PDA

View Full Version : N. Georgia, anyone?

Pages : 1 [2]

glbeas
01-31-2005, 05:38 PM
We need a consensus on a meeting up place. Do you want to make your way to the WMA on your own and meet at the Pettijohns Cave parking area Just past the check-in station on Rocky Lane or meet in town (Lafayette)? Or meet at the truck stop at the exit for hwy 136 on I-75 and have breakfast together. Then, except for Doug, who would be coming in from the east we can convoy in. It takes two hours to get there from the Atlanta area, I'm thinking to plan on being at Rocktown by 10am.

Doug, are you clear how to get to Pigeon Mountain from your side?

Let me know how you can best handle it and we will try to work with you and make this enjoyable.

Doug Bennett
01-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I found directions to Rocktown from Lafayette on the web.

Once we know who's going, let's trade some cell phone numbers. Cell phones should work at least until Lafayette.

glbeas
01-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Quite a few cells are going to work on top of the mountain, at least on the brow. Theres a repeater tower out there somewhere that catches the signal.

I'l pm the cell number to you and the rest.

ScottH
02-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Gary, Since we're relatively close we may as well car-pool it. I can drive down to your area, since we can cut west and hop on 75 in Marietta. I'll send a off-list note to you with my cell if you need it again and we'll nail down the details.
Scott

Doug Bennett
02-01-2005, 12:56 PM
I work among serious cavers here in Huntsville, and they're familiar with Rocktown. They highly recommend it, with a caveat: in years past, they've had numerous problems with breakins in the parking area. So, make sure you can get all valuables out of sight in a trunk or some such.

I'll plan to get an early start and maybe hook up with ya'll in Lafayette.

glbeas
02-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Weather forecast for the area is sunny, 61F high. Lokks like a good day to shoot.

f64push
02-05-2005, 08:24 AM
As usual,I have waited until Saturday morning to read my mail and the forum.Enjoy guys,weather should be good. Ron

glbeas
02-06-2005, 10:07 AM
We had 6 people on the trip. Scott Hamming, Mark Craig and I represented the Apug contingent and we had Catherine Costolo and Josh Earhart as well as my wife Dale from the Southeastern Photo Society making up the rest. We were all shooting LF except Scott (MF rangefinder)and Josh was shooting both LF and MF. The weather was perfect. The only unplanned problem was the gravel road up the mountain. It had suffered from the heavy rains recently and was very rough in places. I got 5 8x10 shots and later shot several HIE infrared shots off the brow of the mountain where the hanglider launch was at. We ran into Allen Padgett there, the previous ranger for that area, now retired, and longtime caver and co-auther of the latest bible on vertical rope technique, "On Rope". He was accompanied by his wife and two other friends. We had a good chat and learned quite a bit about some history of the mountain.

Doug Bennett
02-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I should have been the 4th APUGer on the trip. However, I drove about 1/2 mile up the aforementioned road and turned back. Made the best of it, however, and drove over to Cloudland Canyon, a spectacular spot in an area full of spectacular spots.

Gary, I work with a guy named Ed Nicholas. He's head of the local cave rescue squad, and a Fellow of the NSS. He'll be excited to hear that you ran into Allen Padgett; they're old friends, and we sell "On Rope" in our shop.

ScottH
02-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hear you weren't able to get to the top. I can certainly understand why. I took roughly 4 rolls, and will get them developed over the course of the next week, hopefully. My how the time flew... We'll certainly be doing this again, perhaps 6 weeks or so? Should be consistenlt good weather by then. We couldn't have asked for better on Sat., though.

Doug Bennett
02-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah, Scott, I'd love to give it another try. I had mentioned to Gary about the Sipsey Wilderness over here. It would be a longer drive for you Atlanta folks, maybe 4+ hours. But I think you'd be amazed by what you saw there. It's a very magical place, and mid-March would be a great time to go. I'm going backpacking there in a couple of weeks. It's such a great place that my friends and I have always been a little hesitant to brag about it. ;)

I'm going to put a post up on the SE regional forum and try to pull something together.