PDA

View Full Version : Any Melbourne APUG members?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

roteague
12-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Robert, if yours is a Coopers or VB, I'll drink one for you. If you're planning to have a Fosters, I'll give it to John for you ... :)

Hah!! If you Aussies won't drink that stuff, I can guarantee I won't either. Fosters tastes too much like American beers; I prefer something with a bit more body. Coopers or VB will be just fine.

John McCallum
12-06-2004, 02:44 PM
Just checking with my Tour Director also.

Should I make the trip down from Sydney for at most, 2 days. Hmmm... Yes. :)

David
12-07-2004, 01:48 AM
Jan. 2 sounds fine. How do we get the details?

Graeme Hird
12-07-2004, 02:57 AM
Jan. 2 sounds fine. How do we get the details?
Hi David.

You'll need to wait for the details - I haven't made them up yet!!!:)

We're waiting on various tour directors to give final approval before the date is finalised. Once that's done, we'll be able to make times and locations become a reality.

Watch this space ......

Glenn Mathison
12-08-2004, 05:09 AM
Hi David.
We're waiting on various tour directors to give final approval before the date is finalised. Once that's done, we'll be able to make times and locations become a reality.

I have provisional approval from my tour director. One of my workmates is a big fan of rangefinderforum.com and when I mentioned the possible meeting to him he said he may be in as well. He's a film fan like us, so it's a potential two from SYD at this stage. We both would need to be back at work on Tuesday, so Sat/Sun works for us....

Nige
12-08-2004, 05:20 AM
I've been given the ok too...

Kevin Caulfield
12-08-2004, 04:30 PM
I am yet to check with my tour director but will give provisional approval on her behalf.

Graeme Hird
12-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Okay, it looks like we have a chorum for the 2nd of January.

What would you guys like to do? Sit, drink and boast? Go shooting, drinking and boasting? Compare prints? Compare equipment? (".... my format's bigger than yours. You call that a camera? This is a camera!").

I'm easy either way. I would prefer to either shoot or sit, drink and tell tall tails.

Once we've decided what we're doing, we can decide on a venue.

Cheers,

Glenn Mathison
12-09-2004, 04:49 PM
What would you guys like to do? Sit, drink and boast? Go shooting, drinking and boasting? Compare prints? Compare equipment? (".... my format's bigger than yours. You call that a camera? This is a camera!").
Cheers,
My vote:
1. Shooting, as I have not been to Melb for a couple of years. (followed by, or preceded by)
2. Eat, Drink, chat, be Merry.
3. Would be VERY interested to see how a LF rig works as I've never used one or known anyone who has one.

The good thing is that any of these could be done as a group, or if the group consensus is to just Eat, Drink, chat, be Merry, then I could go shoot on my own before or after the group stuff.

One other thought: Would it be worth arranging an online chat here on APUG for those thinking of attending? Much quicker to make decisions real time. We'd need to set a date/time for the chat session.

Thoughts?

Kevin Caulfield
12-09-2004, 05:16 PM
I agree, a little bit of shooting would be good. And I too would love to see how a LF rig works, as it's also very new to me.

There are probably several possible venues where we could shoot and not be too far away from food and drink establishments.

Jeremy
12-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Tell you guys what, I just bought a 5x7 camera and I'm willing to let all of you play with it, if you'll supply the transportation to Oz :)

roteague
12-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Tell you guys what, I just bought a 5x7 camera and I'm willing to let all of you play with it, if you'll supply the transportation to Oz :)

I'll be more than happy to show you around Jeremy. I know Nige and while I don't like to drive in Melbourne, I know how to get there easily from Sydney; there is some beautiful country there.

Nige
12-09-2004, 06:06 PM
well I now have a LF camera so can probably bring it along... Graeme can show us how it works :)

I've been on a couple of CBD Wandering Shoots and it works ok. Swap mobile ph numbers, agree a time to meet somewhere and then wander off in groups and singlely. Since we were all heading in the same rough direction we kept running into each other, stop for a chat or wander anlong together for a bit, see something that interests so explore while others move on, etc.

Biggest problem is agreeing where to eat! Should start discussing that now!

Graeme Hird
12-09-2004, 07:30 PM
To paraphrase Kath, "Oi like what Oi'm seeing!"

Life's too short to keep unexposed film in the holder. Eat, drink, shoot, be merry! Sounds like we can make a day of it.

Jeremy and Robert, you are both welcome to attend (as is anybody reading this), but we won't be paying for the privilege of your company. Of course, Jeremy might get to Oz if he clicks his heels enough .....

You guys already in Melbourne can set the agenda of where and when to meet - it sounds like we'll be able to use most of the day and some of the evening, so consider starting early .....

I'm more than happy to show off my Tachihara and how I use it. I'd also love to play with other LF beasties, so bring 'em if ya got 'em!

Cheers,

Kevin Caulfield
12-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Graeme, you can play with my Hasselblad if I can play with your Tachihara.

Graeme Hird
12-09-2004, 10:32 PM
..... and then I can finally answer "yes" when I get asked The Eternal Question! :)

Graeme Hird
12-09-2004, 10:37 PM
You know, once upon a time, transportation to Oz was as easy as stealing a loaf of bread. Now you must demand hand inspection of your bag and you can't bring a knife to butter the bread, even if you still had it.

Ahhh, those were the good ol' days ......

John McCallum
12-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Recently when in Melb, I was told Micheals Camera were about to open their new show room, complete with the largest genuine (working?) Leica mockup in the world. They said it would be large enough to walk inside. Unfortunately we were not there long enough to see it.
Anyone for 'Beat the Shutter' - starting at Bulb and working up to ... oooh .... say 1/250th?

Graeme Hird
12-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Anyone for 'Beat the Shutter' - starting at Bulb and working up to ... oooh .... say 1/250th?
Sounds like the latest Indiana Jones Episode: "Indiana Jones and the Search For The Holy Grail Of LF Photography."

Glenn Mathison
12-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Cooee! Any updates?

Things to be sorted:
1. Rough plan for the 2nd? Are we going to meet somewhere for "First light" opportunities? Are we hanging around long enough for "Last light" shooting?
2. Locations for the above? (maybe Melb locals can suggest?)
3. Niges point re "FOOD" Where and when?
4. Who is coming for sure?

I'm probably 90% certain at this stage. Plan to arrive late Saturday afternoon, spend evening with Melb friend, meet y'all at first light somewhere, spend the day shooting, playing with LF rigs, food, drink, chat etc etc, Shoot last light, then hit the road back to Sydney late Sunday evening or maybe early Monday morning.

With 10 hrs drive each way, I just want to make sure it will be better than staying at home to drink, eat, be merry, in my own beautiful back yard :)

Glenn