PDA

View Full Version : What makes a fine-art photograph?

Pages : [1] 2

PaulDK
12-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Hello everyone.

I have been doing some photography for a couple of years now, and I have been thinking of getting into fine-art photography. I don't know that much about it, other than it takes hard work (of course) and a fairly amount of research.

Can some of you tell me your view on what makes a photograph fine-art? Is it by making only one perfect and unique picture of a scene, and making it the only photograph there is?

If some of you are working with fine-art photography, what is your advice for those who want to get started in what I think is an artistically rewarding area of photography?

- Paul.

Slixtiesix
12-12-2012, 03:19 PM
What exactly fine art photography is may be subject to discussion (And it has been discussed a lot). As far as I know it has to do with proper techniques (focusing, developing and printing skills). Usually, fine art images are also carefully composed and thought out rather than captured in a journalistic style. They are a product of your imagination rather than merely capturing what is just there. Some may also say that unless itīs not printed on fibre paper, it is no fine print. It has nothing to do with the subject whatsoever I think. You can make fine prints even from the most superfluous things.

Yashinoff
12-12-2012, 04:07 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-art_photography

darkosaric
12-12-2012, 04:18 PM
I consider myself non fine art photographer :) : I don't care for temperature of developer too much, I don't care if my fiber based silver gelatin print is not flat 100%, I don't care if I have couple of small dusts of dents on the print, I don't use lightmeter with my M3, often my lens is not perfect clean. I just don't care for those imperfections and enjoy in image as it is. This attitude is not possible if you want to be fine art photographer.

edit: When there is nothing to be added and nothing to be removed from final print - then I consider this print to be fine art.

TheFlyingCamera
12-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Fine-art photography is such a broad category as to be almost un-definable. If what sells in high-end galleries is fine art photography, then the standards of execution are meaningless. It doesn't require perfect lenses (or even any lenses at all). It doesn't require perfect production techniques (experimental work is highly regarded these days). It doesn't even require a recognizable subject! Given what constitutes 'fine art photography' these days, your kids' accidental exposures of their feet qualify (if you print them big enough!). Pinhole images, photograms, chemicograms (images formed purely through the action of chemistry on photo paper), black-and-white, color, dignified portraits, snapshots of prostitutes in flagrante , landscapes of the Sierra laden with snow, muddy excavation pits in dystopian suburban developments, it's all fair game.

jnanian
12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
hi paul

it really isn't to hard.
just photograph what you like
fine a market for it
and sell your images.

they will become " fine art photographs"

if you do a search in the search bar and put "fine art photography" in quotes ( as i did )
you will learn what others have to say about it. for the most part anything is is "fine art"
including conceptual images that many people "don't get"

good luck !
john

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/31823-what-fine-art.html
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/36595-schism-fine-art-photography.html
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum48/111862-what-makes-fine-art-photography-fine-art.html

pbromaghin
12-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Anything shot in B&W.

PaulDK
12-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Thank you very much for your replies folks, I really appreciated it. I will definitely try and move forward towards fine art, maybe if I'm lucky get something into a gallery. Who knows, I could get lucky.

And thanks jnanian for that last post.

By the way, I have a flickr page you can look at if you want: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gorlingimages/

- Paul

jovo
12-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Fine art photographs are those that have no other purpose than to be themselves. They are not of weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, events, news stories, real estate where the intent is to represent the property for sale, travels, or other things that need to have an image made for a reason. That said, fine art images can be about any of those things but just not for a purpose. The field is so wide open and amorphous that it might as well be thought of as indefinable in terms of what a fine art photograph 'should' or 'does' look like. Interesting anyone other than yourself in what you've pictured, however, is also as mysterious as whatever the 'fine art' photograph is. Photograph whatever interests you, and do it well. Let someone else decide for himself what it is beyond that.

Rob Skeoch
12-12-2012, 06:47 PM
What is Fine Art Photography is the same question as What is Art.
If you think it's Fine Art, then it is.
If it's in a space where art is viewed, (as art) then it is art.

-rob

Nige
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
nice answer John.

PaulDK
12-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Really nice reply John Voss. Thank you.

StoneNYC
12-13-2012, 12:57 AM
This thread already exists ;)

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111862

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StoneNYC
12-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Fine art photographs are those that have no other purpose than to be themselves. They are not of weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, events, news stories, real estate where the intent is to represent the property for sale, travels, or other things that need to have an image made for a reason. That said, fine art images can be about any of those things but just not for a purpose. The field is so wide open and amorphous that it might as well be thought of as indefinable in terms of what a fine art photograph 'should' or 'does' look like. Interesting anyone other than yourself in what you've pictured, however, is also as mysterious as whatever the 'fine art' photograph is. Photograph whatever interests you, and do it well. Let someone else decide for himself what it is beyond that.

By this statement it sounds like I'm a fine art photographer :)

Check out my gallery and let me knew haha

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFlyingCamera
12-13-2012, 10:00 AM

There's also a lot of crossover in those genres (perhaps not real estate or wedding photos) though- look at Weegee as a prime example. His work now sells in galleries and is exhibited in museums. Same with Robert Capa. Now I doubt I'd want to hang a four-foot copy of one of the D-Day landing photos on my dining room wall, but I could see having an 8x10 print in an office somewhere. The thing I most often think of when someone says "fine art photography" is they're trying to distinguish their female nudes from cheesecake/boudoir/Playboy photography. Which is widely open to self-definition. One man's 'fine art' is another man's monkey-spanker.

benjiboy
12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
It's easy, you just grow a Van Dyke beard and refer to yourself as an artist :)

JBrunner
12-13-2012, 10:04 AM
How big is a rock? How much does a car cost? How beautiful is my love?

StoneNYC
12-13-2012, 12:26 PM
There's also a lot of crossover in those genres (perhaps not real estate or wedding photos) though- look at Weegee as a prime example. His work now sells in galleries and is exhibited in museums. Same with Robert Capa. Now I doubt I'd want to hang a four-foot copy of one of the D-Day landing photos on my dining room wall, but I could see having an 8x10 print in an office somewhere. The thing I most often think of when someone says "fine art photography" is they're trying to distinguish their female nudes from cheesecake/boudoir/Playboy photography. Which is widely open to self-definition. One man's 'fine art' is another man's monkey-spanker.

Yes that's what I often call my nudes to distinguish them from lame crappy nudes, and I also described them in post #22 of the above link to the other thread about fine art if anyone's curious, ;)

ROL
12-13-2012, 12:34 PM
If some of you are working with fine-art photography, what is your advice for those who want to get started in what I think is an artistically rewarding area of photography?

Marry rich.

StoneNYC
12-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Marry rich.

I'm dating a doctor at Yale and it hasn't really helped me much... lol