PDA

View Full Version : Historical sizes?

winger
06-06-2012, 02:39 PM
In the early 1900's, were there typical sizes for glass negs? I have no idea what camera he used (I have a few of his later cameras), but my great-grandfather (I believe) took a picture of my grandmother as a baby sitting on someone's lap and the negative is 3 1/4" by 5 1/2". There are also other negs (different subjects and ages) that are smaller. The size just seems odd to me.

jnanian
06-06-2012, 02:52 PM
hi bethe

3.25x5.5 is post card format.
there were plates that size, and later roll film ( 122 )
was sold that format. the cameras like the premo 3A, autographic 3A, and graflex 3A
all took that size photograph ... its a fun format :)

i started to type something about the other sizes / plate sizes but realize this website
says it better than i ever could ..

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_early/1_early_photography_-_sizes.htm

have fun !
john

Ian Grant
06-06-2012, 03:17 PM
There's an excellent Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format) on plate sizes, there were so many permutations.

If you order enough Ilford will cut film for any of them :D

Ian

winger
06-06-2012, 06:23 PM
If you order enough Ilford will cut film for any of them :D
I need the camera first. And, NO, I don't need another camera.

Whiteymorange
06-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Aw, come on, Bethe... You always need another camera!

winger
06-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Aw, come on, Bethe... You always need another camera!
Says one of the enablers! :) And, yes, I still use that folder I got at one of the PHSNE shows.

After looking through those links, it seems like almost any size went. I know with glass negs, the main option was contact prints, so whatever size print someone wanted would have to exist in the neg. But, wow, what a variety of sizes.
I'm sure if another camera had been found, my parents would have told me. I have my ggf's RB Auto graflex (shutter curtain doesn't work) and two Leicas (not special ones, but one is usable).