PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 25 comments and feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Mike Wilde
04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
My pile of 'prints awaiting comments' was getting a bit too high, so here it goes:

Crispin – Ginger Flower- A wonderful image of something I have never seen All of the ginger I have ever seen comes as a root, or ground to a powder.
The lighting of the original still life scene that you imaged well is most appropriately translated into the tones in the print

Mark Barendt- Oahu North Shore- I must confess to liking the framing of the elements in the image, but the print contrast leaves me flat. I think a more powerful image would have been achieved with a higher grade of paper. If the original negative was thin, and hence the image appearing limp, well, sorry. An auto-exposure camera is prone for giving under exposure in these circumstances, being fooled by the bright sun and sand. Dive into Fred Parkers ‘The ultimate exposure tool’ – goggle it, and proceed to expose with the camera set on manual with confidence.

Trond – Bird - A neat abstraction of a real life scene. Nice placement of tones, sharp and well focused. The human feet hanging in the edge of the image do give the scene scale, but they are still a bit too distracting for my liking.

Nige – Veranda View at night. Nige, you are brave to dig out old b&w negs from when you first got into film. I look back at mine and they are all so bad. I am almost willing to toss them, but I won’t due to the memories of the subject matter. From the image it looks like you had a nice vista to look at growing up. My youth, and present day, vistas offer the blandness of suburbia.

Guitstik (I thing- Tennessee postmark)– Window Detail of Miners Shack, Bodie CA. Very nice details. Shadow on the mesh curtains, cracks in the dried wood window frame, etc. It certainly shows you what 4x5 can do. Window pane frame slightly offset from print edges frame is a nice touch. Good perspective correction. All that should be straight and square is.

George Nova Scotia – So, the prints on old paper, in an envelope disease has spread from little ole me…
Ducks in the ditch – a neat fun image

CATV tower – a nice abstraction. The key to using old paper is to make it fit the image content. Mottling in the mid tones you; say well with enough going on in this image, who would think to try to see mottling.

I am a little down on your reference to back when ‘signals floated free in the air’. We dropped cable TV 4 months ago, since we realized the kids spent all their time on the computer or video game thing or i-pod thing, and mom and dad’s use of tv was a big time waste. I strung up an antenna on the roof (about 40 years after helping as a child take one off my dad’s house) and we now have more than 25 signals that we actually want to watch, not counting the foreign language and religious programming, for free between the Toronto and Buffalo OTA digital stations.

Petite print of Day Lily. Very nice. Again, yes, a touch of fog, another by product of old paper, but it works with the image. I have some Velox out in the garage, and a little 4x5 contact printer meant for this type of paper. Hopefully your image has started to stoke my fire to test it and see what sort of a negative contrast is needed, and image content is needed to suit its present grade and fog level.

George, it was neat to see the three prints come out of the envelope, since I am always on the sending end. So live a little and make the prints bigger next time and get full value for the wonderful price of stamps that Canada post demands from us.

Keep the images coming folks. It alway brightens my day to have something other than junk mail and bills in the post when i get home!

markbarendt
04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Mark Barendt- Oahu North Shore- I must confess to liking the framing of the elements in the image, but the print contrast leaves me flat. I think a more powerful image would have been achieved with a higher grade of paper. If the original negative was thin, and hence the image appearing limp, well, sorry. An auto-exposure camera is prone for giving under exposure in these circumstances, being fooled by the bright sun and sand. Dive into Fred Parkers ‘The ultimate exposure tool’ – goggle it, and proceed to expose with the camera set on manual with confidence.

Thanks for the feed back Mike. You too Terry.

Just FYI no auto anything or underexposure. Incident meter and RB 67. The negative has plenty of detail everywhere.

I've printed this one several ways at several different grades, I'm still trying to find what I like best. I think it's going to take some burn and dodge as well as a harder grade.

What I'm saying is that the "failings" in the look were actually my choices and reflect my mood at the time I printed.

ozphoto
04-08-2012, 06:05 AM
My list is below. If anyone has sent stuff to me, and I haven't received it let me know. Our rural post office is famous for putting mail in the wrong places.

