PDA

View Full Version : Rochester or Bust - Rolling Up My Sleeves, Making a Move...

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

lxdude
08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Oh yes, trying...

very trying.
:D

Photo Engineer
08-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Rochester is a heavy agricultural district known for corn, melons, cabbage, apples and cherries. We live on the edge of a huge apple orchard and our son used to get money in summers working in the orchard picking fruit.

No need to worry about inexpensive carbs! We have plenty here. Fruit and vegetable stands about every mile with some of the finest corn you can eat. And, thank God, no drought here. Just some erratic rain.

PE

Sirius Glass
08-20-2012, 05:35 PM
If anyone has any good rice and beans recipes, I'm all ears.

Consider "spaghetti with "out" sauce". :whistling:

Prof_Pixel
08-20-2012, 06:03 PM
In Rochester you can get chicken wings like they were intended to be prepared, beef on weck and white hots.

Photo Engineer
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Consider "spaghetti with "out" sauce". :whistling:

And spaghetti with oil (or butter), cheap vermouth and bacon crumbles makes a nearly authentic Italian dish. A little garlic powder and some grated cheese! Mmmmm.

I had days like this as a 2nd Lt. in the AF and then as a grad student. Come to think of it, in the early days at EK it wasn't easy either.

PE

Sirius Glass
08-20-2012, 07:02 PM
In Rochester you can get chicken wings like they were intended to be prepared, beef on weck and white hots.

In Rochester chicken wings are not a side dish for televised football games, they are a major food staple.

L Gebhardt
08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Good luck. I grew up in Rochester a few blocks from the Eastman house. I still miss the city at times, even though I'm very happy where I'm at. There's just something that feels "right" about Rochester to me (but it's not the lack of sun in the winter).

Photo Engineer
08-20-2012, 10:02 PM
So? I still miss Pittsburgh!

PE

walbergb
08-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Who said film is dead? Analog photography is in good hands:)

holmburgers
08-21-2012, 10:29 AM
How's the skiing in the east? Where's closest/best place from Rochester? I've gotten pretty used to an annual ski trip to the Rockies, but I think this year it's gonna be in the Appalachians!

Photo Engineer
08-21-2012, 10:31 AM
There are 3 or 4 great skiing resorts within about 30 miles of Rochester. In the winter, they show skiing condition updates live on the news.

PE

wildbillbugman
08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Yes Holmburgers,
I wish you the very best in upstate N.Y. I was born and raised in N.Y.C. and places "upstate" were as foreign to me as Nepal. Sudying under Ron sounds exciting (I mean intelectualy, not sexualy). Chemical photography will see a rebirth, after all circuitry on Earth is wiped out via sunspots, or Atomic detination in the atmosphere. It can happen!
Bill

Sirius Glass
08-21-2012, 05:57 PM
How's the skiing in the east? Where's closest/best place from Rochester? I've gotten pretty used to an annual ski trip to the Rockies, but I think this year it's gonna be in the Appalachians!

Been there and done that. Vertical rise of around 1,000 feet. Just plan to keep skiing in the Rockies or you will be disappointed. For deep powder consider Fernie in southeastern British Columbia.

wildbillbugman
08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Not alot of skiing in Central Park.

mhanc
08-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Whiteface!! Largest vertical in the East. Only a few hours drive from Rochester to Lake Placid, NY - home of the Miracle on Ice

lxdude
08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Sudying under Ron sounds exciting (I mean intelectualy, not sexualy).

That had to be clarified?:eek:
:blink:

Sounds like the long stretch around here of hot, humid days over 100 degrees finally got to ya, Bill.:whistling:;)

filmamigo
10-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Fantastic -- the bravery to pick up and physically move towards your dreams will echo through every part of your life. Best of luck, and enjoy the time with your mentors!

Newt_on_Swings
10-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I visited Rochester about a month ago. I have a cousin that lives there with her husband. Great place, awesome diners for breakfast. We also went to the grape festival, there was wine tastings and tons of food like BBQ and such. I also had a chance to visit the Eastman house. I really enjoyed it and got to go on the indoor tour. It was raining so the outside grounds tour wasn't available. Also there was a wedding held there, which kinda blocked off certain areas. It's a fairly new thing my cousin in law said. I would visit again!

Klainmeister
10-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I know you're there Chris, how bout an update?

canuhead
10-21-2012, 08:27 AM
what ? no love for Nick's Tahou around here ? be brave if you go lol