PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the idea about an Apug Conference?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

waynecrider
11-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Is anyone doing any work towards the idea? Was it all just talk? I'm not seeing an updated thread around.

Bob Carnie
11-28-2004, 06:35 PM
I would like to see one here in May Toronto 2006 - in conjunction with our annual Contact Photographic Festival. I have space for printing workshops that some of the Leading Experts on this Forum could teach, as well a gallery space to donate , for the best of APUGers Show.

Next year is too soon to plan as far as I am concerned , but I would definately be willing to offer up my Facility here in Toronto as a base for a conference.

Toronto is a wonderful city, good restauraunts , lots of photographic shows in May (over 100) and a good transportation system.
As well there is a very strong and vibrant photographic community here to draw on for support for such a venture.

Well??? What do you think

Aggie
11-28-2004, 07:09 PM
It went no where since no one could decide on where, and when to hold it. Most of all, it would need to be scheduled such that Sean could make it to the event. Beyond that, there was quite a bit of interest.

rbarker
11-28-2004, 07:47 PM
An APUG conference would be great. But, there is a significant amount of work involved in organizing one, as well as a significant financial risk involved in most cases. Depending on the desired scale of the event, the advance effort might easily be virtually a full-time job for one or more people. (Been there, done that - although for high tech, not photo.)

jd callow
11-28-2004, 10:28 PM
I would like to see one here in May Toronto 2006 - in conjunction with our annual Contact Photographic Festival. I have space for printing workshops that some of the Leading Experts on this Forum could teach, as well a gallery space to donate , for the best of APUGers Show.

Next year is too soon to plan as far as I am concerned , but I would definately be willing to offer up my Facility here in Toronto as a base for a conference.

Toronto is a wonderful city, good restauraunts , lots of photographic shows in May (over 100) and a good transportation system.
As well there is a very strong and vibrant photographic community here to draw on for support for such a venture.

Well??? What do you think

I'm in. I love Toronto...
Bob has a great space.
Just pick a weekend, do a call for entries pictures and booths. Make everyone responsible for themselves and do all the planing on line by mass commitee.

oh never mind some one will volunteer me to do work..

jd callow
11-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Maybe if we called it a get together instead of conference we could approach it without as many worries.

Jeremy
11-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Hey a conference is a wonderful idea and I volunteer John *mr callow* to head everything up.

jd callow
11-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Hey a conference is a wonderful idea and I volunteer John *mr callow* to head everything up.
No Problem I'll be Pres. and I elect Bob Carnie as VP.

Go get busy Bob We're all counting on you.

Flotsam
11-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Toronto? So when I get across the border, I just ask how to get to the Capitol. Right? :D

Jeremy
11-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Toronto? So when I get across the border, I just ask how to get to the Capitol. Right? :D

Wow, I was laughing so hard I just about peed my pants!

waynecrider
12-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Toronto is good by me. Let's plan that and who ever shows up shows.

Is there anyne else that can lend time to plan a local area event?

Bob Carnie
12-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi Wayne

If Mr Callow is interested in being President, and I can see he is very good at allocating his resources- Me as VP - I think I would give up my facilitys for a Long Weekend Work shop here in Toronto.
I have put some ideas together on how this would work and I am up to it , if there is a serious amount of Interest.
Contact Photography Festival - May 2006 - Toronto , Ont, Canada.
please email me at bob@elevatordigital.ca.

Over the next few weeks I will see by the emails if there is enough interest.
I will post a thread with the results , and as well my thoughts on how this thing can run with Mr Callows help of course. and others.

The infrastructure for running this kind of event catering to photographers is quite good during this annual festival in May.
Who else is game???

jd callow
12-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Hi Wayne

If Mr Callow is interested in being President, and I can see he is very good at allocating his resources- Me as VP - I think I would give up my facilitys for a Long Weekend Work shop here in Toronto.
I have put some ideas together on how this would work and I am up to it , if there is a serious amount of Interest.
Contact Photography Festival - May 2006 - Toronto , Ont, Canada.
please email me at bob@elevatordigital.ca.

Over the next few weeks I will see by the emails if there is enough interest.
I will post a thread with the results , and as well my thoughts on how this thing can run with Mr Callows help of course. and others.

The infrastructure for running this kind of event catering to photographers is quite good during this annual festival in May.
Who else is game???
Bob,
You are the best. I suspect there will be more than a few people interested -- I know Helen and I will take any excuse to return to Toronto. If you can give me a call this weekend (I'd call you at home, but...) and we can talk about what to do...

jdc

rogueish
12-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Is there anyne else that can lend time to plan a local area event?
I'm in! :cool:
I have no experience at event planning, but am volunteering to help anyway I can.

Jorge
12-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Hey, if the conference is on May of 2006 I am in! Seems like a good fun idea and I need to put faces to those people in my ignore list... :)

Sean
12-02-2004, 03:50 PM
May 2006 seems like a good date..

John McCallum
12-02-2004, 04:03 PM
We could go for a bulk discount on airfares :D.

Sean
12-02-2004, 04:13 PM
yup, just bring lots of Speights! :)

roteague
12-02-2004, 04:15 PM
We could go for a bulk discount on airfares :D.

Qantas flies from Sydney to Toronto via Honolulu. Or, Air New Zealand flies to Honolulu; beats making that long flight to LA.

Flotsam
12-02-2004, 04:16 PM
May 2006?
Let's see... if I start a swear jar now and put 25 in it every time that I say a bad word... Hmmm...

Hey! Good News! I should have the trip fully financed by June 2005! :D