PDA

View Full Version : Revitalised POSTCARD EXCHANGE Group

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Kevin Caulfield
01-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Jim,

I got yours, thanks. I think some of the USA ones are still on their way to Australia. So far I've received nine.

Regards,
Kevin

kwmullet
01-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Amazing that there were no abrasions. I didn't wax them, which I usually do for mounted prints.

Okay, c6h6o3...

I've been meaning to reply to this for four days and just got a round tuit.
I'm trying to get all the good info I can on print waxing to achieve a high gloss and depth to my prints. This thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11092)has been very enlightening, but I didn't see you in there anywhere. I'd really like to know what materials and method you use for waxing prints.

I guess, ideally, you should post your answer here (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11092), rather than this thread, so that years from now, future analoggers can see your reply from that thread.

Thanks in advance,

-KwM-

BarrieB
01-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Greetings 'Hermit' [B]J Truman,
Love your 'Elk Pond' Cyanotype 5 X 7 , very striking and well done.
And A Happy New Year to you also, Cheers Barrie B. Australia

BarrieB
01-10-2005, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=kwmullet]well... My thoughts are that ANY kind of ink will gradually wick out into the paper over time, and anytime the postcard gets wet, pencil is probably going to survive the experience a lot better than ink. That belief is why my darkroom notes are all in pencil. ]
I agree, I always use a ' 2B ' lead pencil to mark the reverse of my test strips, & Photos; soft enough not to mark the front of even single weight papers.
Kevin, I received your 'Turbine No. 1 ' postcard today, bold image, the pencil notes on the recerse held up well through the mail, Happy New Year to you also.
Barrie B. Australia.

kwmullet
01-10-2005, 05:19 PM
[...]
Kevin, I received your 'Turbine No. 1 ' postcard today, bold image, the pencil notes on the recerse held up well through the mail, Happy New Year to you also.
Barrie B. Australia.

Thanks very much, Barrie. Glad to know transit is still occuring. I finished printing the last of my domestic cards at 3am this morning and just came down stairs from hanging them on the line. I'll be clothes iron dry mounting them today, tonight and probably much of tomorrow.

Since it takes me so long to get these things out, I think I'll start working on a postcard run when the next one starts, but not commit to one until the next one, giving myself two cycles to do one run. That's the plan, at any rate.

Since I was in a big hurry to get the international cards at least out while it was still December, I was addressing them right up until the time I had to leave to make it to the post office before they closed. The traffic was with me, so I managed to add a title caption while in the parking lot, but not this:

"Image recorded on Ilford HP5+ with a Canon EOS-1N, 85mm EF 1.8,
approx 1/30@/1.8. Film developed by inspection in Pyrocat HD.
Printed with a Beseler 45MCRX onto Ilford Multigrade IV FB Glossy
using split filtration [0/5] and developed in Ilford Multigrade
developer 1:9. Dry mounted onto Green Field Paper Co. Premium Hemp
Paper (100% recycled, 70lb, 180GSM)"

-KwM-

Nige
01-10-2005, 05:56 PM
I agree, J 'Hermit' Truman's card was stunning!

Kevin Caulfield
01-10-2005, 06:21 PM
I also received the turbine one yesterday - thanks, Kevin.
But I haven't seen the Truman one yet. Nor have I received one of the other ones from Melbourne - you sent all yours, Barrie?

Bruce Osgood
01-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Arrived today in Brooklyn, NY. An outstanding presentation.
Thanks

c6h6o3
01-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Okay, c6h6o3...

I've been meaning to reply to this for four days and just got a round tuit.
I'm trying to get all the good info I can on print waxing to achieve a high gloss and depth to my prints. This thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11092)has been very enlightening, but I didn't see you in there anywhere. I'd really like to know what materials and method you use for waxing prints.

I guess, ideally, you should post your answer here (http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11092), rather than this thread, so that years from now, future analoggers can see your reply from that thread.

Thanks in advance,

-KwM-

At Michael Smith's suggestion, I tried waxing them with Pledge. I just sprayed some on a cloth or paper towel and rubbed it on. It looks wonderful at first, but after a few days it seems to develop a hazy film which will respond to repolishing, but that won't do you much good in a frame. Pledge also seems to lead to separation of the mounted image from the matte board and curling of the matte board. I don't know why this should be but It seems pretty consistent.

Then I tried Clay Harmon's method touted by Sandy King above of using Gamblin Cold Wax Medium. You apply it with a soft cloth, rub it in really well and wait 15 minutes or so. Then polish it with a soft bristle shoe brush. Do not use the flat, velvety type brushes. They abrate, where the bristles do not (surprisingly enough), at least with Azo. The sheen with Gamblin seems to have real staying power and doesn't lead to curling or separation. I'm sold.

