PDA

View Full Version : Hocking Hills 10-21-12

jpreston
10-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Anyone interested in heading to the Hocking Hills this Sunday? I'm planning on going to Conkle's Hollow and maybe Cedar Falls.

Jeff

BradS
10-16-2012, 11:12 AM
south of Columbus, Ohio?

jpreston
10-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Yes, South-East about 45 minutes.

daleeman
10-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Hi Jeff,
Good Call. Hocking Hills is a wonderful place this time of year. I wish I could go, my grandson's birthday party is on Sunday, he will be 2.

If you go as far as Cedar Falls, do go to Rock House! I do not know if you have ever been there or not but besides the colors of the trees, Rock house is a wonderful cave / rock house.

Also Rock Bridge is a wonderful area. A long walk up two long hills, but if you want waterfalls, a 90+ foot natural rock span and colorful fall leaves you will want to schelp the equipment up the trail. (take water) Rock Bridge is off Rt 33 just before you get to Logan heading in from the west. Info here: http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/1692/Default.aspx

Always bring your wide angle lenses, besides your normal or tele ones. Else you will get to the Rock Bridge or Rock House and it will hit you like a rock. ( A Pun? :whistling:)

Have not set a date for the Frozen Film shoot in 2013 yet at Hocking Hills. But hope to do so soon, so maybe we can go shooting yet down there.

Lee

jpreston
10-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info, Lee! I've never been to the Rock House or Rock Bridge so I'll put them on the list.

Hopefully I can make the Frozen Film shoot this year. My work schedule has been pretty crazy this year so who knows?

Jeff

daleeman
10-22-2012, 05:24 AM
Jeff,
How did the trip to HH go?

jpreston
10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Not bad. We only made it to Conkle's Hollow. Didn't haul the RBeast out, just the 1DsMkII so I can't post the photos. I'll need to go back now that I have feel for where I need to be and when I need to be there to get the shots I really want. That rim trail is quite a hike for a fat midget like me!

daleeman
10-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Its great down there. I started going when I was 17, now all the trails kick my butt. Maybe why I love it in the winter, one has to walk real careful and slow in ice and snow conditions.

One or mabe two excursions a day at most in tough conditions, and never alone. My kind of old man speed.

jpreston
10-23-2012, 03:30 AM
I can't imagine the rim trail with snow and ice!

daleeman
10-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Your right, there are limits and one can only get away with being stupid here and there.
Glad you got to go.

djkloss
10-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Sorry just too far. Thanks anyway. Dorothy

bobwysiwyg
05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but having seen references to Hocking Hills many times here I finally got there albeit by accident. My kids live in Reynoldsburg. We went down for a weekend visit which was to include my grandson's baseball game. It was cancelled so on a spur of the moment we headed to Hocking Hills. What a gem! Only had my Nikon but definately plan going back with the view camera.