PDA

View Full Version : Light Farm silver gelatin web tutorials

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Polder
02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi Agx

Thanks
I ll contact him monday and report back.

Cheers
Henk

Jerevan
02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
BTW, the Kodak adresses I have on my fixer bottle shows Switzerland, England and Poland as contact points. The fixer itself is made in Germany though. :)

Photo Engineer
02-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Kodak, however, does not sell any emulsion making chemicals or equipment to anyone under any circumstances.

PE

Jerevan
02-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Kodak, however, does not sell any emulsion making chemicals or equipment to anyone under any circumstances.

PE

Good point there. :)

anikin
02-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Thank you Denise for the tutorial! My first hand coated sheet is now in the wash. I messed up with the directions a bit (forgot to add Everclear), but I still got an image. Yay!!!! I'm hooked now.

Eugene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Polder
02-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Thank you Denise for the tutorial! My first hand coated sheet is now in the wash. I messed up with the directions a bit (forgot to add Everclear), but I still got an image. Yay!!!! I'm hooked now.

Eugene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Eugene,

Nice picture, better than mine. Congrats. About the addiction: I think itīs a worldwide thing, I am hooked on this emulsion making here in Europe too.

Henk

JMB
03-03-2013, 08:45 AM
You all may be interested in the fact that Mirko, of Fotoimpex fame, has been in contact with many of the former Agfa people and has the ability to get most all photochemicals for emulsion making. That is whey I suggested contacting Fotoimpex. He may be willing to supply these and I am sure that he can get his hands on them very easily.

PE

My response was a fair reply to the foregoing post, and it was accurate. A moderator seems to claim that he contacted Fotoimpex to confirm, apparently, whether Fotoimpex ultimately ignored a large order for paper from a company that it represents. It appears that since Fotoimpex denied any problem on its part that the moderator decided to delete my comment. This sort of censorship is unfair to posters and to readers. After two or three emails (which included responses from Fotoimpex and unfulfilled promises to provide quotes for my order, a visit to the Berlin store, and one telephone call, I simply dropped all further efforts to fill the order with Fotoimpex and filled it with Bergger instead. Hence, my post was intended as a casual response to the suggestion that Fotomipex might be thought of as a creative source for difficult to find raw chemicals. It was a fair response and not in the least aimed at pursuing any thing at all further with Fotimpex concerning my order, as the moderator apparently advises.

And in fact, I would indeed be pleasantly surprised if a photographer would have much luck getting Fotoimpex's cooperation in purchasing a very wide range of raw chemicals for emulsion making. Apparently, its possible to secure a supply of gelatin from the store, but I would be delighted to hear if anyone has any success getting Fotoimpex's cooperation in obtaining an adequate range of raw chemicals. There are much better sources for chemicals in Germany as several posters have already revealed.

dwross
03-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Hi All,

A heads-up for anyone interested in learning dry plate photography. I'll be starting in on a basic recipe this week. Since the Light Farm online workshops are designed to be a progressive learning experience -- gradually building to more complex recipes and techniques -- the dry plate tutorial will assume the skills learned in the Gaslight Paper tutorial. If you were planning to jump with dry plate, you will want to familiarize yourself with the paper lessons.

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/TLFTutorials/tlftutorials-handmade-silver-gelatin-emulsions.htm

If you haven't started making paper yet, but are thinking about it, you will greatly enjoy the series of articles that "Polder" has written about his experiences. Articles 6 - 12, here: http://thelightfarm.com/Map/Index/IndexPart1.htm.

Henk's experiences put to rest any concerns that it's impossible to make emulsions in the EU.

And very exciting news: technology has come to our rescue! There is now a marvelous new material for coating film -- available from just about any company that sells arts supplies to the public. Grafix has released a replacement for their acetate wet media film. They have subbed Dura-lar (a material they call "the acetate alternative") to accept wet media. I've been putting it through its paces and it's brilliant. Perhaps better than either 3M or Dupont hydrophilic film.

This opens up the whole field of d.i.y. photography. Plate holders are expensive and increasingly hard to find. Glass is heavy. Now, those limitations are eliminated. I'll have more information on TLF.

Best of days to all,
d

Kirk Keyes
03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
That's exciting news, Denise.

wildbillbugman
03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi Denise,
Am I reading you right? Is this new material "stiff" enough to be used like large format film in view cameras.
Kirk,
I tawt ya was dead! Glad to know I was wrong!
Bill

dwross
03-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi Bill,

The Grafix film is 4 mil thick. That's a tiny bit thicker than roll film and thinner than the usual sheet film. I've used it for 4x5 and it works fine. The only "trick" is to be sure to cut it to the right size so that all four edges are captured by the film holder.

d

Polder
03-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Hello to you all, Does anyone of you have more access to Information about the availability of Dura-Lar for wet media on Continental Europe?. In the UK itīs ok I think but there seem to be no way but to order it in the US. Does anyone have a clue. Grafix itself does not answer e-mails. Thanks a lot. Henk