PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange #27 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

MattKing
10-27-2012, 01:06 AM
There obviously isn't enough address left for it to have gotten here so it must have come off in the mailbox or on the way into the house. I actually looked for it but couldn't find the rest of the label.

I would like to hand-write all of mine as that seems more "post card-y" to me but 30 of them! I haven't decided yet... I surely won't hand write them all at once. :)

Mike

Mike:

More likely, the post office just knows that you are the guy in Elkhart Indiana who really likes postcards.

piu58
10-29-2012, 05:43 AM
In the meantime I got three more cards:
- Bridge of glass from anikin. One of the best card I received ever. I made color prints in my own lab in my younger years and know how complicated it is to get a real satisfactory result.
- TV tower east Berlin from Ozphoto. Real nice reflection, thank you.
- Sweet child of mine" form afrank. I like the playing with sharpness and unsharpness.

ozphoto
10-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Another card in the mail today: Anikin's Colours & Forms - superb colour print, that I could only dream of reproducing (because my colour printing skills are woeful!! ;))

drpsilver
10-30-2012, 01:55 AM
29 Oct 2012

My cards will get mailed tomorrow. Hope you like the image I selected for my cards.

I have received the following so far...

The actor depicted in the card from rst has got to be either "nuts" or a very skilled soccer player. Either way it is a great image.
I like the juxtaposition of old and new in the photo from piu58. The perspective that you used is quite effective in making Leibnitz look as large as the building.
The card form MattKing is really "cool". It took me a minute to see what I was looking at. Very well done
The color prints from ozphoto and anikin were welcome surprises. The disjointed reflection is a good illusion to the contrasts hat you saw in Berlin. The "Chiluly Bridge" reminds me of the "Chiluly Ceiling" from the exhibit at the de Young several years ago.
I really like the sense of curiosity conveyed by the photo form afrank.
The card from Pete Schrager "Parking $3 all day" is a really great deal in any large city. Grab it!
Three photos from Mike Wilde. All nice, but the time lapse photo is my favorite of the three.

All for now. I look forward to more in the coming weeks.

Regards,
Darwin

piu58
10-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I received three images form Mike Wilde.It ist always intersesting to see old papers. Like drpsilver, I especially like the time lapse photo and the story behind it.

JimO
10-30-2012, 11:21 AM
i feel like a real slacker... i've picked my image and have gotten no further!!!!

i have rec'd...

the "river elbe" from piu 58 - enjoying the view sitting on the shore, but want to get in the kayak and go 'round the bend!

"downtown parking lot" from peter schrager - a throwback!

"bridge of glass" from eugene anikin - a collage of color - and very nice wandering in.

"sweet child of mine" from afrank" - well captured, nice portrait, tells you something and raises a question!

from rudiger, a different view of "montmartre" - defintiely in keeping with the character of the place!

and from mike wilde always pushing himself technically and creatively "birds at blue water bridge", "after a dip..." , and "time lapse test - lomography". rumor has it, mike has never shot a normal picture - either unknown paper, developer, non-standard camera, strange process - always interesting and done well. (i think i just started the rumor...)

thanks all!!!! i appreciate all the creativity and hard work!

jvo

ChristopherCoy
10-30-2012, 06:27 PM
If you have mailed a card to me, and it isn't listed below, please PM me. Things have been hectic around here, and I have cards scattered around

So far I have received the following...

-Soccer Over Paris
-Legs
-River Elbe
-3 All Day
-Sweet Child of Mine
-TV Tower, Berlin
-Colors & Forms

I'm hoping to print and mail mine next Monday/Tuesday.

Kav
10-30-2012, 07:12 PM
So it seems that the the USA is slacking on sending out cards. Myself included... today I got in:

"Sweet Child of Mine"
what a wonderful shot. Simple and playful.

That postcard was followed up by a envelope filled would a trio of prints. Each one very different then the one before.

Last but not least I got most of postcard from Ozphoto. The card got eaten by a machine somewhere along the way. Still it's a wonderful photo of a tower. Now it just has some extra character.

BoxBrownie
10-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Received so far:
1 - TV Tower Berlin by Ozphoto.
Color photo with a sepia pallette. A disjointed reflection of the tower in a wall of windows. Effective, moody city scene.

