PDA

View Full Version : Holga designer on the future of Holga

Pages : 1 [2] 3

eddie
10-10-2012, 05:07 PM
I have at least 6 Holgas, and 8 Dianas. They're so much fun to play with, and allow me to work looser. The reason I have so many is that (especially for the Dianas) there's such an inconsistency to them. Each one vignettes differently, the shutter works differently, and the f-stop works differently. They all have their own personality.

I've sold dozens of my Holga/Diana photos. I'm glad my buyers are more open to the images these cameras can produce than some of the people here.

cliveh
10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I have at least 6 Holgas, and 8 Dianas. They're so much fun to play with, and allow me to work looser.

I bet they do.

Alan W
10-10-2012, 05:15 PM
The holga has its own "feel".I got one about a month ago having laughed them off for years and was pleasantly surprised.It's good to let go of the finer technical details now and again and just shoot.It's liberating that way.

eddie
10-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I bet they do.

What's wrong with that?

cliveh
10-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Looks like an upscale version of the poor excuse of a camera I made out of Cardboard in my first year of photoschool.

Without having handled or used this camera you are in no position to comment.

eddie
10-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Frankly, Clive, I'm a bit surprised by your disparagement of Holga, and Holga users. Your work shows an interest in multiple image making techniques. Why do you dismiss tools which further that goal?

Alan W
10-10-2012, 05:48 PM
What happened to the love ?:pouty:

Bob Carnie
10-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I get it now , you sell these cameras. Your post confused me for a moment. The design and looks of your camera is certainly much better than what I made in school.

If you read my posts I like pinhole, and holga's and have used both...I also would consider one of your units, except the titan can accept my film holders which I like.

Without having handled or used this camera you are in no position to comment.

Richard Sintchak (rich815)
10-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Sorry, I did not want to appear rude. However, I can take a picture with an M2 and in the darkroom, or through Photoshop make it look like a Holga image, but believe you can't do the reverse. But then you may not want to, but at least I have the choice.

I hear you Clive. Somewhere in the archives of here, RFF or photo.net there's a reply from me from about 5-6 years ago on a similar thread saying almost exactly what you said here. And with a similar attitude. Then I got a hold of one and used it. When I throw my M2 or MP into my bag with my 50/2 Summicron DR attached I'm going out to shoot knowing what I've got and using that tool to get what it's best for. Otherwise I'd take one of my many other cameras. If I take out the Holga, and only the Holga, my mentality is different, my goals are different. It's almost like another media, or at least using a VERY different brush, and the results are different (not always better, but sometimes ) because of it. Changing negs in photoshop that I shot with my Leicas is making Leica to resemble Holga-like images. Going out with just a Holga and out to shoot "native" Holga images gets me very different results and is a change or a diversity in my photographic goals and mentality I enjoy very much.

cliveh
10-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Frankly, Clive, I'm a bit surprised by your disparagement of Holga, and Holga users. Your work shows an interest in multiple image making techniques. Why do you dismiss tools which further that goal?

Because they are no better than simple cameras produced in the late 50s and 60s. It's not new, just old simple imagery. Buy a Brownie 127, which will probably give you a slightly better quality.

eddie
10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Because they are no better than simple cameras produced in the late 50s and 60s. It's not new, just old simple imagery. Buy a Brownie 127, which will probably give you a slightly better quality.

Actually, they're probably worse, which is what makes them so good.

10-10-2012, 06:01 PM

LOL! Got one of THOSE too!

10-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Actually, they're probably worse, which is what makes them so good.

Especially if you reverse the elements!

Randy Smith is doing some cool restoration and pimping of the Brownie Hawkeyes here:

http://www.holgamods.com/hawkeye/Hawkeye/Cameras_Built.html

cliveh
10-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I hear you Clive. Somewhere in the archives of here, RFF or photo.net there's a reply from me from about 5-6 years ago on a similar thread saying almost exactly what you said here. And with a similar attitude. Then I got a hold of one and used it. When I throw my M2 or MP into my bag with my 50/2 Summicron DR attached I'm going out to shoot knowing what I've got and using that tool to get what it's best for. Otherwise I'd take one of my many other cameras. If I take out the Holga, and only the Holga, my mentality is different, my goals are different. It's almost like another media, or at least using a VERY different brush, and the results are different (not always better, but sometimes ) because of it. Changing negs in photoshop that I shot with my Leicas is making Leica to resemble Holga-like images. Going out with just a Holga and out to shoot "native" Holga images gets me very different results and is a change or a diversity in my photographic goals and mentality I enjoy very much.

And I hear you, but beg to differ. I will stick to my M2 and you may stick to your Holga. No way will you ever change my mind, as my M2 is part of me. End of conversation.

10-10-2012, 06:18 PM
And I hear you, but beg to differ. I will stick to my M2 and you may stick to your Holga. No way will you ever change my mind, as my M2 is part of me. End of conversation.

No, it's not. You made a mistake. I wasn't try to convince you of anything. Nor do I care to.

Newt_on_Swings
10-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Holgas are fun for what they are, just plain simple and akin to single use cameras you may have used as a kid. Not really worrying about settings as you cant do much about them. I've played with a few of them as well, but never wanted to have one myself. Now i would want the lomo lca though, which is an awesome toy camera I enjoyed, but then again these prices the last few years are just ridiculous for what they are. I'd rather invest that money into better lenses.

coigach
10-11-2012, 04:31 AM
Count me in with the Holga fans!

I got into a rut with my usual 6x7 and 6x17 b+w transparencies, and the pursuit of a certain type of technical excellence.

So I junked my rule book, picked up a couple of Holgas and and a Brownie Hawkeye, reversed the lens and had great fun with all 3. Helped free me from my self-imposed visual shackles, taught me a lot about how creativity works and can be challenged, and made me look at the world with different eyes.

Have printed some of the resulting pictures as polymer photogravures...

eddie
10-11-2012, 07:01 PM
When it comes to making worthwhile photographs, there's no difference between a Holga, a Leica, a pinhole, a Sinar, a Deardorff, a Rolleiflex, etc.
In the right hands, they're all capable of producing images that sing.

wblynch
10-11-2012, 07:50 PM
How does one make a living being a "Holga Designer"?

I think the design is the same as it has ever been. Not much work for the designer to do. Just lay about and get paid, I imagine.

Nice work if you can get it.

AgX
10-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Sorry Bill, but I don't get your point.

That guy designed the original Holga as well as different cameras and accessories of the same name. I did not imply that it was important construction/design work.
And seemingly he does not take himself that seriously.