PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the idea about an Apug Conference?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

bjorke
02-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Not officially sanctioned by APUG, but coming up in just a few days:

http://photo.meetup.com/339/

Aggie
02-04-2005, 05:21 PM
John and Bob, What are the dates for this, or has it been planned yet? Reason, Sharon, Ann, and myself are planning the Old Broads Tour of France and Spain the last two weeks of May, first week of June 2006.

Bob Carnie
02-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi Aggie
The conference will be before the 15th of May 2006, you can attend the conference and go to the sweet young things, tour of france and spain. What a month you will have , we are very serious about this, John and I as well as Peters have been diligently working behind the scenes to make this happen. I can say that there will be a major print competition with this event that we will be launching this month as well as posting the detalis of our event. Hang in there we are very close to announcing this event with Seans blessing.

David Brown
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
The conference will be before the 15th of May 2006 ... we are very close to announcing this event with Seans blessing.

WOW!

Wish it was this May.

BWGirl
02-05-2005, 10:01 AM
... Reason, Sharon, Ann, and myself are planning the Old Broads Tour of France and Spain the last two weeks of May, first week of June 2006.

Dang! Makes me wish I were old instead of just broad! :D ;)

m. dowdall
02-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Bob on the weekend and touring the labs and galleries. Great place you've got there. Since I live in Toronto I'm sure I'll be going and I'd like to help get this off the ground. Bob I'll send a PM.

k_jupiter
02-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Not officially sanctioned by APUG, but coming up in just a few days:

http://photo.meetup.com/339/

I am sure they are very nice, but not my kind of photographers. I can hide, I can lie, but the truth remains... I love photo process, I love equipment. I love alernative image making. The pitchers are nice, but getting there is 9/10's the fun.

tim next door in san jose

Jim Chinn
02-24-2005, 10:30 AM
I am curious as to progress on firming up a date for this. I plan to attend as a participant but also would like to know if there will be a site for any vendors similar to what they do at the View Camera conferences. I would like to be able to take 2 or three ULF cameras and show them and possibly provide individuals an opportunity to expose some film.

Jim Chinn
Great Plains Large Format

jd callow
02-24-2005, 10:51 AM
The conference will be held in Toronto at the Elevator Gallery in may 2006 during the Contact Photography Festival.

I am working with Bob Carnie on some of the final details, but here are some points.

There will be space for vendors and opportunities for sponsorships from manufacturers and suppliers who support this site and analog photography.

There will be workshops, round table discussions and demonstrations. We will be fielding applications for these shortly.

There will be photo outings and Gallery tours.

Finally and possibly most importantly there will be a juried show with cash prizes.

We are working hard to make a foundation from which this convention will be a success and one that can be used as a template for future APUG conventions.

Bear with us as we sort the details. If you or any other APUGer wish to participate as a vendor, sponsor, speaker or demonstrator please PM me and Bob.

Some things that probably need to be said. All those who are going to give a workshops will be paid, All those who wish to attend the work shop will pay a fee, all vendors and sponsors will be charged a fee, all money left over is going to APUG and most importantly neither Bob nor I can afford to underwrite this nor are we looking to profit from it.

papagene
02-24-2005, 11:43 AM
OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, May 2006 - that gives me plenty of time to save for this. Great idea.

gene

Bob Carnie
02-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Toronto 2006

Just some background on our space here, as well what we want to accomplish.
John, Bob , Peter and others believe this will work, but we are not going to copy other events . Therefore this workshop will be aimed at the newbie right up to advanced working professional. Any damm stupid question will be encouraged and tolarated.
To describe this place would be hard core film processing, traditional printing all medias, as well as hybrid technology.
I understand that this is a APUG conference and if so I will tailor everything to be strickly analog. But we are uniquely placed to at least demonstrate some interesting applications of digital and traditional combined seamlessly. I could see a master class involving some digital and traditional output working, but as said, I will tailor it for the group of people who seriously want to attend.
Therefore if you are serious in attending pm me and give me your location as well as areas of interest and possibly instructors names you would like to see here. I would prefer all instructors come from the APUG family.
As John stated we will be paying our instructors and will be flying Sean in at no cost to him. I only think this is fair as he started this large family.
To that point there will be a print competition with fairly hefty prizes awarded,
It will be open to all who want to enter.
The fees and such will be revealed at a later date but I think early print entry will be at a lessor fee and monthly the rate will go up. This will help secure financing for lectures and such.
As well the advance notice will help me negotiate better hotel rates and food rates, beer, all the essentials.

The facility is geared to handle the following

1500sqft gallery space- this is where the competition will be revealed
2000sqft of wet darkroom space -4x5-11x14 enlargers
Colour darkroom for ciba and Ra4- " "
Alternative printing room- NU Ark Exposing unit , all coating equipment
Wood working shop and joining room- demos on framing and matt cutting
Jobo film room- 2 alt 2300 capable of 35mm-16x20 processing
Hybrid technology and digital- scanners -9600ink jet- lambda exposing unit.

