PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else collect Brownies?

Pages : [1] 2

BrowniesAreCool
02-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Does anyone else include any Kodak Brownies in their collection? If so, do you shoot with them? They're lovely cameras really. Amazing to think that these little cardboard/metal boxes still take these wonderful photos. And there's always the Folding Brownies. ;)

Clay2
02-09-2012, 11:26 PM
I don't have any box camera models but do have a Brownie Reflex 127, non-synchro model and two Brownie

Starflash 127 cameras.

Best regards,

/Clay

Klainmeister
02-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I eat them too quick to collect any substantial amount.

/beer

ColdEye
02-10-2012, 12:49 AM

/beer

When I eat brownies I feel so calm. It's likes it brings me to another world. :D

DWThomas
02-10-2012, 01:24 AM
I have a Brownie Target Six-20 (http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/brownietgt620) box camera my parents gave me new in 1949 or 1950 -- and it still works. Must have been a good investment!

tony lockerbie
02-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Kazillions of them, in all colours....forget the Holgas etc., Brownies rule!

BrowniesAreCool
02-10-2012, 04:05 AM
Amen.
You have colours? Awwww, I'm jealous. ;)
I currently have:
No. 2 Folding Pocket Brownie Model B
No. 2 Brownie Model E (2x)
No. 2 Brownie Model F
No. 3 Brownie Model B
Brownie Hawkeye
Brownie 127, Second Model
Six-20 Brownie E
Brownie Six-20 Model F
Brownie Flash III
Brownie Reflex Synchro Model
Brownie Cresta
Six-20 Brownie Junior
Six-20 Popular Brownie (2x)

I also have a few non-brownie box cameras:
Kodak Hawkeye Ace
Ansco Dollar
Box Ensign 2 1/4 B
Ensign E29
Ensign Ful-Vue
Coronet Twelve-20

To be honest, I collect anything and everything! :laugh:

Mike Wilde
02-10-2012, 08:38 AM
There is a collection of Brownies, and all of the turn of last century photo advertising ephemera and even small doll figurines, that goes on display intermittently at different Toronto area spring camera shows from year to year.

The shows in question are run by the Photographical Historical Society of Canada.
They have a web site, PHCS.ca.
On there is a reasonable back archive of their old newsletters.
I know they ran an article on the collector sometime in the last few years. He has quite a ton of stuff Brownie related.

jnanian
02-10-2012, 08:42 AM
i use and collect box cameras of all types.
and i have been known to purchase, refurbish and sell
falling plate box cameras too.

i would rather use a box camera than anything else to be honest .. they are freeing .

john

Valerie
02-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I have several. My favorite is a Hawkeye with a flipped lens.

BrowniesAreCool
02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Flipped lens? Nice. I love the dreamy shots. Maybe I'll flip the lens on my Hawkeye some day. At the moment the screws on the inside are immovable. :(
I forgot to add; I also have the Brownie 110 Camera. ;)

cliveh
02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Does anyone else include any Kodak Brownies in their collection? If so, do you shoot with them? They're lovely cameras really. Amazing to think that these little cardboard/metal boxes still take these wonderful photos. And there's always the Folding Brownies. ;)

No, but if you are into box cameras, check out this

http://box-camera.blogspot.com/

ME Super
02-10-2012, 01:00 PM

/beer

I too prefer to eat them instead of collect them. :munch: :D

Worker 11811
02-10-2012, 01:27 PM
I have 42 Brownie cameras:

10 - Baby Brownie
6 - Baby Brownie Special
1 - Brownie 2A Model C
2 - Brownie Hawkeye
3 - Brownie Hawkeye Flash
2 - Brownie Holiday
1 - Brownie Holiday Flash
1 - Brownie Reflex
1 - Brownie Scouts
1 - Brownie Starlet
4 - Brownie Target Six-16
9 - Brownie Target Six-20
1 - Brownie No. 3

I've probably got another dozen or so cameras that I haven't even cataloged yet.
I would like to take some of these Brownies out and shoot them but, like the old woman who lived in a shoe, I've got so many cameras I don't know what to do.
So many cameras and so little time.

My general plan is to keep the best example of each for display then choose a second example to take out and shoot. The rest I want to find homes for but it's hard to know where to look or who to ask.
It's not necessarily about the money or trade value of the cameras but it's more about finding somebody who appreciates them for what they are. There are so few people who even understand what they are, let alone what they are worth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

clayne
02-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Send them to BrowniesAreCool?

BrowniesAreCool
02-10-2012, 02:31 PM
LOL.
You own the No. 3 Brownie? It's awesome, isn't it? :D
The brownie holiday isn't that readily available in the UK. :p
Come to think of it, neither is the Brownie Hawkeye, but I got the flash model for 5. ;)
I love the look of the brownie targets, but again, not very common at all in the UK. Ah well, off to eBay again! :laugh:
Hang on, is that the US-built Starlet, or the UK export?

BainDarret
02-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I still have my Dad's 1925 No. 2 black Brownie. Made in Canada in 1925.

Worker 11811
02-10-2012, 03:45 PM
This is the Starlet I have.
This isn't a picture of my camera but it's the same model.
Mine is in similar condition. Maybe a hair bit nicer. Don't remember. It's been a while since I packed it away.
(Everything is stored in military ammo boxes with packets of silica gel inside.)

The No. 3 is still in working order, as far as I can tell but needs some cleanup.
Again, haven't had the opportunity to fully assess it.

Here's a question. If I have multiple examples of a camera, for example the "Hawkeye" and the "Hawkeye Flash" but I don't have room to keep both of them, do you suppose it's better to keep the flash model and find a new home for the standard one?

If the right person comes along, I might be interested in selling or horse trading some of these (and other) cameras.

David Brown
02-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Alas, I no longer have it, but I learned to do this with a Brownie Starflash. I do have a few other models in the "collection".

nsurit
02-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm with Valerie, flipped lens Hawkeyes rock, but don't drop them like a rock or you will have bunch of Brownie pieces. Bill Barber