$5

http://denverphotosociety.org/SwapMeet.html

Be there. Aloha.

pbromaghin
04-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Bump

mathomas
04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I hope to make it. Didn't spend any $$ last year. Maybe this year...

Dshambli
04-09-2012, 09:38 PM
If anyone sees my Rolleicord, pick it up and enjoy it. I'll have to go back to Denver sometime so that my last memory isn't losing my Rolleicord. However, I did get a roll of Ektachrome developed that had one picture from my Colorado trip, which is pretty cool. It was a pleasant surprise.

pbromaghin
04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Any distinguishing marks on that Rollei?

Dshambli
04-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Any distinguishing marks on that Rollei?

You could say that. There was a very distinctive "1179205" on the front. That was the serial. I don't know if you saw my post when it happened, but I visited and my Rolleicord III and D80 were stolen out of a car. The D80 serial was 3019451. I've replaced the Rolleicord as I said (which has been the only one I was really concerned about replacing), but if you see them, honestly I would just recommend telling the police. We filed a report and they have the serials. But to be honest, I doubt they'll turn up. I just hope they found good homes and that the Rolleicord isn't being used as a bong. Good luck at the meet though, I hope you find something good.

dehk
04-10-2012, 09:18 PM
"There was a very distinctive "1179205" " lol.

pbromaghin
04-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Yes, I remember the thread. It sucks that it happened. It's doubtful that it will appear at this show, as most of the dealers there get their stuff from trolling estate sales. If I make it to the sale (which is doubtful right now) I will check any Rollei's I see for that number.

There are a couple of used film equipment places in Denver. Have you thought of contacting them and giving them a heads up? The biggest one is The Camera Trader at 303-781-5778. Then there's Englewood Camera (much nicer guys) at 303-797-0700.

Denverdad
04-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I'll be there (once again). I just can't decide whether it will be as a buyer or seller! For the first time I am considering getting a table and selling off some unneeded items. But that would put a serious damper on my ability to wander around in the quest to satisfy my GAS needs. So I'm torn. :(

Jeff

Dshambli
04-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes, I remember the thread. It sucks that it happened. It's doubtful that it will appear at this show, as most of the dealers there get their stuff from trolling estate sales. If I make it to the sale (which is doubtful right now) I will check any Rollei's I see for that number.

There are a couple of used film equipment places in Denver. Have you thought of contacting them and giving them a heads up? The biggest one is The Camera Trader at 303-781-5778. Then there's Englewood Camera (much nicer guys) at 303-797-0700.

I contacted them. I contacted a few places there but nothing came up. I figure they'll never show up.

pbromaghin
04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
I'll be there (once again). I just can't decide whether it will be as a buyer or seller! For the first time I am considering getting a table and selling off some unneeded items. But that would put a serious damper on my ability to wander around in the quest to satisfy my GAS needs. So I'm torn. :(

Jeff

Get a table in the middle and you can see all the rest from there!

pbromaghin
04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
I'll probably have to get there about 9 when the doors open. Does anybody know if that is when the exhibitors show up too, or do they get in earlier to set up?

Oh duh. Checking the website shows the dealers set up at 7.

mathomas
05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I'll be there wearing my APUG T-shirt. Hope to arrive around 10:00am. That is, if my lovely wife doesn't drag me off to Buena Vista.

pbromaghin
05-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Got there around 9:30 and stayed till noon. There were a lot more sellers and buyers than I remember seeing in the last couple of years, much more equipment for sale, lots of young people who sounded knowledgeable. It was very encouraging. Denver ProPhoto had a table and the guy from Victory Camera was there. All his stuff looked pretty new, like he'd put some time into cleaning it up for presentation. Oh yeah, Mikes was there too, adding nothing.

I brought my Future Son In Law (FSIL) who I had infected with the film bug last fall. He processed his first roll of B&W the night before and was really pumped for the show. Giddy, almost. We did a lot of talking, even more listening and by the time we left he was pretty much in shock from all the shower of old-codger knowledge.

We bought a whole darkroom set with a nice, older Beseler 23c for $10. I'm not really sure which of us actually bought it. We were taking one last swing through before leaving and a guy we had talked to earlier caught our attention and said we could have it for $10. I thought he was joking. I have all the darkroom I need right now and told him my wife would shoot me if I brought more gear into the house. Then FSIL said, "We can tell her it's mine", and that sealed the deal. We each were down to our last $5. It's probably just as well he became the owner as we were driving home.

