PDA

View Full Version : WTB - SCSI to USB or Firewire adapter

MattKing
07-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi folks.

We are considering replacing our home computer, and would like to move to something that takes less space.

Our current computer has an SCSI card which I use to communicate with my older Minolta Dimage Scan Multi scanner.

It is using the "Media" version of Windows XP-2. I also installed a Linux partition, and sometimes boot into Linux from there. The scanner works in both Linux and Windows environments.

That scanner has the following input/output ports: SCSI-2 (connector: full 50-pin + D-sub 25-pin).

I would like to obtain an adapter that would permit a computer connection using the computer's USB or Firewire ports.

I'm hoping to acquire something that uses Windows 7 (before the new Windows arrives).

I've tried to find an adapter using local resources and the internet, with no success.

I understand that the adapters have been problematic for some.

If you have something, kindly advise what you would want for it.

I'll pay using PayPal (in response to a PayPal invoice). Shipping can be either to me here in Canada, or to my mailing address just a few minutes/miles away in Washington State, USA.

Thanks,

PhotoJim
07-14-2012, 04:00 PM
There are PC Card to SCSI interface adapters available, but modern computers usually don't have PC Card slots. They have Expresscard instead if they're laptops, and I'm not sure if an Expresscard-to-SCSI adapter exists.

I have never seen USB- or FireWire-to-SCSI interfaces, unfortunately.

tkamiya
07-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Would you be interested in SCSI card itself? I might have a few in my storage if you want one.

MattKing
07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
I have an Adaptec SCSI card in my current desktop.

The new computer will be another "desktop" (with the capacity for additional cards) if necessary.

I was just hoping to reduce the amount of space and cabling required by transitioning into one of the "All-In-One" units - something like this: http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=100803&storeId=20153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666458922 (for purposes of illustration).

Our family computer is in the living room ;)

SCSI to Firewire adapters did definitely exist at one time - you can find 10 year old or so postings about them on the internet.

PhotoJim
07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Be careful what you search for. SCSI to FireWire would let you attach FireWire devices to the SCSI bus. FireWire to SCSI would let you attach SCSI devices to the FireWire bus.

MattKing
07-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Be careful what you search for. SCSI to FireWire would let you attach FireWire devices to the SCSI bus. FireWire to SCSI would let you attach SCSI devices to the FireWire bus.

Thanks Jim - didn't realize there was a protocol for the description.

MattKing
07-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Here is a link to a discontinued product that would probably satisfy my requirements if I could find one: http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html

wiedzmin
07-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Here is a link to a discontinued product that would probably satisfy my requirements if I could find one: http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html

last time I saw it on e b a y it was close to $300, but ... check this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creo-EVERSMART-FIREWIRE-upgrade-kit-SCSI-FIREWIRE-ratoc-fr1sx-/170862610799?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item27c834896f

in my opinion it is not worth the hassle + cost + 64bit drivers issues

I'm assuming based on scanner model that you are using it for MF. If not there are usb scanners available for 35mm plus with Infrared lamp. You should also check on dpug.org there is a sub-forum Scanning and Scanners http://www.dpug.org/forums/f6/

I would keep "old" computer, at least that's what I did ... :)

MattKing
07-15-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks. That link is certainly more than I would want to spend on it.

It is a Medium Format scanner.

And keeping the "old" computer doesn't help with the space, footprint and "appearance" issues - not to mention the fact that the existing computer probably needs some money (hard drive upgrade) spent on it to keep it viable.

wiedzmin
07-15-2012, 01:06 AM
you could try adaptec asc-29160n http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/scsi/u160/asc-29160n/ (you can find them for about $20) there are drivers for windows 7 and win 7 64 and it will work with VueScan pro, but your new computer will have to have PCI slot what in case of "all in one" design will be a problem.

MattKing
07-15-2012, 01:12 AM
you could try adaptec asc-29160n http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/scsi/u160/asc-29160n/ (you can find them for about $20) there are drivers for windows 7 and win 7 64 and it will work with VueScan pro, but your new computer will have to have PCI slot what in case of "all in one" design will be a problem.

Thanks - essentially that is an updated version of the card I installed in my current computer.

Greg Davis
07-15-2012, 09:07 AM
I have one of the adapters for my SCSI drum scanner to my firewire port of my computer. It is a hassle to use and I highly recommend installing a SCSI card in the computer instead. It is so much trouble that I am considering getting a new computer and putting in a card just to eliminate the adapter from the system.

MattKing
07-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks Greg for the warning.

Now in case you decide to just toss the adapter ....;)

I'm always willing to experiment.

bernard_L
07-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I face the same situation. Coolscan LS-2000, SCSI interface, aging (Athlon2000) computer. After some research, I share my conclusions:
- No more USB-SCSI (or firewire-SCSI) converters available; did not see any used ones for sale
- If/when I upgrade my computer, it will be a modular box. Only way to support legacy interfaces. And, think: the all-in-one may look nice and tidy at first; less so with all the external attachments: extra disk(s), USB expansion hub, etc... Some compactness can be had with "slim" mini-towers and/or µATX motherboards.
- Plus, with the all-in-one your hands are tied wrt the choice of monitor. If your take the time to scan, you should worry about the quality of the monitor.
- Legacy SCSI cards will not have Win7/64 drivers, except some high-end Adaptec models (let alone the price, what would you do with ultra-wide low voltage differential connectors?). XP drivers are rumored to work under Win7/32. Fallback: XP/32 (not a bad system after all).
Good luck

PhotoJim
07-15-2012, 11:41 PM
There are compact desktops. My desktop at work is very small and neat appearing. It has only two PCI slots but you only need one to have SCSI.

ozphoto
07-16-2012, 12:40 AM
I had a similar problem with my old Agfa Duoscan 1200. I picked up a USB adapter to use with XP - found it totally useless and ended up spending $200 on an old desktop (running Win98) that I use for the scanner and as a backup for my files. Works a treat with a SCSI card I was given by my local computer store.

MattKing
07-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks all.

I think I am beginning to understand why these adapters aren't around.

I hope my space and other constraints don't end up forcing me to retire the scanner.

There certainly isn't room for another computer, and I hate laptops.

dances_w_clouds
07-16-2012, 03:39 AM
I had to retire a Canoscan 9900F as it would only works on XP. So I know its a pita

Greg Davis
07-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Matt, my adapter only came with Mac software, so I don't know if it would even work on a PC. To use it, I had to turn on my drum scanner, start the adapter software, set the adapter to off within the software, restart the scanner, restart the computer, restart the adapter and turn on the adapter within the software, turn the restart the scanner again and restart the computer. It was then ready to use. Maybe. Sometimes I hard to go through this procedure twice.