PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering: May 11-13, 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

jp80874
05-09-2012, 07:41 AM
The local weather for the weekend looks GOOD!!!
A nice range of lighting for all your photography.

Fri. Sunny High 68 Low 50 Chance of rain 0%

Sat. Partly Cloudy High 74 Low 54 Chance of rain 10%

Sun Cloudy High 65 Low 53 Chance of rain 30%

Source Weather.com for Richfield, OH 44286

It looks like we are going to have a few more people than chairs. If you want to be sure you are not standing when the music stops please bring a chair that can stay outside. Please put your name conspicuously on the chair in case we find it Monday and need to know who to thank.

John

mat4226
05-09-2012, 08:50 AM
It looks like I will be able to make it to this session. My sister will be in town to care for Aged Relative, so I should be able to hang around for most of the show. Maybe I shouldn't have said that ...

Thanks for continuing to put these events on, John. They are always great fun. See ya'll on Friday.

Hey Nick! Through the years, I've heard bits and pieces about your Darkroom Automation gear, but have yet to see any in person. If you have the time, would you mind bringing with you a version of your Pyro meter? I'm a visual and hands-on kind of guy, and am looking for a way to smooth out my printing with pyro negs. Most of the time, printing is easy as pie, but there's always one or two of the bunch that look "okay" but vary wildly come printing. Either way, look forward to meeting you Friday! :D

@John With all this nice weather, any chance you might be bring out the BIG guns this weekend? You've already got a volunteer Sherpa for most of the 7x17 gear should you decide to use it. :D

P.S. Have you tried 7x17 x-ray film yet? I'll be bringing some x-ray film samples, it's pretty good stuff, and the price for 100 sheets is what you'd pay for ~3 of a brand name emulsion.

rbender
05-09-2012, 09:15 AM
John thanks for the info packet with map. Gives me a good overview of the area, lots to explore.

I have my chair packed and ready.

Lee L
05-09-2012, 09:45 AM
The web page I keep as a resource for these gatherings is at:

https://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/

There is a Maps page, and clicking on "View APUG NEOH public in a larger map" below the 'summary map' opens google maps with the area, the spots I've put on, and shows a list at the left. You can click on a place in the list and a text box pops up on the map showing the location and address/contact info for that place.

Lee

jp80874
05-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Hey Nick! Through the years, I've heard bits and pieces about your Darkroom Automation gear, but have yet to see any in person. If you have the time, would you mind bringing with you a version of your Pyro meter? I'm a visual and hands-on kind of guy, and am looking for a way to smooth out my printing with pyro negs. Most of the time, printing is easy as pie, but there's always one or two of the bunch that look "okay" but vary wildly come printing. Either way, look forward to meeting you Friday! :D

@John With all this nice weather, any chance you might be bring out the BIG guns this weekend? You've already got a volunteer Sherpa for most of the 7x17 gear should you decide to use it. :D

P.S. Have you tried 7x17 x-ray film yet? I'll be bringing some x-ray film samples, it's pretty good stuff, and the price for 100 sheets is what you'd pay for ~3 of a brand name emulsion.

Mat,

Before you were old enough to come to our events Nick did a weekend of demos with one of his units. Several attendees purchased and still say good things about his products. Unfortunately I already had one from the competition before his demos took place. Nick is welcome to use the darkroom to show & tell, but will there be enough time left over for that with your two demos?

I will be glad to do a 1 on 1 shoot with you of the 7x17 sometime or set it up if folks want to see it. Usually at these events I guide people around and pick up pieces as help is needed. Dolly teaching first grade is a magnificent multitasker. I am a complete failure at it. I do one thing and then I do the next. In this case that usually means I forget something like stopping down the lens while trying to help others and waste the rather expensive sheets of film. It is now $ 9.05 a sheet and I always bracket, usually making the same mistake twice. It is also difficult for me to compose without full concentration. I will be starting a new series with the 7x17 after this event, have made a list of places I want to shoot and would love the company and the heavy lifting some time when you are available. Peter and I often go to a site together, talk about it and then shoot 8x10 alone. The guest room is available for you, no flooded tent needed. For me this isn’t the time to do it as a group thing.

I haven’t tried x-ray film. Certainly the pricing looks good.

John

jp80874
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
The web page I keep as a resource for these gatherings is at:

https://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/

There is a Maps page, and clicking on "View APUG NEOH public in a larger map" below the 'summary map' opens google maps with the area, the spots I've put on, and shows a list at the left. You can click on a place in the list and a text box pops up on the map showing the location and address/contact info for that place.

Lee

Thanks for doing this Lee. For folks that don't have a notebook to take with them, I have hard copy maps put out by the Cuyahoga Valley National Park CVNP. They should be in a stack on the glass table by the pond or just inside the door on a dog crate. I just stole a handful after yesterday’s hike. If you need help locating something ask anyone who has been here before.

John

mat4226
05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Mat,

Before you were old enough to come to our events Nick did a weekend of demos with one of his units. Several attendees purchased and still say good things about his products. Unfortunately I already had one from the competition before his demos took place. Nick is welcome to use the darkroom to show & tell, but will there be enough time left over for that with your two demos?