2 - Old Leipzig University and Lebnitz statue by pin58.
The statue is looking back after being rudely relocated. Nice contrast of light tall building vs lower dark statue. Also nice slightly warmtone gloss print.

3 - Legs by MattKing.
Three very leggy spiders on (cabbage?) leaf. A very nice picture, sort of gothic/surrealist to me if there is such a thing. Decorative, Low key print that I might just put in a frame.

4 - Soccer over Paris by Rudiger.
Really great street and cityscape photo combined. So much to look at in this photo. Lovely tones too. I always wondered what Adox Fineprint Classic looked like and here it is.

5 - Colors and Forms from anikin.
Very colourful print taken on 120 iso400 film. Looks great. What a fantastic print. I can't see any grain at all. Makes me want to dash out and try something similar (I'm mostly 35mm b&w). Such a lovely pallette (there I used that word again).

What a great start to this round!

piu58
11-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Yesterday I received Steve Browne's "Floating leaf". very intersting shot, playing with light and darkness. Thank you.

ozphoto
11-03-2012, 12:35 AM
BoxBrownie's wonderful card arrived today - "Camden Bedroom". Love the paper and toning. Might see if I can get hold of some Fomabrom myself on my next visit home to ADL.

Kav
11-04-2012, 10:17 PM
I wanted to give everyone a heads up that odds are my postcards will be a little late. I have been sent to New Your City to assist with the relief effort. I have also been told to not expect to be back any time soon.

drpsilver
11-06-2012, 12:42 AM
05 Nov 2012

Received a card from BoxBrownie entitled "Floating Leaf". I really like the texture of the water and the contrast of the reflected sun. Very well done. Unfortunately the post office "did a number" on this card by creasing the corner and tearing on of the margins. Thanks for the nice image.

Regards,
Darwin

ChristopherCoy
11-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Mine are coming! I've been working all afternoon.

Jim17x
11-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the great cards! My cards will be in the mail tomorrow..

Received cards from..
rst
piu58
Peter Schrager
Mike Wilde
drpsilver
anikin
afrank

Mike Wilde
11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Round #27 Comments on prints that have piled up to date at my end:

Anakin – Bridge of Glass- random colors and shapes of glass from this artist created ceiling display. Wonderful in all manners.

Ozphoto Print from Agfachrome . A very neat disjointed view of a TV transmitting tower as reflected in a window comprised of many panes with varied reflection angles.

Matt King – Spiders showing off their legs – A nicely duo toned low key image with good texture rendering, and a nice placement of the spiders within the frame.

Piu58 – The Book- I quite like the way the embossed signature breaks up the looming black base in the statue plinth in the foreground. The otherwise featureless blackness of this plinth does pull my eye away from the rest of the image a bit too much, however. I do like the way you have arranged the balance of the elements within the image.

Peter Schrager – 3 all Day- A cool near abstraction at first glance, with the way all of the elements are placed within the frame. The second look shows all sorts of neat detail, and the astounding deal of $3 parking in LA, which if you have been there, really is quite a deal.

Rudiger rst– Paris street scene - A print with a deliberate low contrast mated well to the matt print surface. A tasteful classic arrangement within the frame; the lamp standard with the soccer ball manipulating performer in one direction, and the placement of the sky, background city view, and foreground in the other direction paying homage to the guideline of thirds.

The print is slightly lacking in contrast for my tastes. I would have sacrificed the detail in the white ball cap in the foreground and expanded the mid tone tonal range, or just developed the negative more at the time of film development if I knew all the images on the roll were shot in a low contrast light.

ozphoto
11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Received Darwin's "Happiness" card today - words to live by.

afrank
11-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Nice darkroom setup! Trying to peek the print!

ozphoto
11-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Mike Wilde's set of 3 cards arrived today, after their own little adventure: Canada-Taipei-Thailand; guess someone thought Thailand and Tapei were the very same country? :whistling:

Some lovely images on some really nice weight paper - the bridge is a favourite!

BoxBrownie
11-09-2012, 02:34 AM
I just received Mike's 3 prints too. It's always interesting to see all the different papers he uses. The bridge is also my favourite. Quite atmospheric with all the swooping birds.