PDA

View Full Version : My first serious attempt

Pfiltz
12-09-2012, 08:58 AM
at a Still Life. I know there are a lot of factors in shooting film / printing etc... I've been reading as many of the older threads here on Apug, to get as much knowledge as I can catch up on. I'm new to printing. Been only doing it now for 2 weeks.

I have some info on the image below but not sure where to go from here to step it up a notch. I kept the subject matter up away from the background to prevent any spill from hitting it. I used 1 strobe with a softbox for the main light.

Up till now, I've just been printing from Neg's that I currently have, to gain some speed on enlarging. I've been printing on 5x7 Ilford MGIV FB paper, that I bought from another forum, member. It's serving my purpose for now.

I wanted to create a VIBRANT still life from a flower, which would push me on the printing side, with regard to a high contrast subject.

Some specs on the shot.

Arista Film
Arista Developer

The first print was printed at 40 sec. with a 3 1/2 grade filter, and developed my usual 2 minutes @ 68f
It came out over exposed.

The second, which is shown here, was printed at 20 sec with a 3 1/2 grade filter, and developed @ 2 minutes / 68f

Chemicals are fresh. Made today.

The negative looks pretty good too, from what I can gather. One obvious problem is that one HOT petal, which I've highlighted. I wish now looking in hindsight, I would have introduced another strobe for some back lighting on the stem/petal areas... Thought about it, but I didn't . I used a reflector to create some fill.

Any thoughts on the printing side, that I should consider to get this image up a notch or two? This a scan on an V700 of my second print.

http://www.keepsakephotography.us/Flower.jpg

Sirius Glass
12-09-2012, 09:48 AM
When printing burn in the hot spot to make it darker. Go work siriusly.