PDA

View Full Version : Leica & Stylus Around the World: Round #9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

rst
05-13-2013, 03:03 AM
The little chicken is on its way to Jacco.

Cheers
Ruediger

Shawn Rahman
05-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Well... THAT hasn't happened.

10 miles (16 KM) separate the current user and I. He has my address and my phone number. My daughters live in the town he lives in.

This crap has to stop.

tim in san jose

Tim:

I'll send him another PM and then follow up with a phone call. I'm sure it is just life getting the way (as usual).

Regards,

Shawn

lxdude
05-13-2013, 09:41 AM
The little chicken is on its way to Jacco.

Cheers
Ruediger

Nothing to squawk about there!

Shawn Rahman
05-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Hey all,

Sorry about that. I just finished taking my shots this week. I'll be sending out the camera this weekend.

Simon,

Sending you a PM in a moment. Please let us know when we can expect you to hand the camera off to Tim. Please respond here or by return PM.

Thanks & regards,

Shawn

Shawn Rahman
05-14-2013, 09:20 PM
OK - PM has been sent to technowizard12. I'll give him a few days before picking up the phone to call him. I'm sure everything is fine, but I'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully, he'll post his reply here.

lxdude
05-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Maybe something happened to his chicken..

kraker
05-17-2013, 03:28 AM
All chickens aside, I thought I'd let you know that the Olympus has safely arrived in the Netherlands (more specifically: in my home). Some bad weather the coming days, and although that might give a nice photo opportunity, it could also mean that I hold on to the camera until we see some sun again.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated.

rst
05-17-2013, 04:25 AM
Yeah, good news. May the chicken be with you brother.

And isn't that fantastic, as soon as you send it, eventually it arrives. :cool: Well, that was not meant to put any pressure on the Leica-group :whistling:

Cheers
Ruediger

Shawn Rahman
05-17-2013, 07:30 AM
All chickens aside, I thought I'd let you know that the Olympus has safely arrived in the Netherlands (more specifically: in my home). Some bad weather the coming days, and although that might give a nice photo opportunity, it could also mean that I hold on to the camera until we see some sun again.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated.

Wonderful! Please take your time with the weather. We need good pictures, so it will be worth the wait.

I believe this is where we are right now:

Camera #1 - Leica Mini-Zoom
rcam Portchester, NY
walbergb Manitoba, Canada
the banana Manitoba, Canada
MattKing BC, Canada
John_NikonF Duvall, WA
edibot42 Half Moon Bay, CA
technowizard Los Gatos, CA (Camera is still here; we are waiting for an update, but I believe that technowizard is just waiting for the Olympus group to catch up :whistling:)
k_jupiter San Jose, CA
mooseontheloose Kumamoto-ken, Japan
flatulent1 Shoreline, WA
tron_ Shelby Township, MI
FilmSprocket Pinckney, MI
Newt on Swings Brooklyn, NY
Shawn Rahman Whitestone, NY

Camera #2 - Olympus Stylus Epic
Sile Ireland
Raphael Plougastel, France
rst Oestringen, Germany
kraker Breda, The Netherlands ← Just arrived here :)
nicholai Denmark
Steve Smith Isle of Wight, UK
M.A. Longmore Hartsdale, NY
jnanian Warwick, RI
Rick A Emporium, PA
Jim17x Worth, IL
zsas Crystal Lake, IL
ambaker Poplar Bluff, MO
toro_mike Englewood, CO
cdholden, Nashville, TN

Still hoping to wrap this up by the end of the year! One week is the target at each destination.

Finally, a reminder to all to not send out the camera to the next person unless you or we have confirmed that the next person is still available & still eager to participate.

Thanks & regards to all,

Shawn.

rst
05-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Ohh Sigh, we are THAT far behind ... anyway, I only count crossing countries border. So we are ahead :p

Cheers
Ruediger

rst
05-17-2013, 08:09 AM
... Still hoping to wrap this up by the end of the year! One week is the target at each destination.
To me that sounds very optimistic.

Cheers
Ruediger

lxdude
05-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Good to see Shawn is chicken on the cameras.

Raphael
05-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Ohh Sigh, we are THAT far behind ... anyway, I only count crossing countries border. So we are ahead :p

Cheers
Ruediger

Hi Ruediger, Hi all,

A funny thing would be publishing a speed indicator for each camera, in kilometer /day (km/h would be rather optimistic ;)), and in miles per day (or in Furlongs by Victorian Day, or wathever strange Imperial system unit you'd like..), both for the whole travel from start, and for the last current step.

So, if i am right, counting town-to-town with google maps, for now the Stylus traveled approx 6860 km (with the hypothesis that Shawn posted it from NYC), posted the 03/25/2013 (54 days ago), so overall speed is 127 km/day. The last stage (til the Mr Kraker's home) was traveled at 77 km/day.

Same thing for the Leica can't be made right now, without enough precise localization data. I.e if I consider the Manitoba to Manitoba step, it counts for 0 km, and I believe it's a little larger than that :p

Cheers,

Raphael

k_jupiter
05-17-2013, 06:07 PM
"strange Imperial system unit" is redundant.

tim in san jose

Raphael
05-18-2013, 05:27 PM
"strange Imperial system unit" is redundant.

tim in san jose

Ahah ! I was searching about a proper time unit, and just tumbled on this page , about the
Furlong/Firkin/Fortnight system :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFF_system

So, the Fortnight seems to be the ideal time unit, and so, a speed should be in furlongs/fortnight...

Raphael
05-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Even better about lenght unit, so I am back to the prefered topic in this thread : :w00t:

From : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement#Sheppey

"Sheppey

A measure of distance equal to about 7⁄8 of a mile (1.4 km), defined as the closest distance at which sheep remain picturesque. The Sheppey is the creation of Douglas Adams and John Lloyd, included in The Meaning of Liff, their dictionary of putative meanings for words that are actually just place names. It is named after the Isle of Sheppey in the UK."

lxdude
05-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Fred prefers to keep his sheep within .5 microsheppy at all times- in other words, grabbin' distance.

FotoFunfDreissig
05-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Oh my gosh, So is this still running. I mentioned an idea like this the other day, I didnt realise someone had already implemented it.

Can I please sign up? Pedro, Western Australia, Keen to be involved, dont care which camera.

Yay!!!

Shawn Rahman
05-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Oh my gosh, So is this still running. I mentioned an idea like this the other day, I didnt realise someone had already implemented it.

Can I please sign up? Pedro, Western Australia, Keen to be involved, dont care which camera.

Yay!!!

Pedro - welcome!

As you can see or probably guess, this is quite difficult to coordinate and manage effectively. Thus, we aim to go one round at a time. We currently have two cameras running for this round, but we are all booked.

But we will be pleased to include you in the next round. Also, just in case someone drops out (always a possibility), we will send you a PM to get you in on this round. Please stay tuned and feel free to comment at any time.

Regards,

Shawn

Shawn Rahman
05-21-2013, 10:41 AM
To me that sounds very optimistic.

Cheers
Ruediger

Someone has to be!