PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a polaroid camera for off camera flash

adelorenzo
11-10-2012, 07:44 PM
I've been doing a lot of research on polaroids but there are so many different models out there that my head is starting to spin. I'm hoping that APUG can help me narrow it down a little bit. Here are my criteria:

1. Uses available film (Fuji or Impossible)
2. Can use off camera flash via a hot shoe or sync cable
3. Ideally, some way of focusing the camera

Any suggestions?

ic-racer
11-10-2012, 09:52 PM
The workhorse 250 Polaroid takes a synch cable. There are a number of option for xenon flash use. One is the just lift your finger from the shutter button after the exposure and the shutter closes, defeating the auto exposure system. You could also take the batteries out or insert a blade in the slot by the synch cable.

Kc2edh
11-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Also on that note, I'm pretty sure the Polaroid 360 is X-synched. It has some sort of proprietary flash attachment for a rechargable flash that was sold with the camera, but I'm sure if you look for a schematic it's possible to wire a pc cable to any flash you like. I shoot with the 360 and it's a great camera, but haven't tried to add a flash or anything yet.

AgX
11-10-2012, 11:00 PM
SX-70

-) U can use the dedicated electronic handle-flashlight. By modifying the cable for greater length you would get more freedom.

-) Via an adapter (linear socket/PC) you can use a non-dedicated flashlight of any kind. If this has the same guide number as the bar-flash there will be no problem. Otherwise set the flash output accordingly or look up the apertures the camera will chose according to the focal distance and chose the flash AE-setting respectively.

xya
11-11-2012, 09:18 AM
250, 350, 450. the latter has a different flash handling. for further information see here: http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/how2-packflash.htm and read the conclusions.

for professional use: mamiya universal or polaroid 600se. both are workhorses.

adelorenzo
11-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. This has been really helpful especially the link xya posted, somehow I hadn't come across that. It sounds like the 250 will be a good option, fortunately they're easy to find on eBay and no super expensive.

A mamyia or 600se would be awesome but big $$$.

PolaGraph.com
11-14-2012, 04:08 AM
May also want to consider Land 360 with flash 365, or Land 450. Thx