We are located 10 mininutes from downtown and there is hotel($125can) five minutes away.
We hope to supply lunch each day included in the registration as well late night barbeques with cold beverages in the back parking lot.(Any musicions would be greatly appreciated in this crowd)

I really hope all of you will consider this event , as I know the flight will be expensive , but once you are here you will find Canadians to be some of the most friendly and helpful people you will meet and Contact Festival is first rate for viewing shows.(except Bob Carnie, He is a obnoxious bastard)

Right now I need to get a grasp on what do you want have demonstrated or taught and I will try to accomodate. (I have already tentatively booked 4 APUG teachers for this event and tentatively arranged for two evening speakers who are also APUGers.

Jim Chinn
02-24-2005, 01:19 PM
I would like to see a particular workshop or session for those intersted in contact printing from 8x10 or larger negatives, specifically on AZO as there is increasing interest in using this paper.

I think any demonstration involving alternative methods would be great. Personally I would jump at the chance to see someone demonstrate wet plate collodion/ glass plate negatives and Ambrotype.

Jeremy
02-24-2005, 01:42 PM
I think any demonstration involving alternative methods would be great. Personally I would jump at the chance to see someone demonstrate wet plate collodion/ glass plate negatives and Ambrotype.

Think we can wrangle Clay or Kerik to come up? I know they've been doing some wet plate processes not to mention their gum over work.

Hell, if anyone is interested I could talk about what it's like to start into these alt processes and the hang-ups/troubles you can run into. By the time this conference rolls around I'll be ~2 years into palladium printing and ~1.3 years into gum--still a novice in my eyes. Bob, I've emailed you before, but I would like to help if I can.

For anyone flying to the conference: it is MUCH cheaper to fly into the upper North US than straight into Canada so maybe some could carpool?

jd callow
02-24-2005, 02:06 PM
For anyone flying to the conference: it is MUCH cheaper to fly into the upper North US than straight into Canada so maybe some could carpool?

Jeremy
First things first it would be kick a** to see you there regardless...

I usually drive to Toronto, but I have discoverred it is far better to to take the train if you have access to the chicago - KZoo -AnnArbor- Detroit route. You don't need nor do you want a car there. Toronto's public transportation is great.

I live 20 mins from Windsor CA. This might be helpful for those who fly into Detroit Metro and plan on driving and or taking the train (much preferred or did I already say that).

I can imagine a train car full of photogeeks geeking photo wise whist our spouses (should they come) contemplate suicide.;)

Jeremy
02-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Jeremy
First things first it would be kick a** to see you there regardless...

I usually drive to Toronto, but I have discoverred it is far better to to take the train if you have access to the chicago - KZoo -AnnArbor- Detroit route. You don't need nor do you want a car there. Toronto's public transportation is great.

I live 20 mins from Windsor CA. This might be helpful for those who fly into Detroit Metro and plan on driving and or taking the train (much preferred or did I already say that).

I can imagine a train car full of photogeeks geeking photo wise whist our spouses (should they come) contemplate suicide.;)

That's a great idea! Living in Texas the public transportation is nonexistant so I didn't even think about that. And John, I already plan on coming and have cleared my schedule for May 2006--no school and no work for up to the whole month if need be :)

Bruce Osgood
02-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Have the coordinators come up with tentative dates in May. We travel from NY to Mn. to Tx in May and this could fit right in.

Aggie
02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
I understand that this is a APUG conference and if so I will tailor everything to be strickly analog. But we are uniquely placed to at least demonstrate some interesting applications of digital and traditional combined seamlessly. I could see a master class involving some digital and traditional output working, but as said, I will tailor it for the group of people who seriously want to attend.

You had me excited until this. If I want to learn digital I can go to any other conference. Having digital at an apug conference is sacriligious.

jd callow
02-24-2005, 03:18 PM
You had me excited until this. If I want to learn digital I can go to any other conference. Having digital at an apug conference is sacriligious.

Aggie,
APUG has a grey area subforum that deals with hybred processes. If interest is high, then those within APUG who wish to have a workshop/demo/discussion on a grey topic may get one.

It needs to be said that everything Bob and I are discussing will need the final blessing of Sean. We have no intention of stepping out of the APUG box, and will do everything we can to satisfy the APUG community as a whole.

Sean
02-24-2005, 05:56 PM
The conference should be a celebration of our community, which is a community built out of our love for traditional processes. I am beyond grateful that some of the members are willing to organize such an event. Personally I think an APUG conference should be focused strongly on the traditional, this is what we are here for. I think anyone wanting to setup booths and workshops on hybrid would do more harm than good at this event. To me it would feel like they were being a "troll". I know that will not sit well with some people, but that is my take on it. The grey area does exist in the confines of alt proc, but that area is invisible to those who do not want anything to do with it. How do you make tables full of Epson printers, etc at a conference invisible? Walls full of inkjet prints, or tables of cameras with digital backs. Where do we draw the line? Is it going to be a photo conference or an apug conference?

Bruce Osgood
02-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Personally I think an APUG conference should be focused strongly on the traditional, this is what we are here for. I think anyone wanting to setup booths and workshops on hybrid would do more harm than good at this event.

HALLELUJAH

Sean, if you need someone to carry your bags, let me know.

Analog is what got us here, you gotta dance with the one that brought you. If I'm accused of snobbism or elitism I say YAH!