PDA

View Full Version : Protest the proposed MTA photo ban--Dec. 18, 2004

Pages : [1] 2

David A. Goldfarb
12-17-2004, 06:49 AM
A "flash mob" in protest of the proposed regulations banning photography in the NYC transit system is planned for Dec. 18, 2004 at 1:00 p.m. Info at:

http://cfny.org/

bobfowler
12-17-2004, 09:45 AM
I wish I knew about this earlier, I would have kept the date and time open. Unfortunately, I can't make it...

mark
12-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Wrong end of the country, but snap a few shots for me.

bjorke
12-17-2004, 02:01 PM
The flash mob will surely be fun and will draw press. People who do not participate in it can still make a difference -- even if they don't live in NYC.

See this photopermit message (http://www.photopermit.org/archives/000046.html) (still on the front page of photopermit.org) for more info on what you can do.

rbarker
12-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Bjorke - thanks for the link. Excoriating e-mail comment sent to the MTA.

Andy K
12-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Good luck folks. It'd be great to see some of the results thumbnailed here!

Stephen J. Collier
12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
I wish that I lived in NYC, sorry I can't be there.

David A. Goldfarb
12-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Here are a few quick scans from the protest--

http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/temp/mta.html

Not a huge turnout--maybe 40 or 50 people. But there was an interesting contingent of photobloggers there, who are their own lively photographic community. Mostly shooting digital, but there were a few others shooting film.

Here's one of the more interesting photoblogs, with links to other bloggers who were at the event--

http://www.joesnyc.streetnine.com/archives/saturdays_protest_against_the_proposed_subway_phot o_ban-december_18_2004_13.html

Dave Wooten
12-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Thanks Dave for the update-I guess when I am there in Feb there will be no photography?
Dave in Vegas

David A. Goldfarb
12-22-2004, 09:14 AM
The cops we encountered didn't seem too enthusiastic about enforcing the ban, if it is enacted. You can buy plenty of books even at Grand Central Terminal with detailed photographs of the construction of the subway system, plans and anything else an enterprising terrorist might want.

jd callow
12-22-2004, 09:42 AM
I received a xmass catalogue form a philanthropic photography society this past month that featured multiple gifts depicting the Brooklyn bridge. I thought it was pretty funny and a bit of a tongue in cheek slap at the current restrictions.

Meanwhile, on my recent trip to the big apple we were stopped by the police, our names and ID taken and checked (and probably added to a list) because we were shooting on the street in Queens. God knows that of all the god forsaken patches of real estate in the USA Queens is the most desirable terrorist target.

I can't wait for my next international trip. I suspect I better wear clean underwear...

Jeffrey A. Steinberg
12-22-2004, 11:48 AM
I thought the MTA announced that they were going to do away with the ban. Am I dreaming that? It was about 3-4 weeks ago I thought I read about it in the newspaper. I think the ban is still in effect but they were going to rescind it.

David A. Goldfarb
12-22-2004, 11:53 AM
The ban has never been in effect. It was proposed, withdrawn from consideration, and now has been proposed again.

lee
12-22-2004, 11:58 AM
man, I just looked at the photos David shot of the protest and that is the scarriest group of malcontents I have seen in a long while. Nice job David. :)

lee\c

David A. Goldfarb
12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Lee. The one with the sign was sporting an A-1, and you KNOW she can do some damage with that thing.

rbarker
12-22-2004, 12:33 PM
David - nice job on the reportage photos. It's unfortunate that someone didn't show up with a 12x20 on a tripod with dolly wheels. I wonder how they'd feel about flash powder. ;)

Sean
12-22-2004, 01:15 PM
As someone who moved overseas before the American way of life changed, it's almost surreal to read about things like this going on back home. Where is the final line going to be drawn?

jd callow
12-22-2004, 01:35 PM
As someone who moved overseas before the American way of life changed, it's almost surreal to read about things like this going on back home. Where is the final line going to be drawn?

I honestly believe that the citizens of the USA are not prepared to defend their founding values or the 'American way of life' -- the way of life taught to school children: liberty, justice, equality, pursuit of happiness, etc -- but are all to willing to protect their fantasy of material entitlement. At some point I would hope that the realization will come that real freedom requires real risks and that freedom trumps risks every time. Until then more threats, or attacks will prove existing policy inadequate and sterner measures will be applied and when these prove ineffectual even sterner measures will be applied and when...

Alex Hawley
12-22-2004, 01:44 PM
The cops we encountered didn't seem too enthusiastic about enforcing the ban, if it is enacted. You can buy plenty of books even at Grand Central Terminal with detailed photographs of the construction of the subway system, plans and anything else an enterprising terrorist might want.

And never mind TV shows like Modern Marvels on the History Channel.

Nice shots David. Too bad you missed Life Magazine by about 30 years. Did you use the 4x5 Graphic?

This does seem highly absurd. YoSama YoMama must be getting a good chuckle out of it.

It finally dawned on me today why we haven't won the war yet. We haven't gotten the Cartoons involved. We need to enlist Popeye and Bugs Bunny and get them on the job. Well, it worked against Hitler and Tojo. Better get the Three Stooges going too.

Andy K
12-22-2004, 01:45 PM
I honestly believe that the citizens of the USA are not prepared to defend their founding values or the 'American way of life' -- the way of life taught to school children: liberty, justice, equality, pursuit of happiness, etc -- but are all to willing to protect their fantasy of material entitlement. At some point I would hope that the realization will come that real freedom requires real risks and that freedom trumps risks every time. Until then more threats, or attacks will prove existing policy inadequate and sterner measures will be applied and when these prove ineffectual even sterner measures will be applied and when...
That is not solely a US malady. We have the same disease on this side of the pond too. Compulsory 'Biometric' ID Cards for everyone in the UK, for the first time ever in 'peacetime' in our history, with a 1000 fine for refusal to carry one. And jumped up little Hitlers everywhere ready to object to photography on the loosest grounds of 'security'.