PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering, September 28-29-30, 2012

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

jp80874
09-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Peter and I have been having lots of fun in the flats. It feels very good to have another set of eyes at your back. Not that either one of us could put up much of a fight, but just being aware is great protection.

Peter has studied the Flats extensively and is a great tour guide. Not only does he know all the best places to shoot, but he has led me to several fun taverns that have both a good lunch and a cold one when needed. Oh, yeah, we have had some great shots to take as well. It is always a pleasure to see how differently two LF shooters see and photograph the same area.

We will be happy to share some of the best spots.

John

daleeman
09-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I went to the flats once with this group and really enjoyed it. Would enjoy doing it again some day. As insane as it sounds even after a good snow.

Can't help myself, I have always loved shooting out in the cold.

Looking forward to seeing Y'all.

djkloss
09-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Lee,

I have encouraged people in the past to let us know what you have to sell, or as Jeff did, what you are seeking. We each help each other.

John

I'm thinking of selling my house so I can buy more gear. and to cut down on expenses. it even comes equipped with a darkroom! tee hee! :p

jp80874
09-21-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm thinking of selling my house so I can buy more gear. and to cut down on expenses. it even comes equipped with a darkroom! tee hee! :p

You never know until you try.

When Dick Phillips retired from camera making in Midland, MI, up by Saginaw Bay, the realtor said his elaborate darkroom was no asset. The best the realtor could do was describe it as storage space. What closed the deal was the darkroom. The buyer was an executive for Dow moving to town. His wife was a film photographer who thought she would never find a house with even darkroom space or plumbing.

John

jp80874
09-21-2012, 08:14 AM
I went to the flats once with this group and really enjoyed it. Would enjoy doing it again some day. As insane as it sounds even after a good snow.

Can't help myself, I have always loved shooting out in the cold.

Looking forward to seeing Y'all.

Peter and/or I will be happy to take you there in warm weather. When it is cold here, it is very cold by the lake and river.

John

djkloss
09-21-2012, 10:53 AM
You never know until you try.

When Dick Phillips retired from camera making in Midland, MI, up by Saginaw Bay, the realtor said his elaborate darkroom was no asset. The best the realtor could do was describe it as storage space. What closed the deal was the darkroom. The buyer was an executive for Dow moving to town. His wife was a film photographer who thought she would never find a house with even darkroom space or plumbing.

John

:)

jp80874
09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Ohio Farm Museum update. I went over this afternoon to confirm our welcome next weekend. We are most welcome. This is their fall pumpkin and mum selling season. This is a working farm. There were two trailers with large wooden wheels and hundreds of potted mums in various stages, budding, early bloom and full glorious bloom. They were spectacular. There were an additional two trailers of pumpkins in all sizes.

Where one of the gardens was, in the open space between the post office, school house and library and slaughter house on one side and general store and wagon repair shop on the other, there is now a handmade wooded foundation for a 20x40 barn. I didn’t measure, but I would guess the stringers are 8”x12” each. It looks very solid.

To add character to the setting he has brought out a four door way Amish buggy behind the pumpkins and a high wheeled two seated sports buggy near the post office. I believe they will have cider, cookies and pie. If I remember our thin Jeff S had to been dragged away for the pies and cider last year, only with the promise that there would be more the next day.

Charlie, if you are interested, Jim thought you could do quite a wet plate portrait business if you wanted to earn some traveling money. Jim Fry thought we would add character to the event photographing people and farm items. I remember Peter was approached last year by a lady who thought he and his Deardorff were part of the decoration. Be careful Peter, she might want to take you home with her.

John

Charlie Wheelihan
09-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Ohio Farm Museum update. ...

Charlie, if you are interested, Jim thought you could do quite a wet plate portrait business if you wanted to earn some traveling money. Jim Fry thought we would add character to the event photographing people and farm items. I remember Peter was approached last year by a lady who thought he and his Deardorff were part of the decoration. Be careful Peter, she might want to take you home with her.

John

Thanks John,

I was thinking about doing that very thing. When I spoke with Jim the last time there he mentioned me possibly doing portraits there when I came back in the Fall. If the weather cooperates I will probably spend most of my weekend doing that. It would give me a good opportunity to pay for some of my chems and maybe put a little dent in recouping some of the cost of my equipment!

Charlie

winger
09-22-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't want to jinx it by saying something, but I keep getting told that I'm free to go over there - WITHOUT NATE! Hubby is home and fine with some father/son bonding without mom around (there's a car-related auction nearby, too). Don't have a clue how Nate will take it, but I'd say it's hubby's turn. MWA HA HA HA.
I'll likely still just do a day trip on Saturday, but hopefully a long one. I'm looking forward to seeing the farm museum.

jp80874
09-23-2012, 01:10 PM
I ran into Jim Fry today and discovered there had been a misunderstanding when we would be at the Farm Museum. He thought we were coming today. I explained our event was next weekend, Sept. 28, 29, 30th. What this means. We are still welcome, but he does not expect the high volume of people he hopes will be there today. There is going to be a museum tour and a meeting of the OH Dousing Association. Yes Virginia, there is an OH Dousing Association and as you might expect Jim Fry is one of its founding members.