Andrew.vartabedian
Black Dog
bluejeh - received
bluejeh2 - received
ccross
delphine - received
DerekLofgreen
drpsilver - received
George Nova Scotia
gordrob
guitstik - received
Jon King
Kc2edh
Laurent
markbarendt - received
markrewald
Mike Wilde - received
mooseontheloose - received
Nige - received
ozphoto
Rob Skeoch - received
rst
Steelbar - received
tj01
Trond - received

I received "NYC 1998" but dont know who it is from.

(Matt wasn't on my list, but I traded with him anyway. Thanks Matt!)

Hi Chris,

Mine was the NYC 1998 - sorry about forgetting the name! ;)

ChristopherCoy
04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Hi Chris,

Mine was the NYC 1998 - sorry about forgetting the name! ;)

Thanks!! I enjoyed that particular card very much!!

Kc2edh
04-09-2012, 06:49 PM
All my cards are in the mail! I apologize for sending mine out so late in the round- extenuating circumstances had prevented me from having any darkroom time for the past two months. Just this week I put together a makeshift darkroom in my parent's basement (only temporary, thank goodness!) and finished my printing. I've received 30 great prints so far and wish I had time to comment on them all, but thank you to everyone!

ChristopherCoy
04-10-2012, 10:28 PM
George Nova Scotia.... WOW WOW WOW!!! I'm especially impressed with the lily on paper from 1953!!!

Laurent
04-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm afraid I'm quite late on commenting for this round... In the recent weeks I received :

Trond's Bird. The bird does not seem in a very good shape, but the image works marvelously. All the pebbles create a lovely background.
Kraker's winter landscape. Nice perspective of the trees, the general mood is well conveyed for me.
Mark Bardent's Oahu Norths Shore. This looks like a vintage print, I'd LOOOVE to see this place !
Unsigned card "Windows detail, Miner Shack". Lovely close-up, I enjoy such closeups !
George Nova Scotia's homage to Kodak. I too am impressed by the 1953 paper's look, as well as by the image.
Ryan's strength of Irene. It's jolly hard to imagine such a powerful phenomenon from where I live !

I'm afraid I'll be late for this round, I have 2/3 of my cards printed but the dayjob kept me away from the darkroom for weeks in a row...

Thanks !

Terry Christian
04-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Two new cards, received just now in the mail, a pairing of high and low contrasts:
Low contrast: "Strength of Irene" by Ryan/Kc2edh. Almost looks like it was shot in the 1940s!
High contrast: The canopy of leaves by Craig/ccross. I've tried to shoot underneath a leaf canopy before, and haven't had such good luck capturing it in B&W as this. The play of light fairly dazzles the eye, and the branch draws the viewer right in.

ozphoto
04-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Received Trond's card - nice tones and textures.

piu58
04-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Dear photographers,

Rüdiger Stobbe, the organisator of this exchange, seem to be in a some kind of disorder. His last post in APUG is form February. I wrote him a personal mail but got no answer.

Does somebody know something more?

rst
04-28-2012, 01:23 AM
Hi postcarders,

I am still around - well more not than I am. I am sorry that I did not have the time to hang around more here on APUG. I was sick and had a lot to do for my job and no time to spend in the darkroom at all. So this also means for this round that I am late and I am sorry about this. But I will have some time next week to do my postcards. Better late than never.

The following was not easy for me to write, but in the end I had to.

I organize this exchange now for some time. A lot of people showed up, some stayed, some went away again, for some who left the exchange it was nearly as seeing friends leaving - and then there is this base of regulars - great people. And it was fun to go to the mailbox to find a nice postcard and knowing from the image alone who sent it. It's a great exchange, maybe the best invention here on APUG. I like this exchange and organizing it was a pleasure for me. But lately time got short and I was not able to be around here as I should have been as an organizer of the exchange. I am sorry it took me so long to realize and admit that at the current state of affairs I am not a good organizer of the postcard exchange. And that is not what you folks deserve.

