PDA

View Full Version : Leica & Stylus Around the World: Round #9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61

k_jupiter
07-30-2013, 03:13 AM
Well... I be off today on a 2000 mile road trip with daughter. 2 digital cameras, a digital movie camera, a Mamiya 645 (two lens), and the rb67 (3 lens). Decided not to bring the Deardorff, too much time in a hot truck for that wooden body camera.

Wish me luck.

tim in san jose

analoguey
07-30-2013, 03:19 AM
Well... I be off today on a 2000 mile road trip with daughter. 2 digital cameras, a digital movie camera, a Mamiya 645 (two lens), and the rb67 (3 lens). Decided not to bring the Deardorff, too much time in a hot truck for that wooden body camera.

Wish me luck.

tim in san jose

Wow. Have fun!

Let me know how you manage shooting with that many cameras ( I ask because I generally prefer traveling with less choices for the camera)

- via tapatalk.

Raphael
07-30-2013, 03:53 AM

Maybe you should use a cool box ?

Or, as you will not bring your Deardorff, and it will be left alone, can you send it us as camera 9-ter ? We will liberally provide sheets film.. :whistling:

Have a nice travel,

Raphael

http://www.jonathangazeley.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Ansel-Adams-on-Car-1.jpg

k_jupiter
07-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Wow. Have fun!

Let me know how you manage shooting with that many cameras ( I ask because I generally prefer traveling with less choices for the camera)

- via tapatalk.

One of the digitals and the movie camera are my daughters. The others.. this is a reduced camera load. Notice no 135? No 120 folders, no 127 TLR... I AM getting better.

tim

Shawn Rahman
07-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Wish me luck.

tim in san jose

Good luck, Tim! Sounds like a terriffic father/daughter bonding thing. I'm looking forward to doing one with my daughter someday, but right now I can't get her to sit still for 5 minutes, much less for 2.000 miles. Also she yells at me too much.

I did a cross country (L.A. to NYC) road trip a number of years ago, and of the thousand-plus digital shots and 12 rolls of 120 chrome, my single favorite shot was with a Mamiya 645: a wide-view shot of nothing but the road and blue sky on Provia.

Have fun!

mooseontheloose
08-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Just to update: the camera is back on the move again. Sorry for the slight delay everyone!

Some good news and bad news...

The good news is: I know where the camera is -- it's in my house.

The bad news is: I know where the camera is -- it's in my house.

Some Japan Post guy came to my door tonight (I was expecting my package from Amazon) and after a fairly convoluted discussion in Japanese (which I really don't understand), we were able to determine that JapanPost has figured out that there is some kind of "machine" in my package (a.k.a. "the camera") that has a battery in it, which is apparently very dangerous ("security very very"). So looks like I'll have to remove the battery in order to get it out of the country. I suppose I could just keep it in the box, outside of the camera, but I have a feeling I'd just get another knock on the door reminding me of the very very security risk I have on a package covered in Hello Kitty stamps.

So there'll be a slight delay (I'll get it out tomorrow or this weekend), and I guess I can be pretty confident that the x-rays they used to scan the package will have erased the beautiful, but rare, three-horned Japanese unicorn (smaller than the regular kind, of course) that I managed to capture in the bamboo grove at my university.

flatulent1
08-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Delay? What delay? You haven't even had it a month yet. Jeez, you're setting a bad precedent!

k_jupiter
08-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Another update...

The trip to the canyon was great. Hauling the 645 around my neck or in a backpack going up and down trails is a PITB but worth it. Amazingly, not many if any other film cameras showed up on the trails. Perhaps some of those 35mm cameras but I think most of those were high end digitals. And the only people who even recognized what I was carrying were from Asia. They were impressed I was hanging a 645 1000 around my neck, with a 45mm lens, yellow or red filter...

But now... she want to come back and do the rim to rim. And by gawd, if she wants to do it, we will do it. Dad needs to get in shape in the next year... Now to figure out what camera to take to the bottom of the canyon. Lots of time to decide.

Home tomorrow. Hope the truck makes it, the transmission is getting a bit persnickity going into gear at stop lights. Could be too much continuous 75 to 80 mph running. Could be numerous down shift, up shift combos going through the mountains.

