PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. It's more expensive now.

semi-ambivalent
04-20-2012, 08:42 PM
If you stumble across this

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/Manual/index.page

like I did you might be scratching your head, like I did. Did Nikon give up on manual focusing lenses or didn't they? Are they experiencing push-back from digital owners who don't want (or already have) a big, heavy zoom and are looking for a few small primes? You know, primes like the 24 2.8 that they've heard people rave about for the last thirty years or so. Perhaps they don't want to pay $1200+ for a 24 1.4 like a pro might be willing to. I don't know the age of this page but some of the comments are pretty recent.

Furthermore, if they still have the tooling for these boys, what other tooling is still laying close to hand? Smart companies can make money in bad times as well as good, and without having to ramp-up for a 70s era boom. Quick, somebody give me a reality smackdown.

s-a

brucemuir
04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I knew the 50 1.2 was still in production but not the others.
Great thing about Nikkors is there are soooo many of them production wise.

BetterSense
04-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Link is broken

semi-ambivalent
04-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Link is broken

It's not for my browser, but I've turned off 'parse links...' and added some probably worthless tags. Give this a shot.

s-a

Newt_on_Swings
04-21-2012, 02:58 AM
You'd think they would keep the ones only with the fastest apertures such as the 50 1.2 and 35 1.4 but where's the 24 and 28 f2s? only the 2.8 versions are available. 105 2.8 but why not the 85mm. Nikon you so crazzay.

chriscrawfordphoto
04-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Nikon still makes small primes in their autofocus lineup too, but they don't get much promotion. I have the 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, and 85/1.8 AF-D Nikkor lenses. The 50 and 85 lenses I have were recently replaced with new versions that do not have aperture rings (they work on the F5, F6, and F100 but not older film bodies), but the rest are still made in the old style with aperture ring, so they work on film or digital and work fine with manual focus Ai bodies.

TimFox
04-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Zeiss makes an 85 mm f/1.4 in Nikon manual mount. (Expensive).
Available at B&H.
We sometimes use these at work on scientific video cameras that use F mount.

brucemuir
04-21-2012, 03:07 PM
The newish Zeiss ZF & ZE etc is a "prime" example of the original sentiment of this thread.

CGW
04-21-2012, 03:22 PM
If you stumble across this

like I did you might be scratching your head, like I did. Did Nikon give up on manual focusing lenses or didn't they? Are they experiencing push-back from digital owners who don't want (or already have) a big, heavy zoom and are looking for a few small primes? You know, primes like the 24 2.8 that they've heard people rave about for the last thirty years or so. Perhaps they don't want to pay $1200+ for a 24 1.4 like a pro might be willing to. I don't know the age of this page but some of the comments are pretty recent.

Furthermore, if they still have the tooling for these boys, what other tooling is still laying close to hand? Smart companies can make money in bad times as well as good, and without having to ramp-up for a 70s era boom. Quick, somebody give me a reality smackdown.

s-a

Are you in the market for some or what? I see 8 lenses...

semi-ambivalent
04-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Are you in the market for some or what? I see 8 lenses...

I own six of them. What's your point?