PDA

View Full Version : Film is back, says NYT

Pages : 1 2 [3]

brianmquinn
06-02-2012, 09:19 PM
It's just another post for people who can't face facts.

Be nice Wallace. If Gromit decides to shot some film, ANY film, it may not bring film back but it will help will help us all out by keeping some of the lines running for a bit longer.

B&Wpositive
06-02-2012, 11:24 PM
As head student leader of a university photography club in 2008, I started seeing this trend, and I was annoyed by it. People started bringing up Holga...this was before Lomography was really popular. I really didn't see the point in equating film with cheap plastic cameras. People were assuming that one automatically went with the other, even 4 years ago. And this was before IPhones really took off.

But I'll tell you, I got a handful of members interested in trying the legendary Kodachrome. We bought a bunch of rolls off of PKM-25 for a good price. I think people enjoyed the experience of shooting Kodachrome before it ended.

MattKing
06-02-2012, 11:45 PM
The up side of the Lomography "movement" is that it tends to counter the growing perception that film is no longer a casual, everyday medium.

Most people who shoot with Lomography equipment do so because they enjoy it - and when is that not good?

It would be nice, however, if there was a better appreciation of the alternatives.

Joe VanCleave
06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I actually like the plastic aesthetic of Lomo and Holga cameras, but my biggest objection is their lack of exposure control, typically offering two apertures and one shutter speed - two if you count bulb. Their operation relies on film's dynamic range and the auto-exposure employed in the typical photo lab's printing technology to get adequate prints from over or under exposed negatives.

-Joe

TexasLangGenius
06-04-2012, 05:04 PM
It's been a while since I've haunted this place, due to business in academia.

I'll take any article with good news, as well! I'll also do my darndest to save the art one frame at a time and take the opportunity to educate anyone who's willing to listen.

One of my Japanese classmates graduated and I shot some graduation pictures of him and his mother with E100G and Super 8. I just sent the film off to get processed and I just know the results will be excellent. He told me that he didn't think he could learn to shoot film and I told him "Nonsense. It took me an afternoon to learn the basics of film."

I'll be sure to post some links once I get the film back!

DREW WILEY
06-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Let's see ... all you need is an f-stop setting, shutter speed per ASA, meter reading, and focus.
Anything else is redundant. That makes a basic film camera about a thouand times easier to use
than something which comes with an owner's manual as thick as a phone book (remember those?),
and that you have to open up seventy-nine optional programs and turn all but one off before you
push the button. But the problem I always have, is where do you attach the darkcloth on a digital
camera?

Sirius Glass
06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Let's see ... all you need is an f-stop setting, shutter speed per ASA, meter reading, and focus.
Anything else is redundant. That makes a basic film camera about a thouand times easier to use
than something which comes with an owner's manual as thick as a phone book (remember those?),
and that you have to open up seventy-nine optional programs and turn all but one off before you
push the button. But the problem I always have, is where do you attach the darkcloth on a digital
camera?

I have been unable to learn chimpin'. Is there a remedial chimpin' class available?

Newt_on_Swings
06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Put a pinup sticker on the camera back, it'll get you to chimp :D