PDA

View Full Version : What do you shoot with?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

StoneNYC
10-29-2012, 09:52 PM
I've uploaded more street shots to my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassy501cm/), all done with my Hassy. In case anyone is interested :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7076/6869122168_f3f39bf3bc_b.jpg

That shot of the kid is fantastic! Not sure I could have gotten that with my Mamiya RZ67, I'm impressed.

can we get details? Lens, film, if you remember any settings?

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yashinoff
11-01-2012, 07:27 AM
I've been using an Exa too lately:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8450/8025601424_9bf3060f37.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/berangberang/8025601424/)
exa (http://www.flickr.com/photos/berangberang/8025601424/) by berangberang (http://www.flickr.com/people/berangberang/), on Flickr

I've run about five rolls through it this summer, but haven't developed them yet so I don't really know if it has been a success. But it is rather small, rather quiet, and you can shoot "from the hip" without losing the ability to compose your shot, thanks to the WLF.
It is also rather friendly looking and sometimes people ask you about it.

Relayer
11-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Canon EOS 300 + Sigma 2.8/24 + Tokina 19-35, Yashica CC/GX ... but last time I like Zorki-C (russian leica copy) + Jupiter-12 2.8/35 + Jupiter-3 1.5/50

Taslim Abdani
11-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I also use Contax Slrs (RX and Aria) with Zeiss lenses as well as the Konica Hexar AF with its fixed 35 wide f2 lens. For shooting street you don't really need top shelf equipment. You do need reliable equipment. The Contax cameras are/were top shelf and reliable. I don't find them so loud since I shoot mostly in NYC where the street noise seems to drown any shutter noise out. The Hexar is quiet and very fast. It, for me, is the very best camera for street photography since it is small and fast.

Rodchenko
04-22-2013, 03:54 PM
I use either a Minox 35GL, a Yashica Electro 35GSN (but I'm going to sell that), or my lovely Olympus 35SP. I think I'd be too self-conscious to use my SLR (and I'm impressed by some of the gear people in this thread have used on the street), but the eccentric WTF-factor is probably high enough that I reckon I could get away with using my Zeiss Ikon Nettar folder. Must give it a go.

Felinik
04-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Most often one of two Chinon K-mount bodies with my Voigtlander 40mm f/2 lens. In the same drawer the alternatives are my Contax g1 with 45mm or 28mm, or Konica fs-1 with 40mm f/1.8.

Often the Contax or Konica goes for color emulsions, while the normal state of the Chinon/Voigtlander is 400 iso fomapan @320.

The Chinon only says "klong" when shooting, very discrete, while the other two are by far more noisy having electronical film transport etc.

polyglot
04-22-2013, 07:58 PM
More recent silliness: street with an RZ67, fisheye and 70mm film (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24125157@N00/8642870494/in/photostream).

No, I was not unnoticed ;) I asked permission for this one as the lens was about 2 feet from her knee and I'm pretty sure from the expression that she didn't expect me to get that close!

Gerald C Koch
04-22-2013, 09:44 PM
I think the point that some people are making is that threads like this one are rather pointless. They don't care what camera people use nor should anyone else. It is the photograph itself that matters not the device that made it. I might add that threads that ask "What is your favorite ..." are also pretty stupid.

I too prefer a S&W 38.

polyglot
04-22-2013, 10:17 PM
I think the point that some people are making is that threads like this one are rather pointless. They don't care what camera people use nor should anyone else. It is the photograph itself that matters not the device that made it. I might add that threads that ask "What is your favorite ..." are also pretty stupid.

I too prefer a S&W 38.

Hear hear. Ya takes ya camera, ya composes yer scene, ya has yer photo. Some are easier for some purposes but you should be able to take (most) photos with any camera.

Gonna disagree with you on the .38 though ;)

marciofs
06-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Nikon F3.
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Nikon 80mm 1.8
HP5.

ambaker
06-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Yashica Mat
Mamiya 645 Super
Yashica Electro 35 GTN

.454 super mag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

h.v.
06-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Konica Hexar AF & Yashica-A, mostly. Occasionally I use SLRs.

