PDA

View Full Version : Kodak's film sensitizing division gives out 100 pink slips... TODAY !!

Pages : [1] 2

Scott_Sheppard
03-23-2012, 10:15 PM
http://rochesterhomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=308582

"One employee News 8 spoke with on Friday said he and about 100 other workers in Kodak's film sensitizing division were given pink slips."

pstake
03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
What does the "Film sensitizing division" do, exactly?

Photo Engineer
03-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Those are the people who make film!

And, BTW, Channel 10 news reported it as about 40.

PE

Jedidiah Smith
03-23-2012, 10:49 PM
This cannot be a good thing.

Dan Daniel
03-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Anyone know how many people work(ed) in this division total? 40 or 100 of 10,000 is nothing. 40/100 of 300, and I worry.

jcoldslabs
03-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I hope this means 'lean and mean' and not 'sick and dying'.

Jonathan

ME Super
03-23-2012, 11:15 PM
They probably axed the E-6 film folks :( - unless they're long gone in which case double :(

rphenning
03-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Can we merge this thread and the "Kodak Comeback" one for ironic purposes? No? Okay I'll just sit back down.

Never good news to read.

micwag2
03-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Really folks? I wouldn't panic just yet. They are restructuring. Most of the layoffs were voluntary according to the news report. These may have been employees transferred to other lines when some of the more recent films had been cancelled. My hopes is that they are doing this well planned out and they will emerge leaner, meaner, and more profitably competitive.
Remember the auto industry? Bankruptcy, bailouts and restructuring. Now look at some of their profitability reports. They have emerged quite well and their products have improved.

Robert Ridyard
03-24-2012, 07:23 AM
I just came across the following article from last November. It's an interesting read:

http://silverbased.org/plus-x-kodak-woes/#more-479

Sirius Glass
03-24-2012, 11:15 AM
<<sniff>>

Steve Smith
03-24-2012, 11:33 AM
I hope this means 'lean and mean' and not 'sick and dying'.

Sometimes the former term is used when the latter is more appropriate. Hopefully not in this case though.

Steve.

Sal Santamaura
03-24-2012, 11:38 AM
...40 or 100 of 10,000 is nothing...Unless you're one of the "40 or 100." :eek:

dugrant153
03-24-2012, 11:40 AM
While it is bad news, it may be the only way that Kodak is able to bear with the current market demand. Add in the stress from the Chapter 11 filing and I guess it's either some go in an attempt to restructure and organize and put itself back together or the whole company liquidates.

Unfortunately, that's the reality of the modern corporation. :( Hopefully these employees can find some good work elsewhere doing something else!

semi-ambivalent
03-24-2012, 12:06 PM
While it is bad news, it may be the only way that Kodak is able to bear with the current market demand. Add in the stress from the Chapter 11 filing and I guess it's either some go in an attempt to restructure and organize and put itself back together or the whole company liquidates.

Unfortunately, that's the reality of the modern corporation. :( Hopefully these employees can find some good work elsewhere doing something else!

Unfortunately that's the reality of manufacturing evolution. It's why you don't find that many blacksmiths these days.

And remember, some of their number might be hired back. :) People like me have to walk away from the computer and shoot film instead of writing about it. Which I think I'll do right now.

s-seen it happen-a

Light Guru
03-24-2012, 01:47 PM
What does the "Film sensitizing division" do, exactly?

A basic principle of film photography that you should understand is that film is sensitive to light and will react to it. Therefor one can deduce from the name "Film Sensitizing Devision" that they put the light sensitive emulsion onto the film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PeteZ8
03-24-2012, 02:55 PM
A basic principle of film photography that you should understand is that film is sensitive to light and will react to it. Therefor one can deduce from the name "Film Sensitizing Devision" that they put the light sensitive emulsion onto the film.

... and since they already sold off their gelatin business, that would translate exactly to the people who actually make film at Kodak.

I think the point made about "what division" was valid. We already know that Kodak axed their E6 program, so to see job cuts in that department would not be surprising at all.

BrianShaw
03-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Can anyone hum the tune of "Brother, can you spare a dime?" Hard times have hit many industries and jobs continue to dwindle. Very sad.

Photo Engineer
03-24-2012, 03:30 PM

And considering that the raw emulsion is much less sensitive than the finished version that is coated, it could be the people who sensitize the emulsion after initial precipitation and just before coating. ;)

Or, it could be a division that makes, sensitizes (chemically and spectrallly) and coats.

There have been so many reorganizations there, that I just could not say what comes under the name film sensitizing division.

PE

ic-racer
03-24-2012, 04:08 PM
There have been so many reorganizations there, that I just could not say what comes under the name film sensitizing division.

PE

Thank you! I thought it was ambiguous also.

Plus, the word "FILM" can refer to either just the emulsion or the end product.

film (film)
1. a thin layer or coating.
2. a thin transparent sheet of cellulose acetate or similar material coated on one or both sides with an emulsion that is sensitive to light or radiation.--- http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/film