PDA

View Full Version : New Official French Presidential Portrait shot on film with a 1962 Rolleiflex TLR

Pages : 1 [2] 3

j-dogg
06-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Not bad, not too bad at all.

The French get a pass since they kind of invented photography as we know it today.....I would have been real impressed if they had done a Daguerreotype.

pekelnik
06-05-2012, 02:53 AM
I'm slightly annoyed by the building growing out of his head. There is separation, just maybe not quite enough for me.

Laurent
06-05-2012, 03:00 AM
Wow, how holidaysnap-esque.

Blown out background, head too large.... at least no fig leaf pose.

This looks like one of those, "well the President can only give you 5 minutes so...."

Don't know if this photographer is any good or not but if he is, this is not his best work.

Don't speak/read French so I found this:

http://news-12.com/the-elysee-has-the-official-photo-of-francois-hollande/

The "well the President can only give you 5 minutes so...." attitude is Sarkozy's (the previous one), this one seems (we'll see in a few years) to listen more and to give more time. He also seem to know more about culture (not too difficult) that his predecessor (the previous photographer was a people-ish one).

I tend to think Depardon is a good photographer, not sure this is his best work, but what I like in his work iis more the sense of "continuity" than the "greatest hits" he produces. His work about rural France is something I love. I really like "La terre des paysans" (could be translated to "farmers' land"). The fact that he was born in a farm and his parents were farmers shows in the images.

Look here (http://www.google.fr/search?q=depardon+paysans&hl=fr&prmd=imvnsu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=z63NT_vwHMLD0QWl4I3aAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CI4BELAE&biw=1680&bih=947#hl=fr&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=depardon+la+terre+des+paysans&oq=depardon+la+terre+des+paysans&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=img.3...25637.28533.0.28703.17.15.2.0.0.3.129 .1270.11j4.15.0...0.0.Sbjz7wTIn9s&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=f1895ce459815377&biw=1680&bih=947)

Finally, I'd say that what I prefer about the image is that it is shot on an "obsolete" media with an "obsolete" camera...

Diapositivo
06-05-2012, 05:08 AM
Besides choosing better his official photograph, Hollande could have chosen better his official tailor! ;)

Nice to know he likes human beings. His hand are cut at half though, so it's the first president with half hands on a portrait.

I like "Elizabeth II as Dracula" portrait though. Could also be used for Republican propaganda :)

Richard Sintchak (rich815)
06-05-2012, 05:17 AM
http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1351501

dpurdy
06-05-2012, 09:09 AM
http://s1.lemde.fr/image/2012/06/04/952x634.9765625/1712167_6_3283_une-equipe-de-television-immortalise-la-seance_91a6605a15b47197c2ae2a448bade57f.jpg

There is something odd going on here. In the photo of the photographer working you can see his camera is clearly aiming up at the President and the buildings would in the distance should have converging lines like any building you aim your camera up at. Instead the lines of the building almost seem to be widening at top as if the photographer was looking down at them. And the enlarged head of the President is illogical as well.
What I am guessing happened is that the film was scanned and then the perspective for the building corrected in photoshop, which also enlarged the head of the Pres.
Dennis

blansky
06-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I tend to think Depardon is a good photographer, not sure this is his best work, but what I like in his work iis more the sense of "continuity" than the "greatest hits" he produces. His work about rural France is something I love. I really like "La terre des paysans" (could be translated to "farmers' land"). The fact that he was born in a farm and his parents were farmers shows in the images.

Look here (http://www.google.fr/search?q=depardon+paysans&hl=fr&prmd=imvnsu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=z63NT_vwHMLD0QWl4I3aAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CI4BELAE&biw=1680&bih=947#hl=fr&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=depardon+la+terre+des+paysans&oq=depardon+la+terre+des+paysans&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=img.3...25637.28533.0.28703.17.15.2.0.0.3.129 .1270.11j4.15.0...0.0.Sbjz7wTIn9s&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=f1895ce459815377&biw=1680&bih=947)

Finally, I'd say that what I prefer about the image is that it is shot on an "obsolete" media with an "obsolete" camera...

Interestingly in his other work, he didn't blow out the backgrounds by shooting at the wrong time of day.

moose10101
06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
If this is "showing the way", film users have one foot on the banana peel.

blansky
06-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I'd rather have my official portrait taken by Depardon than Leibovitz. Her portrait of Queen Elizabeth is ghastly: http://obamapacman.com/2010/01/annie-leibovitzs-mac-has-seen-a-certain-golfer-topless/annie-leibovitz-queen-elizabeth-ii-official-portrait/

This wasn't the official portrait but in fact recorded early one morning after the Queen had a spat with one of Lady Di's relatives.

This is merely the "Pistols at Dawn" picture.

Luckily no one was hurt although the Queen was shot in the head, but since she's been dead for 25 years no one was the wiser.

HA, Prince Charles, still no crown.

