PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange #27 Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

Jenni
11-24-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm glad you like it, I chuckled a little for the post mans sake. Wich did I send you? I cant remember I sent out 8 different pictures.
Jenni's card arrived in BKK today. An interesting portrait that has some lovely tones - (I'm sure the postman got a kick out of it too;)).

kraker
11-26-2012, 02:07 PM
So far, I had only commented on cards from piu58, rst and MattKing. But there's more! I've also received:

Mike Wilde's threesome, always a treat! My favourite is Birds at the Blue Water Bridge, a lovely action shot. When I get that close to birds, they all fly away before I can even get the camera ready. How did you do it? Anyway, three great shots, and always a pleasure to see what is still possible with old mystery paper.
anikin's Colors and Forms, now that is something. Sharpness, detail, and obviously lots of colours. Great to look at in these dark grey days near the end of the year. Happy.
ozphoto, Berlin. We also visited Berlin earlier this year, and I share your sentiments. A lovely photo, the Fernsehturm reflected in an office(?) building. Great colours.
Jim17x, Speedy. Well, that gives me an idea for the next 15 to 20 postcard exchanges :) Except that your Speedy makes for a very nice subject, whereas my camera collection is dull at best. Nice low-key shot and print.
ChristopherCoy, music in the street. Good example of street photography; not too easy with the dark background. I would like to see it printed with just a bit more "punch", a bit more blacks.
drpsilver, happiness is... Only too true, a nice still, and a clear message. Nicely printed.

That's it so far. And... my cards went in the mail yesterday. I received my own card today, which is proof that the mail service has emptied the mailbox and processed the mail. I hope my cards find their way around the globe.

ChristopherCoy
11-26-2012, 06:01 PM
ChristopherCoy, music in the street. Good example of street photography; not too easy with the dark background. I would like to see it printed with just a bit more "punch", a bit more blacks.

That's interesting. It's actually quite a contrasty photo as it was high noon when I shot this. I preferred the less contrasty look with a bit more detail in the background, but thanks for your opinion! I'll try to reprint this one with a little more blacks next time and see how I like it. This one was done with a number 1 filter I think, at 15 seconds.

ozphoto
11-26-2012, 08:38 PM
So far, I had only commented on cards from piu58, rst and MattKing. But there's more! I've also received:

ozphoto, Berlin. We also visited Berlin earlier this year, and I share your sentiments. A lovely photo, the Fernsehturm reflected in an office(?) building. Great colours.

At the time I shot it, it was an abandoned office block on the river that winds through the city (took a river cruise) - today it could be totally demolished or totally refurbished; I haven't yet had the opportunity to return and shoot even more rolls of film around the city, but hope to do so again soon.

piu58
11-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Yesterday I received oxleyroad's intersting old new windmill. Thank you!

Mike Wilde
11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Mike WildeMy favourite is Birds at the Blue Water Bridge, a lovely action shot. When I get that close to birds, they all fly away before I can even get the camera ready. How did you do it? .

135mm lens, and stand upwind. The wind was blowing pretty well that 42C hot day, 15-20km/hr. I was along a river bank, with a fair crowd of people stretched out along the shore line behind me.

The birds would wheel up as a mob, fly around a bit, and then come back to rest. So I just stood still and waited for them to come back to where they rested for 5-7 minutes , and caught some good frames as some of them were just taking off each cycle.

drpsilver
11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
28 Nov 2012

These cards have been on my desk for a week now. Thought I should comment on them while I have the time.

"Skin Tight" by mjs is a good commentary on where women's fashion have gone.
"Speedy" by Jim17x - the camera that made photojournalism great. I really like how the camera peeks-out of the shadows. Well done.
The card from ChristopherCoy does a good job at capturing the intensity of the musician. I like how you tilted the frame of reference to ad character to the photo.
"Beer Can Building" is a great description of the photo from jimo. It looks like something built in the 60's
"Old New Windmill" from Oxleyroad is a nice study of new and old (blades vs. tail of windmill).

I look forward to more cards in the coming weeks.

Regards,
Darwin

Jenni
11-28-2012, 07:07 PM
I recieved "Skin Tight" by mjs
and "Old New Windmill" from Oxleyroad

Thanks for the cards! Now I've got 10! I can't wait to see the rest. I hope everyone has gotten mine.

ozphoto
11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm glad you like it, I chuckled a little for the post mans sake. Wich did I send you? I cant remember I sent out 8 different pictures.

It was the corset image; they don't see too much of that style of thing if it isn't in a (very tame) men's magazine.:laugh:

Jenni
11-28-2012, 11:58 PM
It was the corset image; they don't see too much of that style of thing if it isn't in a (very tame) men's magazine.:laugh:
Oh yes, very tame!

