PDA

View Full Version : Experience with AG-Plus for Dry Plate Glass Negatives?

largeformat65
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi, I have started my journey of making and using dry plate negatives with AG-Plus. I have gone through the process of making and exposing a few plates and starting to build the practical experience required to shape my efforts, but wanted to find out from others that have used AG-Plus what their experiences has taught them.

Did you find a thinner coat or thicker coat of AG-Plus worked best for your negatives? (I've been purposely trying to pour plates differently to try and understand the impact on the negative so that I can standardized on one way for optimal results).

I sub my plates with gelatin and chrome alum and let dry for one day before applying emulsion. I've heard from people that don't sub and from others that say the opposite. Based on your experience with AG-Plus what did you find out? (It seems logical to me that subbing with gelatin and hardening with chrome alum only makes good sense, but wanted to see what others here found out over time).

Any tricks or tips on coating the plate that worked best for you? (I do a lot of wet plate work so I try and pour the plates like I do collodion and let excess pour off before sitting on my chilling table)

Drying box? (I have just been using shoe boxes that I drilled some ventilation holes in and places some silica gel packs in there to help soak up the moisture.) I've kept the box in my darkroom, but would like to make a drying box that is light safe with ventilation. Anyone have plans or a tutorial on how to build one?

Long term protection of the plates? I was considering varnishing my dry plate negatives for long term protection like I do my Ambrotypes. Is there any reason you can think of to not do this?

Thanks

LF

Jerevan
06-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I have not used AG-Plus but there is a lot of practical information at www.thelightfarm.com - look at the dry plate section - there are photos of a drying cabinet and a levelled marble chilling table, for example. The book Silver Gelatin is also a good way to get some more answers, with photos of things that can be hard (and wordy) to describe in text.

Jerevan
06-25-2012, 05:40 PM
I found this older thread about drying boxes today:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/45748-home-made-coated-paper-drying-box.html

yashasvi bhuta
03-27-2014, 11:01 AM
you can buy factory made from slavich
following is the link u can use to reach them
http://www.newslavich.com/content/technical-photographic-plates.html