I got a power winder for my Minolta, something I've been wanting for a couple of years; a 5-reel Patterson tank from the freebie bin that should really help with my backlog of rolls awaiting processing; and an extended PC cable that wouldn't work when I tested it at home (the flash-end plug is different from what I have). I had spent the last 2 months writing down specific items to look for but couldn't find it before leaving the house. That probably saved me a bunch of money. Was sorely tempted by a beautiful old 5x7 view camera, looking very usable with a nice modern lens; and a Century Graphic in really great shape. In fact, it seemed like the old equipment was in better condition than in other years.

All in all, I was pretty happy with my self-restraint, really only succumbing to spontaneous GAS with the darkroom purchase, but that was almost free. It was great to see so many of the sellers being so free with advice for FSIL once they realized he was an enthusiastic beginner. He had a great time, too and was really surprised at how the time had flown when we had to leave.

Derek Lofgreen
05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Wow, sounds like it was a much better show than the one went too a while back. I thought is was a waist of time but it seems like there may be more life in it now. I will have to check it out next time.

D.

pbromaghin
05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Derek - I'm not sure, but I want to say they opened up the room to double the size it was last spring. There was a lot more energy in the room and, getting there at 9:30, the main parking lot was full so I had to park farther out. That never happened before.

toro_mike
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
I thought it was a great show this time. I agree that some of the past ones had been pretty weak, but I had a hint that this one might be better. I showed up at 10:30am and stayed an hour or so (maybe, time flies and I certainly lost track!).

I am very happy with my acquisitions this time and it was very worthwhile for me. I picked up a ton of Kodak Supra Endura color paper (at least 300 sheets of 8x10 and 11x14 unopened, then a random amount of 8x10 in several opened boxes) that is only slightly expired and was probably stored properly. Either way, it's fun to play with expired paper especially when the cost was next to nothing. I also walked out with an Eastman 2D 8x10 (with 4 film holders, a nice lens, new ground glass, excellent bellows and a big military case) for a great, nay spectacular, price. I took an 8x10 paper tube from the free pile as well as most of the people told me that I'd eventually get tired of tray developing in the pitch black .

My 10 year old daughter also walked out with two cameras (one free and one for cheap), so the bug has certainly spread!

I'm sorry I missed you Peter. I kept an eye out, so if you saw me and I was oblivious, I blame all of the stuff to look at! Mike T. was there while I was making my final decision on a camera and I left shortly thereafter (sorry about disappearing Mike :blink:)

pbromaghin
05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Oh, shoot, I was hoping to see you there. You're right, it probably was because of all the stuff. There was just way too much to look at and I felt responsible for FSIL, not wanting him to get in GAS trouble. You walked out with an 8x10? Wow, that's almost a life-changing commitment. I was really impressed at the quantity of nice looking LF gear that was available.

toro_mike
05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
There was so much good stuff and my wife did a good job keeping me in check... at least until I whipped out the checkbook for the 8x10 :)

She recongnizes the deal I got and now has no problem with my purchase. 8x10 is a dream I've had for a long time and I warmed up on a 4x5 Speed Graphic, so I think I'm ready.

Well, hopefully we'll catch up at the next one!

Denverdad
05-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Well I ended up taking the plunge, and decided to play "vendor" for the first time. It went reasonably well given the modest set of gear I hoped to part with, and the bottom-of-the-barrel table location I had (that's what I get for making last minute arrangements). My main sales were a nice Beseler 23CII with both heads and accessories that I managed to get $90 for, and a large box of old print paper. For the paper I felt lucky that I got 10$ for the whole box, but I was mostly just glad that I didn't have to lug that heavy box back to my basement! In the end, I cleared a little over $100 (after subtracting the cost of the table space), so I can't complain.

The worst part (as I anticipated) was not being able to get away from my table much to wander about and check out all the cool gear! Despite that basic frustration, I still had a pretty good time though. At the last minute, my 8 year old son decided that he wanted to come along and hang out as my "assistant." So the best part was just having his company. I especially appreciated him after lunch when things started slowing down to a crawl. In any event, it has been really gratifying to read everyone's accounts here, and to hear of some of your great finds.

As for the room, I'm pretty sure that the space was the same size provided previously (this was my third or fourth time so I am rather familiar with the venue). But I do agree that there seemed to be more attendees this time - especially early on. And that is great! I expect to be a buyer again next time, so hopefully this is a real trend and the variety will continue to expand.

Jeff