PDA

View Full Version : Rochester or Bust - Rolling Up My Sleeves, Making a Move...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

holmburgers
08-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Dear Fellow APUGgers,

3 years ago I joined APUG with no more knowledge about chemical photography than developer, stop and fix. Since that time though, the study and history of analog photography has become something of an all consuming hobby of mine. This is in no small part thanks to the many people here that have fostered an atmosphere of collaboration, research, innovation, knowledge sharing and most importantly, a love for photography's past.

Although I've not been able to show a lot for my work, in terms of physical examples and practical results, my efforts have been primarily spent in understanding, researching, and compiling information about techniques and processes; always with the hope of doing something with this in the future. APUG has allowed me to connect with so many people in the photography world that I feel fairly certain saying that without it, this passion could not have grown the way it did.

So, with that in mind, I'm excited to announce that in October I will be relocating to Rochester, NY to begin a more serious study under the tutelage of our dear friend Ron Mowrey, a.k.a. Photo Engineer. In addition to learning as much as I can from Ron about emulsion making and photographic chemistry, I'll be an intern at the George Eastman House where I'll be able to learn from and assist Mark Osterman. In addition to helping out with the workshops there and utilizing the facilities, I'll be involved with Mark and others in resurrecting a number of processes that have yet to see the light of day. I couldn't be more thankful to Ron for accepting me as an apprentice, and also to Mark for granting me intern status at GEH. The resources available in Rochester are going to be absolutely wonderful, and I'm incredibly excited to take on this challenge; putting rubber to the road, money where my mouth is and learning to walk the walk.

I wanted to share this with everybody on APUG because I feel like I've gotten to know a lot of the people here over the last three years and I really cherish the community that exists. With that in mind, I owe many of you a heartfelt thanks. Rest assured that I'll be sharing as much as I can on APUG and my hope is that I can contribute meanginfully to an appreciation and understanding of analog photography. Now that the Digital Revolution is over, it's time for a Renaissance!

At the ripe age of 26.875, I've never lived further than 30 miles from my hometown, so moving east 1000 miles is going to be quite an exciting journey. I'll be leaving my family, loved ones, my closest friends, the towns I've gotten to know so well, and in short, a comfy life. But as Thoreau said, "Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes"... I guess I'm ready to widen my world a bit. Fortunately though I'll have people in Rochester looking out for me, which is a great feeling.

All I ask is that you guys and gals wish me the best... and Ron too!

Yours sincerely,

Chris Holmquist
holmburgers
Lawrence, KS

ROL
08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I am truly envious of your commitment, determination and pluck ...and I feel somehow proud (though I'm certain I had nothing whatsoever to do with your journey). You remind me of someone I once knew when I was younger. You are making it happen. Best of luck!

M.A.Longmore
08-17-2012, 12:03 PM
You have a brother from another mother, in Hartsdale.
Looking forward to welcoming you to the neighborhood.

May The Photographic Phorce Be With You !

{ The Other } Ron

Ken Nadvornick
08-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Absolutely wish both you and Ron the best possible luck in this new adventure. I've always enjoyed reading your outside-the-box style of posts and look forward to continuing to do so. What an exciting thing to do!

Ken

BrianShaw
08-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Good for you!

toro_mike
08-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Good luck! Sounds like an awesome journey is about to begin!

Jerevan
08-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Wow... an intern at George Eastman House! Oh man, I wish I could be there too. You're living my dream. :)

Chris, I wish you all the best, deeply felt.

seadrive
08-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Congrats, Chris!

The next 26.875 years of your life will go by more quickly than you can imagine, so make the best of every opportunity you have to live your dreams. They won't remain the same over time, but as long as you stay true to what your heart tells you to do, life will be good.

All the best,
Steve

Thomas Bertilsson
08-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Well done, Chris! Very excited for you in your adventure. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you can excite many people to look at photographic alternatives as something viable, exciting, and unique.

Bob Carnie
08-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Remember what your mother told you always wear clean underwear, and brush your teeth at least twice a day.

Good luck with your quest.

Bob

Ian Grant
08-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Remember what your mother told you always wear clean underwear, and brush your teeth at least twice a day.

Good luck with your quest.

Bob

And don't believe everything you're told :D

I mean that in a positive way as there's approaches never really been re-explored.

Ian

Rick A
08-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Here's a huge pat on the back and a heart felt "good for you"!!

Prof_Pixel
08-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Chris,

Mark mentioned to me that someone was coming in October to work with Ron. Rochester is a great city with lots of things to see and do, so I know you will enjoy your stay. I'm sure I'll see you many times at the GEH.

Fred

MDR
08-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Good Luck wish you loads of fun with Mark Osterman and Ron Mowrey.

Dominik

zenrhino
08-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Grats! Make sure you have one last pint at FreeState and hit Bryant's on your way through KC as you head east. The one on Brooklyn, of course!

You guys are going to do great work.

holmburgers
08-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Sincere thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement; they mean a lot.

polyglot
08-17-2012, 07:58 PM
holmburgers: awesome. You will keep us all updated on progress?

Mustafa: STFU already with the golden-age mystical bullshit. Just because there are famous past-masters doesn't mean that no one new can master something and make a contribution to the field.

Bill Burk
08-17-2012, 08:20 PM
holmburgers,

Good luck in your new venture!

brucemuir
08-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Awesome opportunity. I know you'll use it wisely and benefit everyone involved!!!

zsas
08-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Outstanding to hear! One day I might be buying your books! Congrats and Godspeed