft for practicle use for writing.
An HB or B seems to be a nice balance of dark vs harder wearing.

.... Hobby Lobby? :p

BWGirl
12-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Hey!!! What's wrong with Hobby Lobby??? :p I love that place!!! You can buy all kinds of cool things there...except maybe photo chemicals and paper.

There's a real fine line you walk between too hard of a lead (which will crush the fibers of paper quickly, but hold a point forever) and too soft a lead (which will be very dark, but often smudge easily and never keep a point). There is an alternative solution...and that is to buy a mechanical pencil...a 7mm or 9mm (not a 5mm) and get either a special lead meant to write on "plastic" or an HB lead for paper. I guess my only concern here is that most graphite leads will smear. The plastic leads will not. You will have to maybe look in a store that carries drafting supplies or has a drafting section. Good luck!!! :D
I am so happy with all the very cool postcards I am getting! This is great fun! :D

John McCallum
12-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Hey!!! What's wrong with Hobby LobbyOh absolutely nothing I'm sure. :) We don't have a Hobby Lobby .... cute name.

Ole
12-30-2004, 05:28 PM
...a 7mm or 9mm (not a 5mm) ...

I am so happy with all the very cool postcards I am getting! This is great fun! :D

Pencil diameters tend to be well under 1mm, so that must be .7, .9 and .5mm as in "0.7mm".

Postcards are cool - and I'm running late. And I'm going to be even later since I didn't get any printing done today. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a week or two... :(

Aggie
12-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Why not get an archival ink pen? Light impressions sells them, I know I picked a couple up from Wolf Camera.

Part of the charm of this exchange is the shape of the postcard when it arrives. It has taken on all the marks of actually being used for what it was intended.

kwmullet
12-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Why not get an archival ink pen? Light impressions sells them, I know I picked a couple up from Wolf Camera.

Part of the charm of this exchange is the shape of the postcard when it arrives. It has taken on all the marks of actually being used for what it was intended.

well... maybe you can do a sanity check on my thinking here. My thoughts are that ANY kind of ink will gradually wick out into the paper over time, and anytime the postcard gets wet, pencil is probably going to survive the experience a lot better than ink. That belief is why my darkroom notes are all in pencil.

I did think of getting a tech pen or some kind of pen that used india ink, then waxing or varnishing the back of the postcard (under the category of *next time* since that'd run me too late for this round), but I want to preserve the feel and look of the nifty hemp paper to which I mounted my cards, so that idea didn't last very long.

Since I'm probably going to send out this batch tomorrow, and I don't like the carbon pencil I picked up, I'll probably just use a graphite pencil this time around.

-KwM-

Ole
01-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Mine are all in the mail. They're dry mounted onto Strathmore 140# Cold Press Watercolor postcard stock. I've had some trouble with the pictures coming unstuck, so if you get a postcard without an image, lemme know. I figured that no matter what we do the postcards take some effort, so I might as well make the best print I can, which means on Azo.

It arrived here today, in excellent shape. Nothing unstuck, stuck on, or scratched at all!!

Nige
01-04-2005, 03:55 PM
I went back to work yesterday and had 9 cards waiting for me. Jim's postcard was in pristine shape for me.

c6h6o3
01-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I went back to work yesterday and had 9 cards waiting for me. Jim's postcard was in pristine shape for me.I'm relieved. I hope nobody else had any problems. If so, I have a few extras.

When do we start the next round?

c6h6o3
01-04-2005, 04:40 PM
It arrived here today, in excellent shape. Nothing unstuck, stuck on, or scratched at all!!
Amazing that there were no abrasions. I didn't wax them, which I usually do for mounted prints.

L Gebhardt
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
All,

I am sorry for the delay in getting my postacrds out. I got them printed last weekend and I hope to get them in the mail this week. All of the ones I have recieved so far have been very nice - I hope mine can compare.

Larry

kwmullet
01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
All,

I am sorry for the delay in getting my postacrds out. I got them printed last weekend and I hope to get them in the mail this week. All of the ones I have recieved so far have been very nice - I hope mine can compare.

Larry

I'll chime in with my apology as well. Somehow, I undercounted the number needed, so I decided to send out the non-US postcards first (on 31Dec) since they would take the longest to get to their destination, and print more postcards and do all the US postcards at one time. That is, in fact, what I'm doing now. (printing... not sending)

back to the soup!

-KwM-

Nige
01-04-2005, 10:48 PM
When do we start the next round?

I'll email everyone and start a new thread in Feb to call for participants (we have some new interest already!). It seems a long time, but January is our recovery month :) and that will allow the postal systems of the world to catch up (and those that are still printing, etc to be ready for next round)

Cheers, Nige

BarrieB
01-05-2005, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=c6h6o3]I'm relieved. I hope nobody else had any problems. If so, I have a few extras.

Greetings Jim, Yesterday, 5th of January I received your envelope with two perfect images ( Monastery I on the Strathmore Watercolor 140lb Cold Press,lovely tones, the very first Azo print I have seen & the notecard image with the small ribbon grass in foreground). You seem to have solved that "Dry-Mounting" problem.
As I do not contact on Azo I will have to try very hard to send you my very best Image Quality next round, Cheers Barrie B. Melbourne Australia.

Aggie
01-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Jim, your Azo arrived very intact. It was so good, I put it in a small frame overmatted so I could keep the postard as is under it. Thanks for a wondeful image.

John McCallum
01-07-2005, 10:51 PM
It is a 4x5 contact print of a stream edge with native bush in the background. Titled 'Foam and Flora'.

Jeanette and Kevin C mentioned they hadn't received their postcards from me yet. Since they went out in early Dec. I suspect they may have gone astray.

Was just wondering if there was anyone else that had not received their one from me also?

I've received a handfull of postcards so far. Some really beautiful ones.
Jim's arrived just this morning; perfectly in tact and just lovely.

John.

Jim Moore
01-07-2005, 10:57 PM
It is a 4x5 contact print of a stream edge with native bush in the background. Titled 'Foam and Flora'.

Jeanette and Kevin C mentioned they hadn't received their postcards from me yet. Since they went out in early Dec. I suspect they may have gone astray.

Was just wondering if there was anyone else that had not received their one from me also?

I've received a handfull of postcards so far. Some really beautiful ones.
Jim's arrived just this morning; perfectly in tact and just lovely.

John.

John,

I have received yours. It would not surprise me though if a few would happen to get lost.

That is something I worry about too.

If anyone has not received mine please let me know. They where all sent out in December.

Thanks,
Jim