Diapositivo
06-05-2012, 11:14 AM
http://s1.lemde.fr/image/2012/06/04/952x634.9765625/1712167_6_3283_une-equipe-de-television-immortalise-la-seance_91a6605a15b47197c2ae2a448bade57f.jpg

There is something odd going on here. In the photo of the photographer working you can see his camera is clearly aiming up at the President and the buildings would in the distance should have converging lines like any building you aim your camera up at. Instead the lines of the building almost seem to be widening at top as if the photographer was looking down at them. And the enlarged head of the President is illogical as well.
What I am guessing happened is that the film was scanned and then the perspective for the building corrected in photoshop, which also enlarged the head of the Pres.
Dennis

Actually I have the impression the lens is probably slightly wide angular, the camera is aimed slightly downward, which makes the head of the President so unfortunately prominent. Buildings are not supposed to cut a head in two, but this is no normal building, and no normal head, so why should the photograph be normal?

Besides, remember that during the electoral campaign this candidate promised to renegotiate all the rules about composition, which were unfairly dictated by the Germans profiting from the fact that they made the camera and the lens.

You can actually see a subtle political message there: the photographer "of the peasant" (very worker-minded, well done, good shot) instead of the photographer of the celebrities, the portrait like your aunt would have made it (power to the people!), the tailor who was working as a milkman until election day, it all says "make no mistake, I'm not your usual President working for the bourgeois and the banks".

He's not holding a black child in his arms only because it's an official shot.

Fabrizio

Yes my politically incorrect idea is that he's a bloody demagogue. And I have all the right to express my opinion because he's a "cousin" after all ;)

hdeyong
06-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm not surprised. My wife and I live in France about 3/4 of the year. The interest in analogue photography is much bigger in Europe and the UK than in North America. France and England each have several large vendors of films, paper, chemicals and equipment. The photo magazine I read every month always includes some analogue info and has an extra issue every year dedicated to black and white.
It just seems to be more of an 'arts' mentality. At any given time, there are dozens of photo exhibits going on in Paris and London. To find even one or two on the go in Toronto is becoming a rarity.
I have people in Canada and the US look at me like I'm from another planet when they find out I'm shooting film, in Europe, they don't give it a second thought.

narsuitus
06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Nice snap shot!

Jojje
06-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Not bad.
In Finland we have a new president as well. However, the so-called official photograph of him was widely criticised. Photoshopping is so evident, have a look:
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2012041615459656_uu.shtml

SuzanneR
06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Three threads merged...

batwister
06-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Looks like it could be part of a college student's typology project - just another guy, centrally composed. "But Mr. President, look at that BOKEH!!!"

Diapositivo
06-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Not bad.
In Finland we have a new president as well. However, the so-called official photograph of him was widely criticised. Photoshopping is so evident, have a look:
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2012041615459656_uu.shtml

Mmmhh, the pin-ups on my calendars are photoshopped in a much less evident way...

Have a look at this other one:

http://www.quirinale.it/elementi/Continua.aspx?tipo=Foto&key=145

They don't even say who is the photographer, the picture seems to me well executed, not evidently retouched and, judging from the artifacts, it should be a scan from a print (?). He was elected in 2006. Next one is elected next year. I hope the official portrait it's taken with film, and not evidently retouched.

Imagine that, a conventional portrait, made by a conventional photographer. How petit-bourgeois! (And the guy is even a former Communist!).

Fabrizio

His lips have a visible make up, I guess.

Lionel1972
06-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for merging the threads Suzanne.

Poisson Du Jour
06-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Je pense que si Annie Leibovitz obtenu le concert que nous serions vraiment obtenir ce que WOW! facteur qui brille à travers. La photo comme il est apparaît comme une déclaration valable pour le cinéma, mais pas par n'importe quel tronçon de compétence technique, qui je pense est assez pauvre. :pouty:

zsas
06-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Je pense que si Annie Leibovitz obtenu le concert que nous serions vraiment obtenir ce que WOW! facteur qui brille à travers. La photo comme il est apparaît comme une déclaration valable pour le cinéma, mais pas par n'importe quel tronçon de compétence technique, qui je pense est assez pauvre. :pouty: Annie would have made it be too theatrical in my view whereas Depardon photographed this street per se. The more I think about this photograph, the more I begin to like it. Hollande is shown as a part of the government, not the government (ie at a desk governing), something subtle, different, brilliant here....

Some photos of the setup...

http://www.lense.fr/2012/06/04/francois-hollande-le-portrait-officiel-par-raymond-depardon/

Thomas Bertilsson
06-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Actually I have the impression the lens is probably slightly wide angular, the camera is aimed slightly downward, which makes the head of the President so unfortunately prominent. Buildings are not supposed to cut a head in two, but this is no normal building, and no normal head, so why should the photograph be normal?

Besides, remember that during the electoral campaign this candidate promised to renegotiate all the rules about composition, which were unfairly dictated by the Germans profiting from the fact that they made the camera and the lens.

You can actually see a subtle political message there: the photographer "of the peasant" (very worker-minded, well done, good shot) instead of the photographer of the celebrities, the portrait like your aunt would have made it (power to the people!), the tailor who was working as a milkman until election day, it all says "make no mistake, I'm not your usual President working for the bourgeois and the banks".

He's not holding a black child in his arms only because it's an official shot.

Fabrizio

Yes my politically incorrect idea is that he's a bloody demagogue. And I have all the right to express my opinion because he's a "cousin" after all ;)

If you tili the camera down, the head would appear smaller.