PDA

View Full Version : Old Direct Positive Camera

RogerStarnes
02-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi, new guy here, Roger Starnes. Thank you for having me. I need to get D88 developer for an old Direct Postive Camera my uncle has left to me. It uses sheet film and has a dark room on the Kodak Camera. I need any help I can get; I would love to take photos with this camera before my uncle passes away. He and my aunt traveled the US and took family photos with this camera for 40 years.

thank you,
Roger

Ian Grant
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Wewlcome to APUG

The developer's not that special but you do need direct positive material, Harman/Ilford make a direct positive paper that will fit your needs.

This is D-88

Kodak D-88 developer for reversal processing

Sodium sulphite (anh) 45 g
Hydroquinone 22.5 g
Boric acid 5.5 g
Potassium bromide 2.5 g
Sodium hydroxide 22.5 g
Water to make 1 litre

Use full strength. De vDirect Positive Paper 45 seconds at 20C, rinse, bleach for 30 seconds in R-9, rinse, clear in CB-1, rinse, re-expose, redevlop in T-19 or D-88, wash, and dry.

This is a developer similar to those used in Photo-booths, however the Harman Direct Positive paper (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/product.asp?n=66&t=Photographic+Papers) needs far simpler processing as it's a true direct reversal material just needing dev, stop, fix and wash - so no reversal processing. Ideal :D

Ian

jnanian
02-15-2012, 02:36 PM
hi roger

good luck with your project, it sounds like a fun time!

john

ps. welcome to apug!

fotch
02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Hello Roger and welcome to APUG. Would love to see a picture of this rig, if you get a chance to post one. Good luck.

RogerStarnes
02-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks to all of you, I'm on the right track. I'll take photos of this old camera and load them down.

wow,
thank you,

RogerStarnes
02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks to all of you, I'm on the right track. I'll take photos of this old camera and load them down.

wow,
thank you,

I setup an Album called "Photos of Roger Starnes" and added a single camera photo; and others from a time long gone.
The camera is lying on its side and has the chemical tanks attached to the bottom. The camera can be used without these if you like. My uncle used them only when he didn't have a dark room handy.

You kind people help me find the Direct Positive paper and someone to make the D88 developer.
I got the D88 mix from Photographers Formulary Inc, and the paper fron FreeStyle in Hollywood.
Thank you,