PDA

View Full Version : Ok- what to do with these.....?

Keenevision
03-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Bought nice outfit on "popular bidding site"; here's what we have coming...47690

Now, my plan is to try to use this with photo paper and make paper negs to teach kids at summer day camp about darkroom photography. But I see that I will be receiving some glass plates... 4769147692

I imagine the 'opened' plates are ruined? Can they be re-used? (sorry, new to this Forum, I will be trying to learn alot) And what of the box that appears sealed? If at the very least is it possible to stick photo paper to the glass plates and load them into the holders... I don't imagine there are any septums in the backs....

Any advice/info/links welcome!

Thanks!

Bob K

keithwms
03-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Try printing onto the plates, you will probably get something cool. I have a lot of old plates and sometimes you get something nice. They will be fogged and have low contrast etc but the results can still be quite nice.

Robert Hall
03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Just as a recommendation, I would never open any light sensitive materials in light. Just because they are covered in black paper or plastic, that means little.

At least if you think you might want to try to use them.

If you have a holder for the plates, you can give them a try. I would think you would need some anti-fogging agent such as Benzotriazole to help with fogging.

Keenevision
03-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Robert- I didn't; this is the image from the auction site.... hopefully the other package is still fully closed! :)

Ian Grant
03-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Chances are the seller may have ruined the other plates as well. The exposed plates look in good condition so you could try them you shouldn't need an anti fogging agent - it's not recommeneded with films as it'll cut the speed and you can print through any base fog anyway. Just checked and it was euqivalent to 50 ISO so tyr it at 25 EI

I doubt you'd get modern photopapers to fit with a glass plate as well, unfortunately Single weight papers disappeared some time ago but it's worth a try, some thin card may be better. 9x12 films eay to get as it's still a common European size.

IAn

paul_c5x4
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
You could strip off the old emulsion and recoat the plates with a liquid emulsion (google for SE1 or "Liquid Light").

Whiteymorange
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
If you get plate holders instead of film holders, you can use the exposed plates as backing for the paper. Ole used jam as his adherent, I've used sticky wax (from an old wax-coater used by layout people in the days of dinosaurs). Either way, the paper lies flat on the glass and, though it means that the focal plane is advanced a few thousands of an inch, I don't think it will make a difference. It's an easy way to get started without buying more gear.

jnanian
03-12-2012, 06:42 PM
you could also leave the plates out in the sun with "stuff" on them
i like yard waste, leaves, chains, negatives, plastic ... if it can blow away in the wind
put a piece of glass or saran ( weighted down ) on it ... and make some
cameraless, sunprints.

i've been doing that with glass plates and it is a ton of fun ...
but your actual mileage may vary from the mileage at the factory ...

john