I got mine at Pearl. http://store.yahoo.com/pearl/-204240.html

kwmullet
01-10-2005, 11:48 PM
At Michael Smith's suggestion, I tried waxing them with Pledge.[...]Pledge also seems to lead to separation of the mounted image from the matte board and curling of the matte board.[...]

Then I tried Clay Harmon's method touted by Sandy King above of using Gamblin Cold Wax Medium. [...] The sheen with Gamblin seems to have real staying power and doesn't lead to curling or separation.[...]

Sounds like something I might like to try. Gamblin is mentioned in the print waxing thread I referenced, but no one said very much about the particular appearance it gives. Is it a high gloss or more of a pearl finish? When doing this on a mounted print, I guess you mask off the mat before you start, right?

Does this finish resist fingerprints or require re-buffing when touched? I'm wondering if this would be appropriate for my next cycle of postcards.

I'm also wondering how it would compare in effect to a beeswax+damar combination, another mix suggested in the aforementioned thread.

-KwM-

BarrieB
01-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Yes Kevin, I sent ALL of mine in December 2004.

photomc
01-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Yes Kevin, I sent ALL of mine in December 2004.

Can confirm that yours arrived in Dec. 04 here in Texas. Nice work BTW

c6h6o3
01-11-2005, 12:08 PM
1) Is it a high gloss or more of a pearl finish? 2) When doing this on a mounted print, I guess you mask off the mat before you start, right?

3) Does this finish resist fingerprints or require re-buffing when touched? I'm wondering if this would be appropriate for my next cycle of postcards.

4) I'm also wondering how it would compare in effect to a beeswax+damar combination, another mix suggested in the aforementioned thread.

-KwM-

1) It's beeswax (mostly) so the finish resembles a leather jacket after being waxed.
2) No. Completely unnecessary.
3) Resists fingerprints to the extent that a polished pair of shoes resists them. I'm sure a little buffing would take them right out.
4) I would avoid damar at all costs. It yellows very quickly, and is extremely difficult to work with. Until it dries it's as sticky as flypaper, and attracts all manner of airborne debris.

Try the Gamblin. I'll spend more today on lunch at Wendy's than a 4 oz. jar will cost you. And that should be good for a couple hundred 8 x 10s or so.

kwmullet
01-11-2005, 12:43 PM
[...]
4) I would avoid damar at all costs. It yellows very quickly, and is extremely difficult to work with. Until it dries it's as sticky as flypaper, and attracts all manner of airborne debris.

Try the Gamblin. I'll spend more today on lunch at Wendy's than a 4 oz. jar will cost you. And that should be good for a couple hundred 8 x 10s or so.

I think that makes up my mind. I'll try one or more coats of Gamblin first and see if I can get the effect I want. Only if I'm unsatisfied with that will I try other stuff. It sounds, though, like most waxing agents are a wax base (usually beeswax) cut with something to enhance shine, and that most of the things that produce a really high gloss also yellow over time.

If it was easy, everyone'd be doing it. (:

I've heard white beeswax also referred to as bleached beeswax. Any thoughts on the archival properties of bleached beeswax and whether residual bleach in the beeswax would be a bad thing?

-KwM-

BWGirl
01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Well, I received this postcard today, in the envelope next to it. Sorry it's such a crummy image, but...well really... you don't think I actually have a digital camera that's any good do you???? ;)
So, I really do not know who took this...it's a city scene, and I can see a clock tower in the background. It was mailed in the US.

Bruce Osgood
01-18-2005, 04:08 PM
really do not know who took this...it's a city scene, and I can see a clock tower in the background. It was mailed in the US.

Looks like the Custom House in Boston to me. Probably taken with a Nikon N80 on something like Delta 100. I bet Larry Gebhardt in New Hampshire can tell you more. :)

L Gebhardt
01-18-2005, 04:11 PM
That was mine. I will send you another copy as I have two left. I just love our postoffice. What did they do to the thing - melt it?

BWGirl
01-18-2005, 04:16 PM
That was mine. I will send you another copy as I have two left. I just love our postoffice. What did they do to the thing - melt it?
It has a big chunk torn out of it. They sent it along in a plastic bag that says..."WE CARE
Dear Postal Customer:
We sincerely regret the damage to your mail during handling by the Postal Service. We hope this incident did not inconvenience you...." yada yada yada... :rolleyes:

Thanks, Larry.

Nige
01-18-2005, 06:39 PM
they did a job on that!

c6h6o3
01-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Marvin Runyon's legacy. Looks like they didn't call him "Carvin' Marvin" for nothing. http://www.blogofdeath.com/archives/000941.html (5th paragraph).