PDA

View Full Version : It's official, Kodak is selling its film business.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Uncle Bill
08-23-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm taking a wait and see approach. If a group a lot like Harman comes to the surface and makes a decent offer for Kodak's "still photography" division and makes a go of it. It might not bad in the end.

I like shooting with Tri-x, Ektar100 and Portra 400 but I'm also comfortable shooting with HP5, FP4, Delta 100, Neopan Acros 100, Reala 100 and Fuji 400H. The only concern I have is replacing Dektol as my print developer and for now I don't see the point of panicking just yet.

lxdude
08-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Maybe this is more appropriate now...

:laugh:

munz6869
08-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I care!! I'll use TXP320 until someone stops making it (and then I'll use Ilford HP5+) because the negatives I'm seeing these days are 'just so', and every time a film/chemical etc. is stopped I have to 're-tune'. The quality of Kodak film has been awesome (although now I'm using Fuji Acros instead of Plus-X - that's pretty awesome too!)

In summary: mixed emotions...

Marc!

Sirius Glass
08-23-2012, 07:03 PM
No! APUGgers unite and buy up all the Kodak film and put it in your freezers to keep the film from the hoarders!

PeteZ8
08-23-2012, 07:18 PM
No! APUGgers unite and buy up all the Kodak film and put it in your freezers to keep the film from the hoarders!

That's more like it :D

jp498
08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
I did the freezer/film thing last year. I'm beating the hoarders!

jnanian
08-23-2012, 07:24 PM
maybe polaroid can buy it ..

NB23
08-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Now watch the people at rff thanking the kodak rep for the excellent communication congratulating Kodak for the great efforts in keeping us informed.

LOL

bwfans
08-23-2012, 07:38 PM
When APUGgers unite and buy up all the Kodak film and put it in the freezers, do they become the biggest hoarder group on the planet for the Kodak film?

We are not beating hoarders, instead we are becoming hoarders ourselves :).

PKM-25
08-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Forgive me father, for I have hoarded....like.....big time:whistling:

RattyMouse
08-23-2012, 08:00 PM
maybe polaroid can buy it ..

I hope FUJIFILM can buy Kodak's film.

cdkrenzer
08-23-2012, 08:07 PM
All - sorry I didn't post here as well (I posted on RFF). I work with Kodak's PR agency and my name is Colleen Krenzer. I'll post here what I posted to the RFF site as I do want to have the same information out there. I will caveat this with the process was just initiated today, I work specifically with the film and paper groups and as such, am not involved in the corporate area and therefore, am not privy to all the latest information. That said, I will try my best.

Today, the company announced that is initiating the sales processes for the Personalized Imaging and Document Imaging businesses, which include the still film and P&OS businesses. Some key points.

1. Kodak will continue to manufacture all its products during this time.
2. As Kodak moves forward with the potential transition of these businesses to new ownership, it will ensure that customers continue to have the same products, services and support that they currently receive from Kodak.
3. As it has done with previous businesses that it has sold (e.g. Carestream), Kodak will ensure that the potential buyers shares its commitment to serving customers.

As much as I can, I will share updates with you, on behalf of the company. http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...sful-Emergence

kb3lms
08-23-2012, 08:30 PM
So they are selling off the remaining flagship products and keeping movie, graphic arts and x-ray film? Guess that tells us where the money is. Don't forget about x-ray films - millions of dollars there.

(AFAIK, they still coat the x-ray film that is then sold by Carestream.)

RattyMouse
08-23-2012, 08:42 PM
So they are selling off the remaining flagship products and keeping movie, graphic arts and x-ray film? Guess that tells us where the money is. Don't forget about x-ray films - millions of dollars there.

(AFAIK, they still coat the x-ray film that is then sold by Carestream.)

Film X-rays wont last long. Digital is more and more common. My kids had a set of x-rays done by the dentist recently and they were all digital.

markbarendt
08-23-2012, 08:48 PM

I'd bet they could but they already have the all tools they need to make film.

The only value I see for Fujifilm in buying Kodak's film division is to own the color film market outright.

It seems to me that at least for color film that could easily become a reality, even if they didn't buy Kodak.

lxdude
08-23-2012, 09:01 PM
When APUGgers unite and buy up all the Kodak film and put it in the freezers, do they become the biggest hoarder group on the planet for the Kodak film?

We are not beating hoarders, instead we are becoming hoarders ourselves :).

Sirius humor strikes again...

SkipA
08-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Bad idea. Fuji just keep discontinuing films. We would certainly have reduced film and paper diversity if Fuji were to buy Kodak's film and paper business.

nsouto
08-23-2012, 09:35 PM
If anything it's a good thing: maybe now the remnants will be handled by a company who knows how to handle film and its users.
Instead of the total joke Kodak has been in the last 15 years!
:whistling:

kb3lms
08-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Film X-rays wont last long. Digital is more and more common.

Sure they will. Onex/Carestream didn't buy that whole market from Kodak just to have it go T-U after just a few years. Film x-rays are cheap and can be done with equipment that has been in place for the last 25 years (or more) and fully depreciated. I'm talking about hospital imaging, not dental office stuff. Even in it's heydey, Kodak barely paid attention to dental.

In the 1990s, Kodak PROFITS in this market were 1 to 3 billion dollars per year against three heavy-hitter competitors. Granted, I've been away from it for 15 years but everytime I've gone through a hospital in the last 5 years, which has been far too many times, everything is done on ancient, cheap x-ray gear. And I doubt the Obamacare environment is going to justify stepping up to replace all that gear with multi-megadollar digital imaging suites.

New installations will go fully digital, though. No argument there.

IloveTLRs
08-23-2012, 10:17 PM
How and why do people see salvation in Fujifilm?