PDA

View Full Version : Leica & Stylus Around the World: Round #9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

lxdude
10-18-2013, 07:43 PM
I JUST cannot believe you would put your PhD dissertation issues ahead of "We all shoot one camera". Better vetting next time guys.

So where is the other camera? Greenland?

tim in san jose

Yeah! Where are the priorities?!?

Newt_on_Swings
10-18-2013, 08:42 PM
The Brooklyn Bridge? Never get enough of looking at it, and I have a view of it all day out of my office window.

On that note, depending on what the shutter count is, perhaps you and Marc can take 3 shots each. Don't want to seem unfair to the others, but it seems foolish to waste frames or film. Between the last three of us, we should finish the film.

Also, Steve - if you want to save on the packaging and mailing, I can meet you in Brooklyn or Manhattan for the Leica's final hand-off.

Regards,

Shawn

Yea Shawn Im totally down, put that mailing money to good use (beers!). Brooklyn or Manhattan works well for me too. I work in the east village and dont get out til late like 8:30ish but I am free on Tuesdays and Fridays most anytime.

k_jupiter
10-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Yea Shawn Im totally down, put that mailing money to good use (beers!). Brooklyn or Manhattan works well for me too. I work in the east village and dont get out til late like 8:30ish but I am free on Tuesdays and Fridays most anytime.

Have you thought about photos of space aliens in the east village? MIB IV

tim in san jose

Newt_on_Swings
10-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Have you thought about photos of space aliens in the east village? MIB IV

tim in san jose

Come Halloween I can guarantee a few alien sightings at the village parade!

Also, along the lines of getting aliens on film, does anyone remember the episode of married with children, where Al meets these little aliens who need fuel for their ship? Where they let him take pics to sell in exchange for the fuel.

Rick A
10-24-2013, 05:27 PM
I just sacrificed some coconut chicken in hopes of getting the Oly moving again.

flatulent1
10-24-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking the only way we're going to get that camera moving again is with a strong laxative. I have several in the medicine chest, if anyone is interested....

k_jupiter
10-25-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm thinking the only way we're going to get that camera moving again is with a strong laxative. I have several in the medicine chest, if anyone is interested....

Who's going to deliver it?

flatulent1
10-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Not me. I don't have rubber gloves that long.

Marc Akemann
10-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Shots taken. The Leica will hit the road again tomorrow. Shawn, the film counter is now at 24.

-Marc

toro_mike
10-28-2013, 10:12 AM
On the Stylus: After hearing from Nicholai about two weeks ago, more radio-silence.

In the spirit of democracy, let's put it to a vote: we can wait for the Stylus, or we can send out another camera (it is ready to go right now). What do y'all reckon?

Wow, the Leica is flying! Now, what to do about the Stylus... Shawn has suggested replacing it, which would be sad and should only happen as a last resort. It seems that Nicholai really like this camera and doesn't want to part with it, or it's lost in his basement. So, perhaps the pitchforks and torches need to be lit? I think chickens have passed their time of usefulness... maybe tar and feathers? Any suggestions???

k_jupiter
10-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Where does he live? Road trip!

Marc Akemann
10-28-2013, 09:39 PM
9405903699300102641979. That is the USPS tracking number for the Leica on it's way to Newt_on_Swings in NY. We're almost to the end!

I don't know if this suggestion has come up in the past but, for a future traveling camera, I was thinking about passing around a Nikon FM (or similar) body (no lens) where the participants use their own (or borrowed) Nikon mount lens for their shot(s). We would have to be real careful about who can be on the list, though. No newbies, I'm afraid...unless, a traveling camera veteran can vouch for a newbie applicant. The camera could also be a Canon, Minolta, Olympus or Pentax, too. That would be voted on. Just a thought. I have a fully working, slightly beat-up, FM I would be willing to sacrifice.

-Marc

lxdude
10-28-2013, 10:42 PM
I have a fully working, slightly beat-up, FM I would be willing to sacrifice.

