PDA

View Full Version : Now for the reflex route

Pages : 1 [2]

Ian Grant
06-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks Steve, I'll probably start tomorrow evening. I've already spotted the light trap between the top of the shutter and the body. There's some variations with these cameras and so I expect to run into the odd baffling bits :D

I need to decide on the second one, it has 4 or 5 lenses and other accessories.

Ian

Megrez
10-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I hope this works, and the users who previously commented on this thread can read this:

Firstly, huge thanks to Ian for providing a link to the photographs, and for Steven for posting them.

I'm currently refurbishing a Thornton Pickard Junior Special Ruby Reflex - the variant which has a 120 roll film back. Thanks to the information above, and some generous help, I have managed to get the shutter out of the camera. Unfortunately for me, one set of tapes have decayed to such an extent that it is no longer possible to ascertain their original length. However, the second blind is in tact. Is it safe for me to assume both sets of tapes were the same length? Secondly, does anyone know a source for shutter blind material? I am found some black fabric which is used in the manufacture of vertical blinds. This is the correct thickness, and is light light, but unfortunately is 6mm short of the correct width. Finally, when I come to reassemble the shutter blinds am I correct in assuming they are both set to the same tension (i.e. x number of turns on the take-up blind), therefore the exposure is governed not by variation of speed of travel, but by variation in the width of the slit which is effected by the two blinds operating in unison?

Many thanks,

Gary

Ian Grant
10-02-2012, 04:24 PM
You make the tapes with excess lenght, then when you fit the curtains you adjust tapes/spindfles to position the curtains.

I make shutter curtain material and supply it to a leading US repairman, he's recently restored a 7x5 Reflex Graflex for a Chinese collector that needed 8" x7' of shutter cloth :) I've some left here in the UK but a large quantity in Turkey which I@ll bring back in about 3 weeks

Yes the slit width governs the speed, you'll need to judge what tension is going to give a consistent release. I found you could get teh shutter working with one blind to start with.

My shutter's working fine outside the camera but I need to change the thickness of the tapes, if it's too thin (same as the curtains) they dont wind up enough.

I'd expected a sunken mount TTH Cooke Anastigmat in the post yesterday or today, as soon as that comes I'll be finishing my Ruby Reflex. I've no lens boards but I'll make new ones, I have a TTH flange that may be the correct size. I've made a new lens-hood/flap, although I did find one on Ebay with fittings from Romania for 3.10 but as I've recovered the complete camera I decided a new one would be a better match. Then I can turn my attention to my Ensign Speed Rol-film reflex once it's finally completed.

Meanwhile I've parts for two whole plate cameras that I picked up at a flea market and more parts and two TP shutters on the way !!!!!

Ian

Megrez
10-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi Ian,

I would be interested in buying some shutter cloth from you. I wouldn't need as much as the US Repairman! Each blind is approximately 100mm wide x 180mm long. Each tape is 274mm long x 4, obviously.

Yes, I have noticed the post is very slow at the moment. I hope the Cooke turns up soon! The whole plate cameras sound interesting. I have always had a special place in my heart for that format.

Gary

Ian Grant
10-02-2012, 04:58 PM
I had a whole plate. half plate, 5x4 De Vere Monorail camera until last year but only ever used it for 5x4 and almost exclusively as a copy camera, it was rather heavy

The plan is to use the vintage cameras at some open days at a local museum with Ilford/Harman Direct positive paper, so Half plate & Whole plate are ideal, Quarter plate moe economic for some demonstartions :D

Gary, yes I'll sort out shutter cloth for you via email.

Ian

Megrez
10-03-2012, 08:54 AM
That sounds very interesting, Ian. Thanks for the offer of cloth, for which I am extremely grateful.

Gary

Ian Grant
10-05-2012, 05:08 PM
The TTH Cooke lens arrived today, 24hr delivery on an item bought last Friday (6 days earlier), when I called the company yeaterday it had not been despatched.

However the lens is optically superb, the paint on the barrell worn but that was why it was only 20/$32 and it's much better than described :D A similar lens is on ebay for 17x the price !!!!!

New pictures in a day or two but I've now made a lens board, recessing the mount slightly, and it's recovered to match the camera and the lens hood/flap. So next it's change the ribbons on the shutter curtains and final re-assembly.

Ian

Ian Grant
10-08-2012, 06:06 PM
A bad weekend, bought 5 cameras !!!!!!!!!!

The good part is a 6x9 TP Ruby Reflex with an excellent TP Cooke TTH lense. and roll film back. The shutter's smooth and it has a new mirror and so must have been restored !!!!

Then a TP Imperial whole plate camer (minus bellows) no big issue every other parts thee except one tiny screw.

Finished wioth a very nice Dallmeyer Reflex, and superb f3.5 6" lens. Needs new shutter curtain(s). The lens alone was woth more thatn the complete camera :)

Thectrivia was a superb 5 Zorki C (S) and 6x6 Nettar (Novar lens).

Ian