PDA

View Full Version : Rochester or Bust - Rolling Up My Sleeves, Making a Move...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

jnanian
08-18-2012, 08:33 PM
great stuff !

wonderful stuff chris,
best of luck and lots of fun !

happy trails
john

Klainmeister
08-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Excellent, you clearly have a drive and curiosity deeply needed in the chemical cult of photography. I am envious of your time in Rochester. Shall we trade addresses and become pen pals? I've become an unofficial apprentice at B+S at the ripe age of 24--working under Mr. Sullivan and team. Send each other failed attempts and descriptions on WTF is going on?!

Just a thought, but hell, go at it man. Good on ya!

MattKing
08-18-2012, 09:33 PM
In response to some observations that have apparently now been removed from this thread, I seem to recall that there has been in the past some passably good work done in this field by a couple of professional musicians :whistling: .

So Chris (and Klainmaster too as well) I would add - don't let doubt get in the way of your passion.

Ian Grant
08-19-2012, 04:57 AM
In response to some observations that have apparently now been removed from this thread, I seem to recall that there has been in the past some passably good work done in this field by a couple of professional musicians :whistling: .

So Chris (and Klainmaster too as well) I would add - don't let doubt get in the way of your passion.

In more recent years Dr Mike Ware was funded by Kodak to do his research into alternative processes. Unfortunately that source of funding has dried up but there's still a need for further explorations.

Hopefully Chris will revive or take further some older ideas.

Ian

rmazzullo
08-19-2012, 07:19 AM
And so the great journey begins....good luck Chris!

Bob M.

Newt_on_Swings
08-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Dude! That's just awesome. The best of luck to you and Ron! I'm a bit envious at the opportunity you have received. Safe travels friend!

vintagesnaps
08-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity, hope you enjoy it. And while you're there, go to the War Memorial and take in an Amerks game!

Ian David
08-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Nice work! All the best with it, Chris.

SkipA
08-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Go for it, Chris, and best of luck, adventure, and success to you.

kb3lms
08-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Best of luck, Chris! Sounds like a great opportunity. Hopefully, you can bring much back to us in the wider community.

-- Jason

ME Super
08-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Good luck in Rochester, Chris. Learn lots from Mark and Ron and those other guys too. I'm looking forward to your posts about things Ron and Mark have taught you.

mhanc
08-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Fantastic! Best of luck.

PS: I was in Rochester this summer and LOVED the city!!!! Best kept secret in the US.

Mike Wilde
08-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Chris, This sounds awesome, and so much more dynamic than the Photo Conservator program that I think you were thinking about at Ryerson in Toronto.

If you get the itch to get our way at some time I have a spare bed room, extra darkroom facilities enlargers, and a spot in the driveay to park to host you.

We are about 3 hours away from your new base. It may sound like a long way if you have always lived close to home, but once you start to spread your wings it gets easier.

kraker
08-20-2012, 09:14 AM
A bold decision. Exciting. Awesome! Best of luck, and be sure to keep us updated.

holmburgers
08-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Again, thanks everyone for the encouragement, the generous offers and also the words of wisom. I take them all seriously and my hope is to do good by everyone. I know that Ron and I are going to have a lot of fun doing this. He's always hinted at wanting some help in his work, and the time was right for something new in my life. I thought maybe grad school, but in the end, this seemed like the road less traveled.

I should mention that this internship is completely unpaid, so I'll have to find work and support myself. But that's all part of the fun I guess, and I'm confident I can find something to pay the bills. Regardless of this challenge, I s'pose I'll never have a lower standard of living than I do currently... so better now than later!

:laugh:

If anyone has any good rice and beans recipes, I'm all ears.

The short, cold winter days of Rochester should be the perfect setting for darkroom work and study. There's a huge list of stuff I want to try to tackle, and only time will tell how much I can actually get to. One thing is for sure, I'll never get bored and be wondering what to do next. All the while, I'm going to be scanning everything, writing up everything and sharing anything that might be of interest.

Ian Grant
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
You might try asking Kodak if the still provide Bursaries, while it's unlikely you never know there may be money in funds that the Directors can't touch for anything else. There's possibly Trusts etc that maybe able to help as well, either way you'd have to make a case for what you're proposing to study/research but that might not be a bad thing anyway.

Ian

TheFlyingCamera
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Don't forget canned tuna fish. Nectar of the unemployed :) And when you feel like splurging, mix the canned tuna into (cooked!) Kraft Mac & Cheese. And don't forget to come visit here in DC - we don't have the photo resources that Eastman House does, but we've got some pretty cool collections and museums down here too :)

Seriously, this sounds like an awesome opportunity - I'm jealous as all heck, and best of luck to you!

lxdude
08-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Chris-

Since you came on board here, I've been impressed with your level of curiosity and intelligent questioning. This is a great next step for you.

lxdude
08-20-2012, 01:14 PM
If anyone has any good rice and beans recipes, I'm all ears.

No, that's for corn and beans recipes.;)

I know, corny joke.

Well, you are from Kansas...

TheFlyingCamera
08-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Trying to make a (corn)silk purse out of a sow's ear?