PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me identify and value this camera?

Ghostman
11-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Hi everyone,

I might be able to get my hands on this old camera. I am interested in a foray into wet plate photography. Can anyone tell me what it might be worth or what the maximum you would pay for it based on the condition it is in (in the pictures). It is not being used and is purely ornamental. It might still be for sale and I would like to make an offer.

Many thanks.

59431 59432 59433 59434

Ian Grant
11-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Well it's a British half plate camera, with a Thornton Pickard shutter and lens. To give you an idea I can get a similar camera for about 60 (75 euros) without a shutter/lens and a shutter for 15 (19 euros), lens 30 (38 euros) so around 105 (130 euros). Having said that complete cameras usually fetch more especially with a case and plate holders.

Lionel Hughes has a good idea of prices and sells similar cameras on his website. (http://www.glowbox.demon.co.uk/LIST3.HTM) The Houghton Triple Victo he's selling is 180 / 224 euros and that should be your maximum price, you might try offering 120 -150 euros.

You'd probably need to make a different back to take wet plate holders but that shouldn't be too difficult. I've assumed from the proportions and size of shutter that it's a half plate camera - you'd need to double check, half plate is 4 6 inches approx 11x16.5cm.

Ian

Ghostman
11-08-2012, 02:31 AM
Ian, thank you very much for the very helpful information. Also, thank you for the link to Lionel Hughes' site :-)