PDA

View Full Version : New at Photokina 2012: ADOX SILVERMAX 35mm film 135/36

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

thomas l
09-27-2012, 04:52 AM
Henning, I'm sorry to say, but as Maco itself says that the films are identical and I remember even Schroeder himself stated exactly this one time after his end of work with Maco

But maybe it is a different batch, a batch which Harman didn't want to use, or something like that, I don't know. But it is completely clear that Harman did not make a special new film just for Mr Schroeder. We all see how difficult it is to make a new film.......and it would be really strange if Harman created a new unique film just to sell a small batch under the label of Rollei and stop production then. This would be completely nonsense and I'm sure that Harman does not make such nonsense. SO nobody believes this, this wouldn't be very logical. I'm agreeing with you, that Harman does not sell its products for OEM products, but this film maybe was not bought officialy directly from Harman - this is the reason why it was possible to sell it as Rollei RPX and this is the reason why Rollei RPX is running out. This is very simple if you are thinking logically about it

This does not mean that RPX was a bad film, please don't get me wrong

Thomas

Flux
09-27-2012, 05:14 AM
O.k., o.k., you have all won....;).

Thank you very much, Henning. I like the "test-shots" you made. I think everybody here knows that the monitors can not show how the projection or even the print look in real life.
I guess seeing the projection for the first time is quite stunning.

Kind regards
Tim

Henning Serger
09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Hello Thomas,

Henning, I'm sorry to say, but as Maco itself says that the films are identical

no, they say exactly the opposite, that the films are not identical. I've talked to them about this topic at Photokina last week.
Ilford has very clearly told them that these emulsions are different compared to the Kentmere.
They are also in very close contact to developer manufacturers Wolfgang Moersch, Heribert Schain and other independent experts who have tested all these films side by side. And all have so far confirmed Ilford's statement.

As you don't believe Ilford, Maco, Moersch, Sänger, Schain I suggest you just do a comparison test by yourself. Then you will see that the films are different.
(BTW, the error on the German macodirect shop site has been corrected).

But maybe it is a different batch, a batch which Harman didn't want to use, or something like that, I don't know. But it is completely clear that Harman did not make a special new film just for Mr Schroeder. We all see how difficult it is to make a new film.......

Of course they did it not for 'Mr Schroeder'. They have a contract with Maco. Mr Schroeder has retired more than a year ago, but the contract is still there. And both companies keep this contract.

and it would be really strange if Harman created a new unique film just to sell a small batch under the label of Rollei and stop production then.

The production is not stopped. There is just a new shipment from England on the way to Germany. The two RPX films will be available in the future. At Photokina they told me that the demand for these films is increasing.

This would be completely nonsense and I'm sure that Harman does not make such nonsense.

I completely agree that Harman does not make nonsense. They are very clever. And they are very cooperative. At Photokina I've heard so much happy comments about Harmans policy to cooperate with other companies. Their policy is very appreciated by their partners.
Harman produce film for Maco (the RPX line).
They also make paper for
- Adox
- Bergger
- Oriental.
It's part of their business to do OEM manufacturing. It works. It makes sense for them and their partners.

Best regards,
Henning

MDR
09-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Finally someone posted some images from that film on rangefinderforum.com
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=123486&page=2
The pictures look very clean and nice but not very APX like. Still a nice addition to the filmworld.
Congrats to Fotoimpex

Dominik

georg16nik
09-29-2012, 03:13 AM
Its a wild guess with those scans, look at the sky area of the 100% crops...
I am not familiar with this V700 (Epson?) scanner but it looks like 3200ppi is way beyond its optical capabilities and the grain is extremely interpolated..:blink:

MDR
09-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Its a wild guess with those scans, look at the sky area of the 100% crops...
I am not familiar with this V700 (Epson?) scanner but it looks like 3200ppi is way beyond its optical capabilities and the grain is extremely interpolated..:blink:

This might be but the tonality is nothing like APX. Still I think think the examples look good just not like APX.

Dominik

Felinik
09-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Finally someone posted some images from that film on rangefinderforum.com
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=123486&page=2
The pictures look very clean and nice but not very APX like. Still a nice addition to the filmworld.
Congrats to Fotoimpex

Dominik

Do one have to be a member to see them? I scrolled both pages on that thread, and still found no images...