John

No problem John, I was more or less just looking for a little one-on-one where I could ask Nick some quick questions about the Pyro meter. Hearing that he's demoed them before with success gives me even more confidence in the product. Another demo is certainly something that we won't need after this weekend. ;)

Regarding 7x17 shooting, just let me know the when and where!

Now it's back to the darkroom to get more carbon supplies ready for Friday. :D

rbender
05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks Lee.

Robert

eclarke
05-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Frank Pittel and I will be making the Gathering. I have perused Lee's map and it looks like I have to go to Cleveland and photograph St. Theodosius (I have an onion domed church fetish!) See you all Saturday morning..Evan Clarke

Mat, I'll have my 11x14 with me...

jp80874
05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
So glad you are coming. Be sure to go inside St. Theodosius. It is absolutely stunning. Lee L, his wife and Dolly and I went to dinner around the corner from there, great Turkish food, the night of Mat’s “dapper” show. It was Orthodox Easter. The church was open and gorgeous. 12 onion domes on top. Be sure to try the door. We thought it would be locked, but were happily surprised.

Istanbul Turkish grill 2505 Professor Avenue Cleveland, OH 44113 (216) 298-4450 grillistanbul.com

John

jp80874
05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
It being 10 PM here, Wednesday evening, I have just come in from taking the Girls for their evening stretch. It occurred to me that I should mention to those of you who do not have three 65-75 pound dogs about the house, that though the sky is beautiful, the trees are green and the pond is lovely; when you are walking, your eyes should be where your feet will next step. We have paper towels by the roll, but look where your feet are going and you will be happier.

The ever gracious host.

ic-racer
05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
132 posts on this thread! Should be a good event, looking forward to seeing everyone Friday and Sat! I loaded some 4x5 film holders, but I am like John, in my limited multitasking ability and am hard pressed to both chat and catch up with friends and produce masterpiece works of art at the same time :)

htimsdj
05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Looking forward to it. Jeff Scott and I will carpool to limit the number of cars in John's driveway.

Also, John- hope I can steal a few minutes in your darkroom Saturday morning to load some holders.

Jeff

jp80874
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Lost one. I am disappointed to say Dan Henderson had to cancel

Gained one. Loren Sattler of Toledo asked to join us.

Looking forward to seeing you Dale (ic-racer).

Lots of old friends and new people to meet.

Jeff thanks for the car pooling. You are welcome to use the darkroom any time after 9 AM. Since you know the way to Fry’s farm we may take who ever is ready over to the farm. The Frys are expecting us between 9:30 and 10 AM. We won’t rush you. You can join us when ready. When rushed I always try to put film in upside down and sideways.

I just mowed a long parking strip beside the driveway by the second house.

Someone asked what we use for mosquito protection. We invite lots of people over who stand around talking. It reduces the odds that we will be bitten.

We have had very good luck with “OFF Deep Woods Towelettes 25% Deet.” We buy the little packets in boxes at the grocery store. I am guessing they are also sold at sporting departments or stores. I have been using them for hikes and photography ever since Bill Schwab recommended them for the 2007 Photostock.

Got to go mow some grass. We have good company coming Friday.

John

jp80874
05-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Some requests:

The grass across the drive from our house belongs to my mother in-law. It is so wet from the rains that I was unable to mow it. The garden tractor sank in. I have put up posts and yellow tape to avoid tearing up the yard when parking cars. Please drive down the gravel drive to the next house. I have mowed the edge of the field across from the next house so that you can parallel park then walk up to our house.

Savannah the Labrador that used to swim, jump, bring you a stick, ball or apple to throw is now 13. On pure adrenalin she will jump around for you, but collapse when you turn your head. Please pat her, let her have her dignity, but don’t throw things for her. There are two other younger girls that will be happy to wear you out.

We have a lot of poison ivy around here, not just the three leaves and a thread of a vine you know about. Our poison ivy or poison something can have vines up to two inches thick and leaves as large as your hand. Don’t go in our woods. If you realize you have touched three leaves of any size you supposedly have 15 minutes to wash it off with soap. We have a bar of soap above the kitchen sink that is supposed to be for poison ivy. Come use it please. No promises, but it might help.

Have a great time. Be careful out there and enjoy.

John & Dolly

ic-racer
05-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I spend a few minutes looking for John's schedule in a prior post. Here it is Post #118 for those that may have missed it or need the information: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1339950

djkloss
05-10-2012, 11:43 PM
I spend a few minutes looking for John's schedule in a prior post. Here it is Post #118 for those that may have missed it or need the information: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1339950

looks like I have some catching up to do on my reading!

djkloss
05-10-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm afraid I haven't had much time for extra prints to show, so if you are able please check out my images in the gallery. the doll pics are a real hit. (sorry about the self promotion but what the heck :) )

daleeman
05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
TODAY !!!

Excited, one more day at work and I'll roll up that way right afterwards. I actually have some prints to share from my large format portrait class.

Lee

jp80874
05-11-2012, 07:37 AM
looks like I have some catching up to do on my reading!

Come on over. We will tell you all about it.

John