PDA

View Full Version : It's official, Kodak is selling its film business.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Chan Tran
08-26-2012, 02:07 PM
If someone buys Kodak film business can they make Kodak brand film? Or the name doesn't come with the business?

BrianShaw
08-26-2012, 02:12 PM
I think if you wade through the various threads (not an easy task), the trademark is being considered part of the package.

RattyMouse
08-26-2012, 07:11 PM
What I was saying is that the MANUFACTURE of tubes is mainly confined to the ones used in Guitar amps and other sudio equipment (Ignoring Magnetrons) No one is currently making 50L6GTs for example. Unlike Film - Fortunatly_ tubes don't have an expiry date so some dealers have gatherd up tubes that date back as far as WWII to make them available to those who use them.

Virtually every tube with measurable demand is being made now. There are all kinds of stereo manufacturers producing equipment that uses vacuum tubes. Western Electric even reopened their plant to start up 300B producing again, but I think that has once again closed down. Those tubes last an eternity so once you buy these power tubes, you often dont need to again for 10 years or more.

Current tube production is in eastern Europe and China. Hopefully these two regions can save film as well.

mikendawn
08-26-2012, 11:22 PM
If you consider that Kodak outsourced it's Chemical division years ago, the chems are all "Kodak" branded, so if they "nix" their film division I'm sure it'll still be labelled as Kodak film.

jnanian
08-27-2012, 01:33 AM
If you consider that Kodak outsourced it's Chemical division years ago, the chems are all "Kodak" branded, so if they "nix" their film division I'm sure it'll still be labelled as Kodak film.

they sell polaroid batteries at my local neighborhood JUNK STORE.

Steve Smith
08-27-2012, 03:04 AM

In the UK we have 1 stores (everything costs 1). The bargain batteries (pack of 12 for 1) are branded Kodak. They last about five minutes.

Steve.

RattyMouse
08-27-2012, 03:55 AM
In the UK we have 1 stores (everything costs 1). The bargain batteries (pack of 12 for 1) are branded Kodak. They last about five minutes.

Steve.

Five minutes!! Does PE know that these Kodak batteries are sub par??

railwayman3
08-27-2012, 04:58 AM
I've bought these Kodak batteries from the UK pound store (actually 11 in the pack I got, "10 plus one extra free"!). They're the old-fashioned zinc chloride type (says that on the packet, also "Made in China, extra heavy duty for low power products"). So, basically, just cheap-and-cheerful!

But is this really the sort of product Kodak should be putting out or licencing under what was once a top quality US brand names?? IDK?

The same store has been selling Kodak Color Plus (24 exp) and Agfa Vista 200(36 exp) (the latter clearly made by Fuji) for 1....a good buy, particularly the Agfa! !

Steve Smith
08-27-2012, 05:01 AM
You're right. Ten plus one, not twelve!

extra heavy duty for low power products

How does that work?!!

Steve.

railwayman3
08-27-2012, 05:12 AM
How does that work?!!

Steve.

Dunno!! :confused:

(Seriously, the old zinc chlorides are OK for things like clocks and remotes which take very little power, maybe small pocket torches. Hopeless for anything with a motor or high-drain like flash or digital cameras. So users who don't realise this or read the packet could blame Kodak for selling rubbish!
Particularly when good alkaline batteries can be bought for 4 or 6 for 1 (the Kodak alkalines at that price are quite OK, but not perhaps up to the brand leaders in my humble experience).

Roger Cole
08-27-2012, 06:25 AM

And the Kodak chemicals are as good as they ever were. This means absolutely nothing. It just means that the transferred name isn't a guarantee of the same quality, true enough, but neither is it a guarantee of lesser quality.

Diapositivo
08-27-2012, 06:42 AM
And the Kodak chemicals are as good as they ever were. This means absolutely nothing. It just means that the transferred name isn't a guarantee of the same quality, true enough, but neither is it a guarantee of lesser quality.

It means bad marketing because it violates rule number 1: you don't devalue a brand using it for low-quality products, if you use that brand also for average-quality, or high-quality photos.

In the case of Kodak it is even worse as the brand Kodas has a strong photographic connotation, people would buy Kodak batteries to power their cameras or their flashes. If the batteries are unfit for photographic apparati, branding them Kodak is a (big) mistake. Don't forget that is supposed to be "the imaging company" not "the battery company".

If Kodak produces both high-end ink-jet inks fit for photographic prints and lower-end ink-jet inks unfit for "imaging", it should brand the latter in a different way. Whatever is branded "Kodak" is branded "the imaging company".

Roger Cole
08-27-2012, 07:09 AM
I hear you, I'm just saying that the implication I got from the post was because the batteries weren't good, spun off but still sold as Kodak film would not be the quality we are used to either, and I don't think one can conclude that at all. In fact it's almost certain it would be made on the same machines by the same people.

mikendawn
08-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Kodak... Sticking it to the little guy since 2004!

Bend over, we have batteries for you.. And when we're all done, we'll spray our cheap ink in your hair....
There's some good news... Ilford hasn't tried to expand their horizons to include making cheap laser printers with even cheaper toner for B&W prints. :)

Curt
08-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Where did Bell and Howell go? From a decent company to a cheap gadget provider. Polaroid ended up making cheap DVD players.

ME Super
08-27-2012, 10:16 AM

Steve.

Here in the States, I've bought the Kodak branded pre-charged rechargeable AA batteries for the digi P&S. The rechargeable batteries which aren't the pre-charged ones (doesn't matter if they're Kodak brand or not) only hold a sufficient charge for a digi P&S for about a week. The pre-charged Kodak ones will hold their charge for months.

Photo Engineer
08-27-2012, 10:35 AM
I have had the worst luck with Kodak batteries. I even saved some in a sealed package that burst before I could use them. IDK if they have improved but the ones I have had were awful. I've said this before here on APUG.

PE

mikendawn
08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I used KODAK Batteries once... 5 minutes in my XBOX Controller and it was already spinning circles...
WTF is that?

I had those stupid Red Everready batteries last longer than than!

Oh Kodak... how far you have strayed..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cplAJ20y7ks&playnext=1&list=PL1BD3AD12FA427AFC&feature=results_main

Felinik
08-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Kodak, batteries?

Batteries are produced by:

VARTA
ENERGIZER
DURACELL
PANASONIC/SANYO

batwister
08-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Let's make a written list of everything Kodak has and is doing wrong. Does anybody have discount at a paper factory?