PDA

View Full Version : What do you shoot with?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

polyglot
03-13-2012, 11:53 PM
RZ67. Makes a photographic outing quite the social occasion, particularly when the Japanese tourists want to have their photo taken with you and the camera.

And you can put it on a tripod, prefocus and wait with cable release in hand while completely "not looking" at your subject.

BradleyK
03-14-2012, 01:46 AM
I love using my Hasselblad for street work. I find people either don't notice you when you're looking down the WLF, or they respond positively. I also like a challenge, it makes me more thoughtful about what and how I shoot. I'd still like a nice rangefinder with a fast lens though, for low light work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassy501cm

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/6776935360_2e772a4684_b.jpg

Congrats AMSP. You and Dan (PKM-25) have piqued my curiosity: On my next "street outing" I will forgo the Leica(s) and bring out the one of Blads with an 80mm (loaded, of course, with either Tri-x or HP-5) and give it a go.

amsp
03-14-2012, 05:25 AM
Congrats AMSP. You and Dan (PKM-25) have piqued my curiosity: On my next "street outing" I will forgo the Leica(s) and bring out the one of Blads with an 80mm (loaded, of course, with either Tri-x or HP-5) and give it a go.

Go for it, it's tons of fun :)

stavrosk
03-14-2012, 06:16 AM
A Nikon F100.
After my FE2 with the split screen for focusing I find it much harder to focus.
Especially in low light situations.
I hope I will practice enough to never miss the focus.

Fotophreek
03-14-2012, 07:07 AM
My equipment isn't fancy and I'm no pro by any stretch. But, I started with a Canonet rangefinder (Sadly in disrepair). I currently use a Canon AE-1 and a Minolta Maxxum 7000 as my primary cameras and a Polaroid 600 and Land Colorpack II for fun.

pstake
03-14-2012, 09:46 AM
I love using my Hasselblad for street work. I find people either don't notice you when you're looking down the WLF, or they respond positively. I also like a challenge, it makes me more thoughtful about what and how I shoot. I'd still like a nice rangefinder with a fast lens though, for low light work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassy501cm

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/6776935360_2e772a4684_b.jpg

Yes ... just like everybody else, I really like this photo, AMSP. Thanks for sharing!

I can see the merits of the waist-level viewfinder as well as the stand-near-populated-area-with-large-format method. Unfortunately I can't afford either right now. Hass is def. on my permanent wish list. Large format, perhaps one day as well.

I think that something I'm taking away from this conversation, is 1) that I'm not the only one out there shooting street with an SLR; 2) many of us have similar experiences / reactions from people while shooting street and 3) finding a way to not look at your subjects directly (i.e. under a curtain of a large format, down into the WLF) can direct attention away from you.

amsp
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Yes ... just like everybody else, I really like this photo, AMSP. Thanks for sharing!

I can see the merits of the waist-level viewfinder as well as the stand-near-populated-area-with-large-format method. Unfortunately I can't afford either right now. Hass is def. on my permanent wish list. Large format, perhaps one day as well.

I think that something I'm taking away from this conversation, is 1) that I'm not the only one out there shooting street with an SLR; 2) many of us have similar experiences / reactions from people while shooting street and 3) finding a way to not look at your subjects directly (i.e. under a curtain of a large format, down into the WLF) can direct attention away from you.

Thanks, here's a couple of tips n' tricks I use myself... 1.) Look ahead to spot the moment before it happens. 2.) Prefocus and walk into the shot, or wait for the subject to walk into it, with a Hassy WLF you will see it snap into focus nicely. 3.) Pretend you're focusing on something else, if the subject notices you but isn't sure look past them and keep walking. This will convince them you were photographing something else. If they notice you and there's no doubt you were shooting them, SMILE! 4.) Sometimes it's just good manners to ask first, most of the time people will say yes. If they don't agree, don't be the asshole that takes the shot anyway. 5.) Be relaxed and have fun, people pick up on your vibe.

Cheers

pstake
03-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Strangely, I've devolved and found it better. Been shooting with my Yashica FX-2 and Tessar pancake. The FX-2 has always been a favorite for me because of its 3-m functional simplicity. I realized while street shooting one day how quiet the shutter is, in comparison to the FX-3 ... and even compared the RTS (The RTS 2 is equally quiet) ... anyway, something about seems to make me a little less aggressive-looking, which is good. Still deal with some of the same problems but I think this may be my new street set up.

E. von Hoegh
03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
What do you shoot with?

For rabbits and birds, I use a shotgun - an old Remington pump. For deer, I use a .303 Enfield. For targets, I use a BSA .22rf, and a home built .22/250. For amusement , I use the above, plus an old Krag, a Schmidt-Rubin, and a .45 revolver.

JohnMeadows
03-22-2012, 11:47 AM
I've recently picked up a Leica IIIb and a CV 21/4 and I can definitely see the appeal of this combo for street work!

jp498
03-22-2012, 12:51 PM
OO buck and slugs. Inside buildings I opt for #4 shot for max body damage and less wall penetration.

Was gonna ask which choke you'd use, but if it's buck and slug, probably no choke.

I've got a double barrel stoeger. I can have two different choices loaded at the same time. Could be a timeless prop for wedding photos too.

pstake
03-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Was gonna ask which choke you'd use, but if it's buck and slug, probably no choke.

I've got a double barrel stoeger. I can have two different choices loaded at the same time. Could be a timeless prop for wedding photos too.

Having received my formal education in New England, I should have known that my choice of verb would be exploited as a double entendre, particularly by APUG'rs in the lofty latitudes. :-)

Hikari
03-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Mamiya 6
Horseman SW612
Widelux F8

E. von Hoegh
03-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Having received my formal education in New England, I should have known that my choice of verb would be exploited as a double entendre, particularly by APUG'rs in the lofty latitudes. :-)

For turkeys, I use a .22rf and shoot their heads off.:)

EASmithV
03-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Benelli Montefeltro 12 with 28" barrel and crio chokes

cjbecker
03-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Browning a5's, I shoot trap 12g and skeet 20g.

Thomas Bertilsson
03-26-2012, 08:53 AM
My heart and my brain, hopefully... ;)
The more the camera and the lens is out of the way, the more likely that is of happening.

John Austin
03-26-2012, 10:03 AM
For all those misreading this and using it as a forum for ballistics boasting, go for extreme wide angle and use a hand grenade, holding it firmly during use

E. von Hoegh
03-26-2012, 10:54 AM
For all those misreading this and using it as a forum for ballistics boasting, go for extreme wide angle and use a hand grenade, holding it firmly during use

We're not misreading it, but trying to distinguish between taking photographs and shooting firearms. I happen to have cameras and guns, so in an attempt to prevent confusion, I say "shooting" when I'm using guns, and "photographing" when I'm using cameras. I also say "driving" when using an automobile.

Those who feel good about using imprecise language may continue to do so, however they have no cause to gripe when they are not understood. As Mark Twain wrote, "the difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between 'lightning' and 'lightningbug'".

Perhaps you should retain that grenade for personal use. ;)

daleeman
03-26-2012, 11:19 AM

I usually have my 38 + P, J frame S&W tucked in my belt if the camera about my neck sets off some unsuspecting person on the street I capture with my camera. Never had to swap "formats" while out shooting.
YET. ;)