-Marc

Hopefully not sacrifice!

John_Nikon_F
10-29-2013, 06:15 AM
9405903699300102641979. That is the USPS tracking number for the Leica on it's way to Newt_on_Swings in NY. We're almost to the end!

I don't know if this suggestion has come up in the past but, for a future traveling camera, I was thinking about passing around a Nikon FM (or similar) body (no lens) where the participants use their own (or borrowed) Nikon mount lens for their shot(s). We would have to be real careful about who can be on the list, though. No newbies, I'm afraid...unless, a traveling camera veteran can vouch for a newbie applicant. The camera could also be a Canon, Minolta, Olympus or Pentax, too. That would be voted on. Just a thought. I have a fully working, slightly beat-up, FM I would be willing to sacrifice.

-Marc

Did that on the Nikonians site. Had a "World Rotational Beatermat" camera, where people used a Nikkormat FTn with their lenses and film. First camera went MIA somewhere in transit. Second camera, which I purchased myself to replace the first one, was stolen by the first person to get it. At that point, I realized that it wasn't something that was going to work. This was prior to KEH doing their Nikkormat grab boxes on eBay, so it wasn't like I had a few cameras to push through as replacements.

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but I think we're better off sticking with the P&S cameras. If one disappears, it means that the film disappears, but, unlike an SLR body, the camera replacement won't cost much.

-J

Marc Akemann
10-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Did that on the Nikonians site. Had a "World Rotational Beatermat" camera, where people used a Nikkormat FTn with their lenses and film. First camera went MIA somewhere in transit. Second camera, which I purchased myself to replace the first one, was stolen by the first person to get it. At that point, I realized that it wasn't something that was going to work. This was prior to KEH doing their Nikkormat grab boxes on eBay, so it wasn't like I had a few cameras to push through as replacements.

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but I think we're better off sticking with the P&S cameras. If one disappears, it means that the film disappears, but, unlike an SLR body, the camera replacement won't cost much.

-J

Well, perhaps you're right, John. I thought with our group there are enough trustworthy veterans to do this by invitation only, perhaps. With just 12 participants we could do 3 images each. Triptychs from around the world! On the other hand, the package would weigh about 1 lb. 12 oz. and cost almost $10 within the U.S. Shipping internationally might make idea prohibitive. Okay, never mind. : )

-Marc

flatulent1
10-29-2013, 11:02 AM
I like the idea. Limit the list to those 'someone' deems trustworthy. We could pass two or three cameras around simultaneously. I recommend some low-end unremarkable cameras, like a Nikon EM, Canon AE-1 (I have one I'm not using), Pentax LX... Alternatively a loaded medium format camera back could be used, especially if we scare up some 220 film. (I have several spare M645 backs and 220 inserts available.)

Participant list would be fairly short, shipping cost advertised up front. Everyone sends the leader a $1000 deposit for participation, and away we go. I'll be the first leader!

k_jupiter
10-29-2013, 11:19 AM
I'll be the first leader!

I don't pull rank here very often but...

Raphael
10-30-2013, 08:36 AM
On the Stylus: After hearing from Nicholai about two weeks ago, more radio-silence.

In the spirit of democracy, let's put it to a vote: we can wait for the Stylus, or we can send out another camera (it is ready to go right now). What do y'all reckon?

Aint' no fun :(

ambaker
10-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Willing to go with the majority on the Oly. Winter will be here shortly, and in these parts we don't get the really good snow scenes very often. So I can wait... But it would be nice to see something moving. :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Newt_on_Swings
10-30-2013, 11:38 PM
The Leica arrived safe and sound! Just in time for Halloween! I think its on 26 shots, how many should I take like 3-4?

Also I kinda dig the provide your own lens SLR deal, I can also offer up an olympus OM40/PC, which i used to shoot in great shape if theres enough interest with everyone to go OM lenses.