PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else collect Brownies?

Pages : 1 [2]

cliveh
02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Alas, I no longer have it, but I learned to do this with a Brownie Starflash. I do have a few other models in the "collection".

Do you mean a brownie Starmite?

HowardDvorin
02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Hello All

I have my late Mother' six-20 Brownie Jr. I am in my mid 70's and it is the camera she used to take my baby pictures.

The shutter still works but the viewfinders are not usable.

Howard Dvorin

wblynch
02-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I have a Brownie Hawkeye Flash but I don't like the flipped lens craze. To me this is similar to drilling an off-center hole in an LP just to get a laugh at the oblong sound.

I would hope that people that do flip the lens put it back to normal when they tire of the novelty.

A future owner may not realize what's wrong and, after seeing their first pictures, might throw the camera away altogether.

BrowniesAreCool
02-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Howard, I own a Six-20 Brownie Junior. It's likely that your viewfinders are caked in dust and dirt. You can clean them by simply popping the front plate of the camera off (may require some wriggling and prying with a small screwdriver), taking a cotton swab with some cleaning stuff (water will do though) and wipe them clean. They should then be very clear.

Ah, I see that the Starlet is the Uk export. A rebadged Brownie 127. :D

BrowniesAreCool
02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Here's my No. 2 Folding Pocket Brownie Model B:

David Brown
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Do you mean a brownie Starmite?

No.

ChristopherCoy
04-12-2012, 09:14 PM
As of 4pm this afternoon, I own 5 Brownie Hawkeyes..... None of which have arrived yet. :cool:

epp
06-07-2012, 06:46 PM
I have a Baby Brownie Special (from 1942) here, found in my grandfather's attic when I was a child. Still works today.

ChristopherCoy
06-10-2012, 06:13 AM
I've bought two more since my last post, so I'm now up to 7 Hawkeyes! :D

Sirius Glass
06-10-2012, 07:11 AM
There are better when baked with a lid of marijuana. Even better with two lids.

I do not collect them. Instead I eat them. That said I just bought one Brownie Hawkeye flash model since it was my first camera. I have no plans in using it.

camperbc
06-29-2012, 01:06 AM
I have 42 Brownie cameras:

My general plan is to keep the best example of each for display then choose a second example to take out and shoot. The rest I want to find homes for but it's hard to know where to look or who to ask.
It's not necessarily about the money or trade value of the cameras but it's more about finding somebody who appreciates them for what they are. There are so few people who even understand what they are, let alone what they are worth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi Randy,

I have two absolutely flawless Brownies; a Flash Six-20 (with original large and unwieldy flash attachment, including bulb) and Target Six-16. My other Kodaks are a mint Duaflex "I" and a beautifully pristine 1917 Autographic 1A which truly looks like it has never been used before.

Getting back to the Brownies, I am wondering if someone could please provide some insight as to which models are known to have the best image quality? (assuming of course that some were better than others) I am looking forward to using all four of my Kodaks this summer for capturing my Fogo Island landscapes.

I became positively "hooked" on Brownies when my grandmother gave her lovely Duaflex I to me when I was just a young boy, some 40 years ago. I don't know what became of it; just disappeared one day. I recently purchased one identical to it and in perfect shape, both cosmetically and mechanically. A beautiful little camera.

Randy, if you are serious about parting with some of your Brownies, I would love to purchase from you. I am only interested in collecting Brownies that are in pristine condition, and yes, I would indeed be wanting to actually use them. If you have any in great shape that you may wish to part with, please get back to me by email or PM, and we can discuss it further.

Glen

Peltigera
07-28-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't collect brownies but I have a Brownie Vecta from the early 1970s.

54506This was my first camera when I was twelve and I used it until the Instamatics came out and the cost of photography fell drastically. I recently put of roll of 127 film from EFKE through it - currently waiting for the film to come back from the developers.

z3guy
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I don't collect them but I have two box models that I've adapted to wet plate.

Paul

Eric Rose
11-19-2012, 10:43 AM
No but I collect their mothers.....:p

AgX
11-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Over here Brownie's are pastries... A new-german term that recently came over from the US.

Aside of camera collectors no-one will think of cameras. And so far I only saw 1 Kodak Brownie at flea-markets. And that encounter was not even in Germany, but in Belgium.

ChristopherCoy
11-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I just won my 6th... YAYYYYY!! Which is actually like my 12th considering all the others that I've sold in recent months! LOL

tessar
11-23-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't collect them, but I have a No. 3 Brownie box (3 f-stops, 2 shutter speeds), still working. It took great pictures on 122 film when you could still get it. Can't beat a 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 in. negative.

hoffy
11-23-2012, 05:12 PM
I have a box of them. I think there are 4 or 5 that I got from my Uncle's estate. Some appear to work, others, well, not so well. I should see if I can get a spool and give a few of them a go.