View Full Version : NE OH Gathering, September 28-29-30, 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

jp80874
10-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Will you look at our Dorothy.

"Erie photographer has passion for capturing images on film
By VICTOR FERNANDES, Erie Times-News
victor.fernandes@timesnews.com

Today's digital photography is quick and easy, but Dorothy Kloss wanted more than that when she picked up a camera four decades ago.

She was old-school at heart, even in high school. And when an Intro to Darkroom Techniques class at the Erie Art Museum a decade ago turned a love for traditional film photography into her passion, the Erie native knew the digital age never would hold a place in her heart.

"It's the whole relationship, and it's also the science," Kloss, 56, said of working with film. "It's like watching something blossom. I don't think you can get the same feeling with digital. The camera does all the work. (With film), you have all the control."

The fascination starts with a camera in her hands. Kloss said photographers visualize photos before taking them, and then start to make those photos happen through various cameras, lenses and films. "Every camera has a different look. Every lens has a different look. All the different films have a different look," she said. "So every time ... you know exactly what you're looking for."

Photographers make those photos come to life through the development process. Kloss has grown especially intrigued with those important hands-on steps. She pointed to "the relationship you have with putting your hands physically into the chemicals, touching the paper and touching the materials ... and seeing the results," Kloss said. "I fell in love and became passionate about black-and-white photography and using chemicals and watching a print evolve out of a plain piece of paper. It's like watching something blossom."

She doesn't have that same connection with digital photography. Kloss tried less than a year ago, when she purchased a digital camera to document people's artwork to enter into shows. "It's quick and easy," she said. "But I never got the passion that you get with film."

Kloss figures she's the last local photographer to work exclusively with film. She has a darkroom at home, but Kloss would be happy to develop photos like photographers did many years ago -- with watercolor paper, dry chemicals and natural sunlight.

She told the story of her father, Bill, who used old-style press cameras to photograph generals and other high-ranking officials in the Philippines while serving in the Army during World War II, and later to take photos of football games at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland and Syracuse University. She later inherited nearly all of her father's camera and darkroom equipment.

In 2006, she attended a workshop in Toronto, where Kloss learned about photography from the Civil War era. "It's just out of this world," she said. "I was just on cloud nine for a month after I came home because I'd never seen anything like that."

Kloss understands some people might consider her passion to be strange. But it makes perfect sense to her.

"I know it's crazy," she said, "but it's as if you're bonding with your camera. I don't have that relationship with a digital camera."

VICTOR FERNANDES can be reached at 870-1716 or by e-mail."

See the article and a great picture of Dorothy

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012310289872

winger
10-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Nice article! Go Dorothy!!

djkloss
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
i have an idea that had I not gone to the APUG conference in Toronto I'd probably not be doing this. maybe the 35mm, but not like this. John, and extended family... thank you for your support!

jp80874
10-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Dolly. the Girls and I all send our congratulations. Keep up the good work.

John

Jeff Bannow
11-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Congrats to Dorothy! Time for a celebratory drink.

ic-racer
11-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Just saw the article. Good work!

djkloss
11-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys!

jp80874
11-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Sunday, November 18th, Photorama swap meet at Richfield Days Inn, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
If enough of us show up and stay 'til noon, lets have lunch at the Musketeers Bar & Grille, 3027 Brecksville Rd, Richfield, OH. Tel: 330-659-4111

John

djkloss
11-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Miss you!

winger
11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
I finally got my drying shower back and developed the 4x5 and two rolls of 120 today (all from the farm museum). It's not dry, yet, but I'll post something as soon as I can. I think I might have a keeper or two. :)

jp80874
11-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Dare I ask what a drying shower is? Glad you got some good images.

Let Beth’s promise of pictures from the farm museum segue into an article about the farm in today’s (11/29/2012) Akron Beacon Journal. http://www.ohio.com/lifestyle/stone-garden-farm-village-steps-back-in-time-1.353669

This is a nice remembrance for those of us who have enjoyed shooting at the farm. It is a teaser and invitation to come to the next gathering for those who have not yet enjoyed the farm.

John

winger
11-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Dare I ask what a drying shower is? Glad you got some good images.

Let Beth’s promise of pictures from the farm museum segue into an article about the farm in today’s (11/29/2012) Akron Beacon Journal. http://www.ohio.com/lifestyle/stone-garden-farm-village-steps-back-in-time-1.353669

This is a nice remembrance for those of us who have enjoyed shooting at the farm. It is a teaser and invitation to come to the next gathering for those who have not yet enjoyed the farm.

John

The drying shower is the stall shower with a door in our downstairs bathroom that is never used as a shower. Which makes it perfect for hanging film to dry out of the reach of the fuzzy tails and laundry dust. The bathroom has been filled with the contents of hubby's storage room (called the "ops" room) for weeks while we awaited the arrival and installation of a large storage device to contain certain numerous items. FINALLY, the contents were moved back last week and I have the drying space back.

Nice article! I'll have to forward that to a few people.

winger
11-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Just a neg scan for now. I'm hoping to use the darkroom next Wed or Thurs.

jp80874
11-30-2012, 06:47 AM
I love that place. Everyone sees different things in different ways. Peter and I worked there two years and I never saw that.

John

winger
11-30-2012, 08:31 AM
I love that place. Everyone sees different things in different ways. Peter and I worked there two years and I never saw that.

John
The light has to be just the right angle to come in through the cracks, I think. 10 minutes later, it didn't look like that. I happened to look up at just the right time. I really can't wait to print what I got there. Thanks so much for finding it and sharing it with us, John!

jp80874
11-30-2012, 01:08 PM
I was just looking for a Christmas tree two years ago. Dolly was sick in bed and I was only a little better. I didn't want to go far from the Kleenex. After I found out how fantastic the place is, I wanted to enjoy it and share it with my friends. It is not a zero sum game. Everyone can have it all and it is still there for the next person who can see.

After I had been shooting there a few months a Digi shooter who had been shooting there for two years said, “Don’t tell anyone else about this place.”

Now you all have to come to the next gathering and see what Peter and I have found in the Flats.

John

djkloss
12-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Hope every one has a super holiday!

mjs
12-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Merry Christmas to everyone!

Mike

Jeff Bannow
12-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Hope every one has a super holiday!

Indeed, Merry Christmas everyone!

jp80874
12-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Dolly and I went over to Fry’s Thursday night to buy our Christmas tree. Jim has built a huge new/old building in the center of the common that will be the new general store. He must have plans for lots of goodies because it is larger than most of the buildings and two stories high. He has plans for a stand alone doctor’s office and several other buildings that I have forgotten. Best make New Year’s resolutions to come often and shoot lots. You are always welcome.

Peter and I met in the Flats before the storm came through. I had found a bridge on a bend that gives wonderful access to shots of the freighters, some with tugs, coming and going up and down river. They slow so much at the corners that I am hoping slow shutter speeds will work. Into the Jobo soon.

Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas from John, Dolly and the Girls.