PDA

View Full Version : Inside Analog Photo Radio - Ron Mowrey - Photo Engineer - Where Kodak Went Wrong

Pages : [1] 2

Scott_Sheppard
03-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Hello Everybody:

We have updated iTunes / APUG / Facebook / RSS Feed with a fresh program featuring...

Radio for February 18th 2012 - Ron Mowrey - Photo Engineer - Where Kodak Went Wrong

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/inside-analog-photo-radio/id291806626

Our Facebook Page where you can listen in (and like us :-) !!

http://www.facebook.com/insideanalogphoto

For our friends that don't have or use iTunes... Here is the RSS XML feed for the program.

http://www.insidemacmedia.com/rss/iap.xml

** ENJOY **

Thanks

Scott

Jim Noel
03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Only the Document Tree is evident in the XML link.

PKM-25
03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Does it also discuss what could go right from this point, especially considering Kodak's still outstanding film line up? Because frankly, in terms of what Kodak could have done, the past is done, it does nothing for me personally as a photographer...

SWphoto
03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Scott,

maybe it's on the podcast, but what's up with Kodak and the "out of stock" on so many vendors' websites, esp. for 4x5 Portras? Are they going the way of the dodo?

Rick

Derek Lofgreen
03-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Great interview Scott and Ron. What a great insight into Kodak past decision making, it's no surprise they are where the are today. Good thoughts and prayers to all the retired Kodak folks, I hope you get a longer end of the stick.

D.

EASmithV
03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Looks like Kodak is setting itself up for a hard fall...

Man, now I gotta start either hoarding Tri-X or switching over to Ilford.

Just when I start liking Portra...

PKM-25
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Grrrr...I better listen to this after-all....:blink:

Looks like Kodak is setting itself up for a hard fall...

Man, now I gotta start either hoarding Tri-X or switching over to Ilford.

Just when I start liking Portra...

PKM-25
03-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Good work Ron and Scott, quite a problematic attempt at a transition for sure.

Judging by the current scale of operation and the expected drop in motion picture consumables, it's really tough to say how this is going to look in even a year, let alone 2-3.

Chazzy
03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Great interview. Thanks to Ron and Scott.

Photo Engineer
03-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Coming soon from Scott, an interview between him, myself and Bob Shanebrook. Very interesting subject matter and it touches somewhat on this current interview.

Thans all for listening and for your comments.

PE

zsas
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Scott/Ron - Just listened, amazing, that floppy with the holes in it?! Wow...

Photo Engineer
03-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Andy;

That happened to all Double Sided floppies about 10 years earlier but for a different reason and it was not as bad. Kodak somehow ignored that lesson. It was pressure on 2 heads squeezing the diskette and the wear on the magnetic heads embedded in the ceramic, which itself had bubbles. Jewelers Rouge is an abrasive and in simplest terms the medium on a diskette is exactly that!

PE

keithwms
03-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Nice work Scott and Ron! I made it through about 80% of it before I wanted to stab my eardrums. informative but rather disconcerting!

Photo Engineer
03-12-2012, 10:48 PM
??????

kb3lms
03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Great program guys!

Dovetails very well with what I, too, saw at EK from 1984 through 1995. I knew a number of the guys that worked at the Gerber plant and some came into my group after the demise of that project. A really talented bunch of (working) people, like most of EK, but really made you wonder what was happening at the top.

FWIW, during the demise of the high capacity floppy disk project, it started being called the EktaFlop around the Elmgrove plant. (little insider trivia there) Whatever happened to EP anyway? I can't imagine there's anything still there? (of Kodak, anyway)

But, I was just a youngster. Ron, you obviously understood much, much more. One interesting thing, though. My group was staffed with a bunch of recent college graduates. (Our manager really had his work cut out for him. :laugh: ) About 1985 we conducted a review of the digital technologies we might employ on our project - kind of a kaizen event, if you will - and we all concluded the game would be over in about 15 years, give or take a few, due to the obviously coming digital capture. So, very new (my group) and experienced people (your group) came to largely the same conclusion but the larger company just couldn't accept it. Amazing.

Anyway, looking forward to more of these excellent programs!

Photo Engineer
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
I love that! Ektaflop!

PE

keithwms
03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
??????

Oh I didn't mean to imply anything negative about the nice interview :) It was just painful to hear about the many management errors and miscalculations....

ME Super
03-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Ron,
You are definitely right about the Electrical Engineers and Chemical Engineers not knowing what the other side was doing. I'm an EE by degree and a software guy by career, and don't pretend to understand 1% of what you film guys were doing at Kodak, only that it worked really well. You Chemical Engineers definitely know your stuff!

You're also definitely right about nobody printing photos at home. Why, when you can upload and print on someone else's printer/lightjet so inexpensively (and conveniently, I might add), would you want to print on your own printer with less than stable inks? If Kodak was going to go into the printer business, they should've beat Fuji to the punch with their Frontier digital minilabs and dry minilabs (shh, don't tell the guys I work with that I prefer prints on real photo paper, not inkjet!), not by tring to get into the home printing market.

FWIW, I'd much rather have a color laser printer than an inkjet. Much lower cost of operation than inkjet. And I still wouldn't print photos for sharing or putting in photo albums on it - maybe the occasional DVD cover for home videos, but that would be about it.

ME Super

hoffy
03-13-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm going to listen to this on the way home.

With all due respect to Ron and Bob (for the upcoming podcast, I presume?), I really want to know whether Scott has had contact with anyone from Kodak since the filing? THAT is the interview I want to hear!

Sean
03-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Great interview guys!