JimO
06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Curiously, I have found that using a big camera on a tripod makes me "invisible" when doing street photography. I'm "part of the furniture" rather than an annoying pest that buzzes after people with a camera fixed to my face.

while not in the 8x10 range, i do use mamiya 645's...

i agree with maris, quiet and small isn't mandatory in much street photography. people have noticed me taking their picture. once in awhile i got snarl, but it really wasn't in anger - more a formality at having their picture taken. most often once they notice - they smile and pose and i have to pretend to shot and wait till the "magic moment" returns. often i'm interacting with the subject whose pleased, but shy.

small and unobtrusive is necessary in some circumstances... often though, it is the photographer who thinks those times are more numerous than there really are.

imho...

marciofs
06-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Curiously, I have found that using a big camera on a tripod makes me "invisible" when doing street photography. I'm "part of the furniture" rather than an annoying pest that buzzes after people with a camera fixed to my face.

I set up by prefocussing and framing on an promising spot, shop window, ticket booth, fountain, and the like, where interesting looking people may do quirky things. I watch the unfolding scene attentively but casually and I never look at anyone through the camera. Sometimes the reflection in the lens filter tells me my "target" is in the right spot. Because I fuss with the camera controls, make meter readings, occasionally press the cable release, wind the film while standing in front of the camera, no one is certain when I have made an exposure or who has been photographed; not even the small, easily bored, transient crowd that gathers to watch what I do!

My most "conspicuous" camera is the Mamiya RB 67, a TLR is even less visible, and the 8x10 view camera may as well not be there at all. I guess the "street" psychology is that when the camera does not "chase" it's not a predator in pursuit of prey
Shooting with tripod seems to catch less attention than handheld. I think it is because handheld you can point fast at anybody and shoot. With tripod they know they will not be in the picture if they don't stand in front of it. (even though sometimes I use wade angle lenses and they think they are not in the shot but they are).

What really makes people stop and stand still looking at me is when I bring my pinhole camera to streets. People always ask what I am doing.

lensworker
11-24-2013, 07:11 PM
what do seasoned street shooters use for making photographs? What's your primary street-shooting system?

Primary system: Leica M

My go-to street photography kit: Leica M4-P body with my Summicron 28mm f/2 ASPH lens and my Sekonic L-508 meter.

Film: Kodak Tri-X or Fuji Pro 400H if I want to work in color, both of which I develop at home.

BradleyK
11-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Changing things up a bit (no real reason to do so), I have, for the last several weeks, been leaving the M6s at home and begun carrying a single F3HP (sans MD4) with a 50mm F1.2 Ais Nikkor to shoot on the street (no camera bag, no other lenses). I stuff a couple of rolls of HP5 or Tri-X into my jacket pocket and go. The feeling is oddly liberating! While the Nikon will never match the Leica for quickness of focus, I am, by my own admission, getting fairly quick with the Type A screen that came with this particular camera (an $85.00 USD evilbay "win").

smithdoor
11-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Crown Graphic 4x5 with 135 mm lens also as need a 215mm lens it may be the last one ever sold I do know it was the last one sold in Fresno CA. I also have a Pear River I purchase back 1987 and have new put a roll of film in it and digital for computer work. This only way I hunt no bomb bomb Banby lives. I am also a gunsmith and I do not hunt with a gun just a camera.

Dave

lightwisps
11-25-2013, 11:58 AM
I make it simple on my self. I only have 2 cameras. Both Nikon F5s, one for B/W and one for color, so those are all I shoot with. Don

ToddB
12-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Rolleiflex TLR's or Nikon FE

Todd

flatulent1
01-02-2014, 01:48 AM
I don't do a lot of 'street' but when I do it's usually with one of the following...
Mamiya 645 Pro with wlf and 80mm lens
Yashica Mat 124G
EOS RT with 40mm pancake

More often though I just use whatever I happen to have with me.