We will have easier and closer parking, but there may not be as many portrait prospects for you Charlie. I am sorry about this, but it will mean easier shooting for everyone else.

John

jp80874
09-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't want to jinx it by saying something, but I keep getting told that I'm free to go over there - WITHOUT NATE! Hubby is home and fine with some father/son bonding without mom around (there's a car-related auction nearby, too). Don't have a clue how Nate will take it, but I'd say it's hubby's turn. MWA HA HA HA.
I'll likely still just do a day trip on Saturday, but hopefully a long one. I'm looking forward to seeing the farm museum.

Bethe,

Hope you make it. We really enjoyed your visit with show and tell last trip, short as it was. If you can escape longer you are more than welcome. Why you could even stay through Monday and see Dolly's class of 21 First Graders.

If you arrive and we are not at the house the museum is only 1.4 miles away.

Continue west on Everett Rd.
Turn right at the first road (Southern).
Cross over Rt. I-271
The Fry house and museum will be on the right at 2891 Southern Rd. Richfield, OH 44286 There are all sorts of signs out front about pumpkins, mums, museum.

John

jp80874
09-23-2012, 01:31 PM
It is less than a week before the event. The Porta Potty has been ordered.
The ten day weather forecast reads like this:
Friday: partly sunny, high 68 degrees, low 53 degrees, 10% chance of rain
Saturday: mostly cloudy, high 67 degrees, low 52 degrees, 20% chance of rain
Sunday: cloudy 68, 52, 20%
Wind less than 10mph all three days.

As usual the host is wondering who will visit us? Thank you all who have posted. Who else is coming? Any film lurkers are welcome.

Thanks,

John & Dolly

mjs
09-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Looks like I won't make it again. The car is now doing mysterious things. Yesterday it wouldn't start after work and I suspected the clutch safety switch so I replaced it. Didn't make any difference. My daughter picked me up and brought me home and I drove the old pickup truck to work (1993. It isn't suitable for long journeys any more. It wouldn't make it. One of these days on a trip to the dump we'll just leave it there.)

Today after work I give it a try and zoom! fires right up. Drive it home and then later have to run to the post office. Zoom! Runs fine. Darn thing is going to leave me beside the road or in a parking lot one of these days and I'll have the opportunity to try again to figure out the problem, but I'd rather not be 200 miles from home when that happens. Sorry!

Mike

jp80874
09-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Mike,

Stuff happens. Sorry. We will miss you. Frustrating, that you have waited so long for some free time, and then this.

The trip up to Harbor Springs for Photostock was the last ride of my 2003 Highlander. The mechanics said it was looking at $3000 worth of work by snow fall and blue book was $5000. The girls are dirtying up a 2010 now. Dolly says, one dirty, hairy SUV pretty much looks like another.

John

Charlie Wheelihan
09-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I regret to say I will not be able to attend the gathering this weekend as previously planned. I will miss you all!! Have to catch you all next time... Maybe Jeff can have some ice cream and something with bacon for me!

jp80874
09-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Charlie,

Really sorry to hear you can’t make it. I was looking forward both to your company and learning more about wet plate.

John

jp80874
09-26-2012, 05:26 PM
What we need to know, is who is coming?
Who will be camping?
Who will be here when?
Of those coming, who would like to go to the Fry Farm Museum, who would like to go to the Flats, or is there a third as yet unspecified place you would like to photograph?

John

Charlie Wheelihan
09-26-2012, 08:22 PM
John, thank you. I of course will miss your company as well. And even though I cant make it, thanks for hosting this wonderful gathering, I am sad to miss it this time around. I hope you all have great weather!

Nicholas Lindan
09-26-2012, 09:17 PM
John,

It looks like, at the last minute, I have found someone to care for aged relative on Saturday. If all goes well, I will able to make it.

I am greatly looking forward to it, these gatherings are a gas [what can I say, it was the 60's, I was there, and occasionally some distant (and usually inappropriate) memory bubbles to the surface].

Nicholas Lindan

winger
09-26-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm still fairly sure I can make it by myself on Sat. Hubby is pretty set on it happening. I'm hoping to leave here early (yeah, I know, even hubby is laughing at that one). I hope to be over there by about 10ish and I'd really like to shoot at the farm. I'll likely be throwing every format I have into the car. It'll just be a day trip and I'll likely leave around dinner time.