PDA

View Full Version : Light Farm silver gelatin web tutorials

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

dwross
12-06-2012, 08:05 AM
I am very happy to announce the launch of the Light Farm silver gelatin tutorials. Over the course of 2013, if everything goes according to plan (fingers crossed!), I, and a few others, will teach participants the abc's of emulsion making and -- just as important -- the xyz's of what to do with the materials once you've made them.

http://thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/htmltutgen.py?content=02Dec2012

I hope some of the people who have participated in this forum over the years will decide to jump in and learn a Craft that almost literally has no creative boundaries.

Happy Holidays to All,
d

MDR
12-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Thank you Denise for this superb idea. :cool:

Dominik

dwross
12-06-2012, 09:42 AM
And thank you for the 'cool' sign! Hope you join in.
d

horacekenneth
12-06-2012, 09:46 AM
this is very exciting. is there a participation fee? or a sign-up place?

gandolfi
12-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I have been looking at the Lightfarm many times and I like what I see!

Only one problem though: when reading about procedures ex to clean a glass plate for emulsion, all American (?) brand names are mentioned - stuff I have NO idea what is... so I get confused.. (I don't even know what Everclear is - a name mentioned many times on the net...)

kb3lms
12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Really nice, Denise. Great article by Wendy, too.

-- Jason

MDR
12-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I have been looking at the Lightfarm many times and I like what I see!

Only one problem though: when reading about procedures ex to clean a glass plate for emulsion, all American (?) brand names are mentioned - stuff I have NO idea what is... so I get confused.. (I don't even know what Everclear is - a name mentioned many times on the net...)

Emil
Everclear = 95% Alcohol for us Europeans, but I agree with you the American names and Brands can be very confusing.

kb3lms
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM
... the American names and Brands can be very confusing...

Likewise for all of us Americans, too! Most of us have no idea what products you have. I've been to England a number of times so I do understand that even many common items have very different names and the brands don't translate at all.

However, I'd say post or PM someone here if you need a translation. I'm sure someone will be willing to help out. Maybe we can create a translation table of sorts.

-- Jason

dwross
12-06-2012, 10:59 AM
this is very exciting. is there a participation fee? or a sign-up place?

Hi!

Absolutely free. No sign-up.

The big reason I've got my fingers crossed, though, relates to the issue that Emil and Dominik address -- the challenges of making silver gelatin emulsions a craft that translates worldwide. I have high hopes that the people who are following along, learning emulsion making, will constructively contribute to the process. I will ask that people write a bit about their experience -- both the successes and the total fails. Hopefully, post images. Offer advice on local retail outlets. If we can make a cooperative venture of the feedback, I think this will succeed beyond even my unfailing optimism and create a web learning experience that is equal to a physical workshop.

So, if there is a 'cost', the coin is your time and willingness to share :).

dwross
12-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Great idea, Jason. In my ideal world, though, there wouldn't be PM's regarding these tutorials. Open source, all the way.

anikin
12-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Great idea, Jason. In my ideal world, though, there wouldn't be PM's regarding these tutorials. Open source, all the way.

Excellent idea. This forum appears to be a good place to discuss the progress. I've gone through the list of required items, and Everclear aka 95% ethanol might be a difficult item for some. It is illegal in some states in US, and I bet some countries as well. Should we be starting a discussion on proper construction of distillation apparatus :D ?

I know, in my inventory of chemicals I don't have alcohol and KCl just yet.

Eugene.

Kirk Keyes
12-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Everclear is a brand name for 190 Proof alcohol made from corn. Generically, it it a neutral grain spirit. Most any neutral grain spirit of high alcohol content like 180-190 Proof will work. Don't use flavored spirits.
You should be able to find unflavored vodka for use as a more expensive substitute.

Kirk Keyes
12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Remember that you should, with a little web surfing, find the ingredient list for the products that Denise references and compare that information to what is available in your local region.
Google, and MSDS sheets, are your friend.

kb3lms
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Open source all the way! The only reason I said PM was in case someone was uncomforatble asking for whatever reason. Surely, though, we would find a vehicle to publish.

any neutral grain spirit of high alcohol content like 180-190 Proof will work

And therein will lie an issue for some. Nothing more than 150 proof is available here any longer. It sure was when I was in college :-) but you can't get it now. The closest thing I could find to straight ethanol was 100 proof (50%) Nikolai vodka, which fotunately was not all that pricey. You can treat it as "half-strength" ethanol and remember to adjust for the water content. In my case I found that a neighboring state, Maryland, sells the real thing. So when we go down there for away games a bottle or two comes along home.

Also, don't be afraid to hunt on eBay for chemicals. You need to watch (buyer beware!) what you are buying but there is an amazing array of things available. I've gotten stung once (and I don't think it was intentional on the seller's part) but otherwise have had very good experiences. Artcraft also sells through eBay and sometimes their prices there are better than from the website or different quantities offered - for example 50g of AgNO3 instead of 100.

TheFlyingCamera
12-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Another good source of chemistry for alt process stuff like this is chemsavers - www.chemsavers.com - not necessarily the cheapest place out there, but they do stock almost anything you'd want, and they'll ship it by the appropriate means. That's where I got my ether when I needed some for wet plate.

gandolfi
12-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Remember that you should, with a little web surfing, find the ingredient list for the products that Denise references and compare that information to what is available in your local region.
Google, and MSDS sheets, are your friend.

well - I might just be the worst in using these tools - not much help there....

And adding the name "proof" isn't helping either as we don't use that at all..

When I made my book about bromoil printing, I got two people to proof read the text - one American and one English...

I realized - to avoid confusion - I sometimes had to use two different words to describe an item...

In the book "Silver Gelatin" about the liquid emulsion, there's a great appendix - pages that describes the difference between European and English/American mesurements - pages that precisely describe different chemistry with formula to go with them. So nice.

kbrede
12-06-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure I'll have my darkroom ready in time for this, but it sounds very interesting. You mention contact prints. Is what you're doing better suited for large format negatives? ATM the largest I can go is 6x7. Can an enlarger be used for what you've got planed?

dwross
12-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Kenton,

Yes, indeed. I'm enlarging 120 negatives right now :). The recipe will come a couple of months into the workshop series.
Best of luck and speed pulling together your work space!
d

jnanian
12-06-2012, 07:20 PM
great stuff denise !

the more the merrier ... you are 100% on when you say
the limitless boundaries ...

looking forward to this -
john

photomc
12-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Very nice...I keep thinking I will have time to try some 'dry plates' one day.
Thanks for all you have done, Denise!!