Wish me luck again or I might be doing a photo series on sitting by the side of interstate 5 in the San Jaquine valley.

I would recommend the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to anyone. Peace and relaxation. And bitches of trail hikes if you are so inclined.

tim in Las Vegas NV.

Rick A
08-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Sounds like you and the kid had a super time. My teenage daughter and I go on many a lark together, she's into back packing and camping, not to mention hunting and fishing.
Also, sounds like the tranny needs flushed and a new filter installed.

k_jupiter
08-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Also, sounds like the tranny needs flushed and a new filter installed.

Manual transmission. Sounds like the syncros are going. Should be OK once I'm in fifth.

Thanks for the thoughts.

tim

Rick A
08-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Manual transmission. Sounds like the syncros are going. Should be OK once I'm in fifth.

Thanks for the thoughts.

tim

Have you checked the fluid level? I had that problem with my CJ7 years ago, turns out it was low on oil(30w not gear lube!) I replaced all my trans and dif. fluids with Royal Purple on my last Wrangler, best decision I ever made.

lxdude
08-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Have you checked the fluid level? I had that problem with my CJ7 years ago, turns out it was low on oil(30w not gear lube!) I replaced all my trans and dif. fluids with Royal Purple on my last Wrangler, best decision I ever made.

Yes. Check that first. Beats knowing for sure it needs a rebuild because you didn't.

John_Nikon_F
08-07-2013, 07:10 PM
When you get home, put some Redline MTL in there and adjust your clutch. The Redline MTL will make the transmission shift a lot better, even if it has synchro issues. I've put it into Volvo transmissions that have over 200,000 miles and have been amazed at how smoothly the shifting action is once I do that. One transmission went from feeling like I was moving a stick through cement to feeling like I was using a hot knife to cut through butter. Anyway, been dealing with the same thing with my father's Volvo wagon, which I'm driving while mine is down for a head swap. Adjustment nut for the clutch cable seems to be a bit stripped, so it can engage at the top and sometimes at the bottom of the pedal travel.

The other thing you can do, if it gets to the point where it won't engage 1st when running, is to shut the truck off, engage 1st, then start it in gear. If it also becomes hard to upshift while driving, let off the gas, pull the shifter out of gear, then hold the shifter against the next gear's position. When the engine drops low enough in rpm, it'll pop right into gear. Essentially, drive it like a big rig, just without accelerating so slowly up to speed. This also works if you happen to injure your left leg/foot and can't comfortably operate the clutch. A couple months ago, my left knee was being very tempermental (I have gout). Was fun to try to get in and out of the car. I essentially only used the clutch to get going or to engage reverse.

Another tip, if you find that a manual transmission vehicle is hard to get into reverse, engage 1st, roll forward a few inches, then try again. Should avoid crunching into reverse by doing that.

Anyway, back onto the topic at hand. Good to see that the cameras are on their way again.

-J

Rick A
08-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Then too, you could stuff the gear box full of chicken fat...

flatulent1
08-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Then too, you could stuff the gear box full of chicken fat...

Oh boy, that can be taken more ways than one... :whistling:

k_jupiter
08-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I put MTL in it a year or so ago. That's what is confusing. I only hope the rear seal or something isn't gone. Of course, being the Renaissance man that I am, I could just pull the tranny and rebuild it. But what a PITB.

Made it home. Just sticky going into 1st and second.

Pictures when I have them developed.

tim in san jose

John_Nikon_F
08-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Tim,

Cable clutch or hydraulic? That does sound like a clutch adjustment issue.

-J

k_jupiter
08-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Tim,

Cable clutch or hydraulic? That does sound like a clutch adjustment issue.

-J

Hydraulic.

Might be but doesn't feel like it. I'll check it out tomorrow. Gots to do the engine oil anyway.

tim (the mechanic) in san jose

flatulent1
08-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Mmm, I love getting Leicas in the mail...

Shawn Rahman
08-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Mmm, I love getting Leicas in the mail...

Sweeeeeeet!! :):):):):)

PM sent to Nicholai to remind him that we are all still playing this silly game of ours.