OK, it's better to make it short: I decided that I can no longer organize this exchange. Not an easy decision for me, but we need someone to jump in and take over this exchange. Whoever is willing to take over, please send PM to me.

Cheers
Ruediger

ozphoto
04-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Sorry to see you relinquish the helm of the ship, but understand your reasons. A big Thank You for undertaking the organisation for as long as you have - it's been thoroughly enjoyable, and hopefully, someone will have the time to do the same (what HUGE shoes they have to fill!!!! :D)

Nige
04-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Ruediger, you lasted longer than me! You've done a great job but sounds like it's time to let someone else have a go... not me though :)

Mike Wilde
04-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I've been in this thing since round 10, I think. It has been what keeps the darkroom habit going for me at times - a forced deadline to get something out , even when the rest of my life is busy.

I would hate to see it fold. I am not a computer guru. That is why I love the darkroom; a reason to not look at the thing.

I understand that Ruediger has developed a tool to aid in automating the distribution lists.
If he is willing to pass on his tool, could explain what skills are needed to run that tool, and the platform it runs on, that might allow others to consider the task with less trepidation.

Oxleyroad
04-29-2012, 04:49 PM
I understand that Ruediger has developed a tool to aid in automating the distribution lists.
If he is willing to pass on his tool, could explain what skills are needed to run that tool, and the platform it runs on, that might allow others to consider the task with less trepidation.

Like Mike I would hate to see it fold, and like Ruediger I too feel I have come to know so many of you through the exchange.;)

After reading Ruediger's post and pondering on the challenges of taking on the postcard exchange, I am willing. I would be interested in understanding the automation behind the distribution list.

PM sent.

Oh I had better get round to printing all my cards for this round.

George Nova Scotia
04-29-2012, 05:10 PM
To set peoples minds at rest, Andy is at least the third to volunteer so the list will continue.

Andy I'll send you a PM shortly.

George

ChristopherCoy
04-29-2012, 05:17 PM
I'd volunteer to be the 4th, but I would assume that I haven't been around long enough.

rst
04-30-2012, 03:14 AM
OK, it's good to see so many people willing to jump in. So this exchange will live on. Very good. So now let me describe a bit the "technical aspect" coming with the groupings.

Yes I wrote a little Java program which allows me to easily do the groupings, all that is needed is an input file in the correct format. With this file the program creates the groups. The next thing is to send out the PMs with the address lists as these lists are different for every participant. Since I am kind of lazy my program creates a big macro file which I can run in Firefox with the iMacros plugin. So within half an hour all PMs are sent with only one click. But here is also the hairy part of it. Whenever the software running the forum the html to send a PM changes and that means that I have to adjust the part which creates the macro file. So if you are able to do a little bit of Java programming ...

OTOH I already have a program which just generates all the PMs to be sent and you can copy/paste from that file into your browser to send the PMs manually.

To use all this the minimum you would have to:

be able to use a real editor (not to mix up with a word processor like wordpad or Word or OpenOffice etc)
be able to install Java on your computer and run a Java program from the command line (my little program has no fancy window user interface)
be able to deal with people who are a bit nasty when you make something wrong - a very rare case not happened for a long time

At the moment we have four people who want to volunteer (ozphoto, George Nova Scotia, Oxleyroad and Christopher Coy) that's great. And @Christopher - when I jumped in I wasn't around very long either. So I would not like to be the person who prefers one over the others. I think everybody should be able to use my program at least with the manual sending of PMs. The hardest part is to find good groupings and that is solved with the program. Sending the PMs by hand is probably one hour of concentrated but manual and boring work. I have to say that I resign not because of this part. I resign because I do not have the time to be around enough to be a good organizer.

Thanks to all of you who make this a great exchange.

Cheers
Ruediger

Nige
04-30-2012, 08:19 AM
When I was at the helm I did the matching and emailing (direct emails to your email) from an MS-Access DB I created. If that's useful for someone I'm willing to revisit it and help get you up and running.

Nige.

piu58
04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
And Now for Something Completely Different ...
I received Dercks "Lava Arch" today. Very fine shot indeed! I love the dark lava against the light grey water.