PDA

View Full Version : Where Are You Purchasing 120 & 4 x 5 film? Is across the border the answer?

Pages : [1] 2

HHAPHOTOS
09-27-2012, 02:33 PM
My supply is getting low & so I'm going to need to replace my stock of 120 & 4 x 5 film. I live outside of Waterloo so going to Toronto isn't as frequent anymore to catch the sales. I was really considering buying from B & H. The chain store in Waterloo, (I'm sure you all know) sells at list here. Any suggestions?​

CGW
09-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Film stocks in TO have thinned out dramatically. Limited selection and high prices. You can try FilmPlus but suspect you'll opt for B&H. Their shipping is reasonable and they'll tell you upfront what taxes and brokerage will be on your order. The higher C$ makes it less painful, too.

The PHSC Fall Fair is coming up next month(see thread in this section) where you can get expired film cheap. It's anyone's guess, though, what will be on offer. Rarely anything fresh for sale.

al.b
10-06-2012, 05:54 PM
call Rob at

bigcameraworkshops.com

He has lots of film and paper. also he is in Burlington.

al.b

Benoît99
10-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I buy 120 film and lot's of other stuff from B&H. Delivery is incredibly rapid to Québec City, and B&H takes care of customs and taxes. Their shipping rates are low. For most things, the final cost is usually lower than from Canadian sources, like Henry's.

canuhead
10-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Try to buy local when I can but honestly, my hard earned dollars usually go to B&H.

Mike Wilde
10-09-2012, 01:11 PM
In addition to B&H , I use Freestyle, and Ultrafine Online (Photo Warehouse). Ultrafine pushes free us shipping in thier pricing (or used to) , but will quote you the out of contry postage rate if you ask.

Siegi Niedermair
01-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Try Kindermann Canada in Markham. All Rollei Films and chemicals. Super service and repairs for Leica and Rollei.

dances_w_clouds
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Adorama is economical shipping to west coast Canada. Next day arrival in most cases

adelorenzo
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Hard to beat B&H for prices (and shipping) on anything but I've been buying chemicals, paper and some film from Beau Photo (http://www.beauphoto.com/). Their prices are reasonable enough that I'm happy to support them. They're probably not as convenient for Ontario though but they are the best I've found on this side of the border.

David Nardi
02-09-2013, 10:15 AM
I agree with most guys above. I buy all my film from 35mm to 8x10 with B&H. Their iPhone app is so good that it's a breeze to spend money. Problem is, every week I have to go back to work to make more money.

I recently discovered Beau Photo in Vancouver and will buy my Tetenal 5L C41 kits from them now. I buy my E6 chems from Foto Impex in Germany (It's cheaper. Can you believe it?). Thank goodness for the global economy.

As long as we support film and film related products of all flavours, I'm sure together we can weather this digital storm. I don't like when it rains pixels and SD cards.

adelorenzo
02-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Interesting read here on 'country pricing' in Canada, turns out that we (and our retailers) may be getting a bad deal on just about everything:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/02/07/marketplace-country-pricing.html

Old-N-Feeble
02-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Canada has film?

cowanw
02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
call Rob at

bigcameraworkshops.com

He has lots of film and paper. also he is in Burlington.

al.b

second this advice. come to the mar 2 get to gether and buy on the spot. order now to be sure.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99371-Gathering-at-the-studio-March-2-2013-Burlington-Ontario&p=988469#post988469

Uncle Bill
02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
I second B&H and I might check out the Big Camera Workshops get together in March.

Ari
02-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Another vote for B&H: simple straightforward quotes, good prices, good customer service and refund policies.

Ari
02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Canada has film?

The best film, because it stays frozen :)

Mike Wilde
02-25-2013, 09:38 AM

My freezer is in my garage. I think it only has to really run hard June - October.

Old-N-Feeble
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM

I live in south Texas, USA. My freezer runs ALL the time.:p

Toffle
02-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Call me a sucker (I do) but I bit the bullet to buy some film at Henry's and Downtown Camera in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. I try to by film in any city I visit. Really hurts the pocket book, but I figure that if retailers can move inventory they might keep buying it. (sticking my head back in the sand now)

BTW, another thumbs up for Rob at Big Camera. He keeps me stocked with Art 300.

Cheers,
Tom

dances_w_clouds
03-04-2013, 01:50 AM
Just found a fairly good selection and inexpensive shipping of photography supplies for Canada. The brands they supply are Ilford & Kentmere but what is there NOT to like about that. http://store.amplis.com/

Quick delivery times as well (Purolator)