PDA

View Full Version : Who here is buying photographs?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

John McCallum
11-14-2004, 03:20 PM
A very powerful photograph, as are the others on the website. My Spanish isn't very good anymore. I gather the photos are of some open pit mine in Mexico from years ago. Probably the photographer is famous, but I don't know the name. Can you tell us something about him and his photographs, or where to read (in English) about him?
Thanks,Salgado took that image in a Gold Mine in Serra Pelada, Para, Brazil in 1986. His is an extraordinary and prolific photographer. If you like those images, buy his book "Workers".

Daniel Grenier
11-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Just bought another wonderful Nze Palladium print on ebay (a member of our sponsor, The Contact Printers Guild). Again, I was the sole bidder for this terrific print which I bought for a meager $49! What a deal! (for me - certainly not for Nze). I noticed that many of the Guild's prints have gone bid-less over the past weeks - an unfortunate situation for those hard working guys. I would again strongly encourage all APUGers to check out their auctions and bid. You will not regret it.

Nigel Harley
12-13-2004, 12:21 PM
About 18 months ago I opened a small gallery in Bosham, West Sussex with my girlfriend who makes mosaic tables. It is called www.up-the-creek.co.uk

The hardest part was hitting the price for the customer base. The past 6 months have been very good with about 1 to 2 print sales per week (various sizes) being sold. Local prints go down very well as do my floral studies. I have just recently set up online ordering.... but this will take some time to get off the ground as marketing budjets are very low - this is a self-funding hobby at present :-)

And yes I do buy other photographers work.... if others buy my work, then I should buy others.

Nigel

photography is an art of expression.

colrehogan
12-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Up until now, I have only traded my b/w silver work (printed by a lab).

I would like to sell some of my alt-process prints, but as I have only recently just started doing my own printing, I have to improve my techniques and get more and different things in my portfolio.

James Bleifus
12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't have a lot of money so film and other photographic supplies are my priorities (along with food and shelter) but I do buy other peoples' work. Not just photographs but various forms of art. There is something inspiring about having art displayed around me.

Cheers,

James

david b
12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
I have a very good friend who just bought a HCB for $12500 and is now going to start buying cheaper photographers (up to $3000).

Sean
12-13-2004, 04:28 PM
i'm still trying to figure out what "fine art photographs" are. they all seem to be the same to me ..... photographs.

boring landscape photography = fine art?
not so boring landscape photography = fine art?
photography that mimics some "master's" style = fine art?
portrait photography = fine art?
nudes = fine art?
architectural photography = fine art?
street photography = fine art?
combat/documentary photography = fine art?

... i spoke with one of the managers at the only local pro-shop in my area.
i asked what kind of photographs he took, he said " fine art " and then described how he projected slides of violence onto serene landscapes.

i guess that explains what "fine art photography" is ... :confused:

I feel that 'fine art' photographs are more emotionally tied to the artist. I break it down to snapshots, stock type photos, fine art photos -fine art being the ones that dig deep on many levels..