Fozzle
11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Received "Skin Tight" by mjs a few days ago, very interesting, they're almost floating, thanks Mike :)

Mine have gone in the post, I didn't have any postcard paper but I've done my best to stiffen the paper so please let me know what you think.

- Foz

Jim17x
11-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Received cards from... ChristopherCoy, Mjs, Oxleyroad, Jenni & jimo.. Great cards.. Thanks! Thats 12 of 26 cards so far, cant wait for the rest!

piu58
11-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Three more cards:
Jacco: What's in a name
George Richards: Tree
Michael Sherck: Skin Tight

Thank you all!

ozphoto
11-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Christopher's "Music in the Street" arrived today - a nice addition to the collection!

ChristopherCoy
11-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Christopher's "Music in the Street" arrived today - a nice addition to the collection!

It's so weird to know that something I put in my mailbox in Texas, is now 9,243 miles away in Thailand!:D Glad it got there safely!

Mike Wilde
11-30-2012, 09:19 AM
The stack was getting too high for my conscience - so time for the next round of my comments on received images:

Box Brownie – Floating Leaf. Very slick. I thought I was looking at some astral event, until I realized it was a puddle being imaged. The leaf is most well placed, and textured in the print, to give the just right amount of realism in what otherwise could be all sorts of fantastic situations.

Christopher Coy-Music in the Street. I like the off kilter framing for this image. Changing the camera position to cut out the hand of the bongo drum player might strengthen the image, but I realize that shooting street scenes are a lot different that placing scenes in the studio. Holding back when printing the background might strengthen the print a bit, or printing it to a half a grade of greater contrast. Lith film manipulation could work as well.

DRPSilver – Happiness is … a way of life. I like the framing of this street scene. Nice use of tones from all white to all black. Nice and sharp, good use of a polarizer to squelch what would have otherwise been very distracting reflections.

George Nova Scotia- Staking you place - the tree. I like the way you show how all of the under storey of this tree crowds all other growth. A nice low key image, with load of information and texture in the darker areas still.

Jakko – What’s in a name? Nice just right width of borders, to set off this cute street scene. Nice and sharp. Up tilt of the camera Iand the resulting converging lines, and the odd name to give the whole image a touch of surreal.

Jim17X- Speedy- A very nice still life. Well framed, well lit, excellent use of blackness to define the foreground entities. I am pleased that you have kept the flash holder out of the Star Wars fan brigade and true to its original use. I have a Crown Graphic, and show a certain weakness in what you have done, wishing I could have executed a still life of my old gem as well as you have here.

JimO – Hillsborough River vista. A nice print. Good texture in the clouds, which the R25 filter evidently helps I can handle the lack of detail in the right hand side foliage this filter also affects, but dodging it to place the tone lighter on the right would help the image I think. I would have carefully framed the water line as level. If you took the care to put the filter on, why not get a bubble level out too?

Jenni – Annika. Quite a nice portrait; a pretty model almost always helps. Well lit. Nice range of tones in the print; just the right amount of featureless black on the shadow side of the face. Good composition and I like the ruffled hair art direction/styling on the model. I might have slightly burned the forehead to place it a slight bit darker, so the eyes would have been the first pull, not the forehead when you first look at the image.

Michael Sherek – Skin Tight. A neat image, with so much going on in it. I could feel my eyes flitting all over the image trying to make sense of the images of the tight pants and where and how they were being displayed. Printed to an appropriate contrast grade of paper to suit the modest contrast scene being imaged here.

Oxley Road –Old New Windmill. I am pleased that you want to capture old and restored over the new and shiny. I too prefer restoration by my own hands to new stuff, which I often find less well made. The print while nice is a wee bit flat in some ways. Perhaps the featureless scrub in the lower right is pulling the whole image down. If there is information in there, it might be worth trying to hold back some exposure there to add textural hints to that area.

ozphoto
11-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Another card this week! MJS's "Skin Tight" arrived today; reminds of the glory days of the early 80s - er, not quite my style (cause I'd *never* get away with wearing anything that tight. . . . )

ChristopherCoy
12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Who hasn't sent cards yet? I only received 13 so far, and I know I sent out more than that.

Jim17x
12-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I received 3 more cards.. Fozzle, George Nova Scotia & kraker,, Thanks!

George Nova Scotia
12-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Who hasn't sent cards yet? I only received 13 so far, and I know I sent out more than that.

It is December after all. I just got mine out last week, but I know there a lot to hear from. Should I make a naughty and nice list? After all it is an EXCHANGE.