:confused:

Thomas Bertilsson
09-29-2012, 11:51 PM
This might be but the tonality is nothing like APX. Still I think think the examples look good just not like APX.

Dominik

Tonality is somewhat in your control, by changing exposure and development. The characteristic curve I posted a few posts ago mustn't have been very accurate, then, since the Silvermax and APX had almost identical curves after x- and y-axis had been scaled to be the same for both films. .

georg16nik
09-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Do one have to be a member to see them? I scrolled both pages on that thread, and still found no images...

:confused:

Looks like the post with scans was deleted but You can still see it in the google cache.. probably not for long
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uVsiPqo3POIJ:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php%3Fpostid%3D1977372%2

ath
09-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Here's another set of silvermax pictures (http://www.aphog.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22254&start=45)

Felinik
09-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Looks like the post with scans was deleted but You can still see it in the google cache.. probably not for long
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uVsiPqo3POIJ:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php%3Fpostid%3D1977372%2

Probably your computer has the images cached, I only get broken image placeholders from that cache link, thanks anyway! (Maybe you can dig them up from your cache?).

:)

ath
09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
ADOX Silvermax first shots / samples (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=124290)

georg16nik
09-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Probably your computer has the images cached, I only get broken image placeholders from that cache link, thanks anyway! (Maybe you can dig them up from your cache?).

:)

Cache always off on my side - sorry! Besides, the images wasn't worth the look.
--
Thanks for sharing those, ath!

ADOX Silvermax first shots / samples (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=124290)
I wish folks used clean water, filtered fixer, clean tank/spiral etc.. while doing those..
Lots of white spots, and some of the frames shows the developer was not agitated properly..

Henning Serger
10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Thank you very much, Henning. I like the "test-shots" you made. I think everybody here knows that the monitors can not show how the projection or even the print look in real life.
I guess seeing the projection for the first time is quite stunning.

Kind regards
Tim

Thanks, Tim.

Seeing the projection is indeed absolutely stunning! Not only for the first time, every time :).
As much as I love doing my own prints in my darkroom, but BW slide projection with the right films is unique in its brillance and characteristic look.
There is a certain "impact" you can only get in projection. Difficult to describe in words, you must have seen it.

Best regards,
Henning

Trond
10-26-2012, 03:47 AM
I just upload a couple of prints from the new Silvermax film to the gallery. My first impressions of the film is very good. I used the Silvermax developer at the recommended time, and this produced negatives that were easy to print.

Trond

Oxleyroad
10-31-2012, 02:59 AM
My film order arrived today. I'll post some images after the race that stops a nation. That is I will post Wednesday next week after the Melbourne Cup horse race which is a public holiday :-)

braxus
01-03-2013, 08:05 PM
So how are people liking this new film? How does it compare to other high silver films like Efke? How does it look when used in regular developers like Xtol? Freestyle should be getting more in hopefully tomorrow, so I've ordered a roll to try it. I do prefer old school grain films though, which is why I like Tri-X and all Efke films.

Richard Sintchak (rich815)
01-03-2013, 08:43 PM
So how are people liking this new film? How does it compare to other high silver films like Efke? How does it look when used in regular developers like Xtol? Freestyle should be getting more in hopefully tomorrow, so I've ordered a roll to try it. I do prefer old school grain films though, which is why I like Tri-X and all Efke films.

Whoa! $6.49 a roll when Tmax 100 and Acros are $4.50 from B&H?? And Fomapan100 for $3.69? Even FP-4 is only $5.75. That Silvermax better be something special....

Trond
01-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Whoa! $6.49 a roll when Tmax 100 and Acros are $4.50 from B&H?? And Fomapan100 for $3.69? Even FP-4 is only $5.75. That Silvermax better be something special....

Strange pricing!

Silvermax is the cheapest alternative when ordering from fotoimpex.de, even cheaper than Fomapan 100, while Acros is the most expensive.

Great film! Although I haven't made any direct comparisons.

Trond

pentaxuser
01-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Strange pricing!

Silvermax is the cheapest alternative when ordering from fotoimpex.de, even cheaper than Fomapan 100, while Acros is the most expensive.

Trond

Not strange at all. We have been here before. It is yet another example of "what the market will bear" or what the seller(s) think the market will bear. Clearly the sellers believe there is a premium on something new with lots of silver in the U.S. market.

Cynical on my part? Of course but I am only reciprocating the cynicism shown to me by the sellers.

pentaxuser