PDA

View Full Version : Leica silver printing service

Michael R 1974
05-20-2012, 08:48 PM
I found it amusing Leica is offering a wet printing service to users of the new M Monochrome. Ok, it's a boutique camera, but still, it's digital.

phaedrus
05-20-2012, 09:55 PM
It's an interesting combination of simulacra.

ambaker
05-20-2012, 10:21 PM
I wonder how that is going to work? Guess it is time do spend some quality time with Google...

Thomas Bertilsson
05-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Lambda?

Jesper
05-21-2012, 06:13 AM
If I remember it right DeVere made an enlarger with a digital projector that was used instead of the ordinairy head.
I don't suppose they sold a lot of those but the idea was interesting.

Jesper
05-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Yup, memory is still working.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/devere/index.html

daleeman
05-21-2012, 07:32 AM
I too saw this service. Actually it is a nice move by Leica but will it really help them sell a B&W only M9.

There are several Leica's at my house including an M8.2 my wife gave me and all their equipment is well designed over the decades. Leica is not always the best at marketing. But this might appeal to the retired dentist, doctor and lawyer who can afford the new M9.

Be interesting if they open it up to others besides the M9B&W I'd be glad to put my M8.2 up against the M2 with some Delta 100.

Aron
05-21-2012, 08:00 AM
There was a review on the digital DeVere 504 in Black and White Photography (UK) a few years back. If I remember correctly, the opinion was that on an 8x10" print there was already a very small difference in smoothness compared to a print straight from a negative. I guess the difference would be pretty clear at the usual larger sizes, not surprisingly.

However, that APO ASPH Summicron 50 mm lens is mouth-watering. Looking at the MTF charts, it's basically as good wide-open as the previous one at f/5,6, and that lens is also a cracker from f/2.

EDIT: I just saw the price of this new lens. Unbelievable. Now the Summilux ASPH seems to be excellent value.