PDA

View Full Version : just the right camera

Pages : [1] 2 3

Storyteller
12-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Hello. I am Storyteller.
I have begun doing photography again, film, mostly 35mm and some 120. I am trying to find out what camera I want to buy. I only know the specifics of what I am looking for.

It uses 120.
It shoots in 6x9 format.
It has a tripod mount, for landscape orientation. This would mean a bolt hole on the bottom.
It has an alternative format or 6x6 or 645.
It has a lens that can focus at least to some degree.
It has some aperture settings for different lighting conditions.

I have looked into the Bessa, the Ikonta 52(x)/2 and a few others.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I am trying to spend under $40 on ebay, which is very doable these days. I want to use the camera to take landscapes and cityscapes..

thank you,

Storyteller

chriscrawfordphoto
12-15-2012, 02:47 AM
I am trying to spend under $40 on ebay, which is very doable these days.

I'm sorry to be nasty, but you're absolutely delusional. No one is going to sell you any medium format camera that cheap. You can get a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder for $500 or so, and it does all you want except the ability to change formats. If you're willing to settle on a 6x7, you can get a Mamiya RB67 for a few hundred, and it offers 6x7, 6x6, and 645 backs.

LJH
12-15-2012, 02:59 AM
I'm sorry to be nasty, but you're absolutely delusional. No one is going to sell you any medium format camera that cheap.

Actually, I think that you're delusional (and, for what it's worth, nasty, as you wrote).

I bought a mint Zeiss Ercona (6x9) with a 105mm f3.5 Tessar for $40 in the last 3 months.

Storyteller
12-15-2012, 03:45 AM
I'm sorry to be nasty, but you're absolutely delusional. No one is going to sell you any medium format camera that cheap. You can get a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder for $500 or so, and it does all you want except the ability to change formats. If you're willing to settle on a 6x7, you can get a Mamiya RB67 for a few hundred, and it offers 6x7, 6x6, and 645 backs.

good sir, I apologize if this seems harsh, but you are highly disconnected from reality. Id advise youdo some research on the going rate for cameras these days. I see about 8-10 cameras each day go for under $50, mostly old folding belows cams like i am speaking of. I am kicking my self for not snagging a Busch Pressman for $65. I have seen Ikontas, Bessa's and Agfa folders go for $10, regularly. My request, is not that hard. what model of 6x9 camera has a bottom placed landscape oriented tripod mounting socket? It is even better if it has more than one format by way of masks and I dont need to cut a hole in the back for red plastic. Lastly, is there one that will have aperture and timing available to get a range of shots, ideally with rail focus and not an automatic length from extension. I know most of these features exist. I am not sure if I can find them all in one camera. I certainly hope you explore further and educate yourself better.

Good Day,

Storyteller

Ian Grant
12-15-2012, 03:45 AM
It's quite possible to find good 6x9 cameras for around the sellers $40. A few weeks ago i picked uo a good Ross Xpres lens in a shytter for 2 ($3.20) and las Sunday picked up a Ross Ensign 420 Selfix minus it's lens for 4 ($6.40). The two match and now I have a second 6x9 & 6x6 camera for a total of 6 ($9.60).

In the Spring I bought an excellent Ensign Selfix 820 for 30 ($48) this is a later version of the camera above, with a better shutter, both have windows & built in masks for 6x6 as well a 6x9, and the same coated 105mm Xpres lens.

I've also bought a Zeiss Nettar with a good coated Novar for 2 ($3.20) recently but this is 6x6 only. So cameras are around at bargain prices if you look. Welcome to APUG BTW.

Ian

chriscrawfordphoto
12-15-2012, 04:40 AM
Sorry, but you cannot get a good 6x9 camera for $40. Good meaning it WORKS, the bellows doesn't leak, its shutter isn't gummed up, the rangefinder is ACCURATE. You do want to take pictures, right? Of course, on Ebay, everything is Minty, right?

Storyteller
12-15-2012, 04:52 AM
Sorry, but you cannot get a good 6x9 camera for $40. Good meaning it WORKS, the bellows doesn't leak, its shutter isn't gummed up, the rangefinder is ACCURATE. You do want to take pictures, right? Of course, on Ebay, everything is Minty, right?

Im sure you are right, but these are not the matters in question. The question is for a camera with specific features. you however seem content to harp on a price point. Im certain most will need some repair. Given the other six cameras I have bought from ebay work, with the exception of a focus ring on one of them, which is repairable without taking the camera apart, Ill take my chances. Now do you have something consrtuctive to say, or shall you continue to ridicule?

Yashinoff
12-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Cancel out the alternative format nonsense, and a Foldex 6.3 (sometimes refered to as a Foldex 30) fits the bill.

rbeech
12-15-2012, 05:43 AM
If 6x6 is OK, there is always the Lubitel Russian camera.

Chrismat
12-15-2012, 06:01 AM
You might want to look for an East German Ercona I or II, 6X9 format with a very good lens. It also shoots 6X6 but the 6X6 insert usually has been lost.

David A. Goldfarb
12-15-2012, 07:19 AM
There are maybe one or two multi-format folders that can occasionally be found in that price range, but you'll have many more options if you give up that feature and maybe just get a second folder in a smaller format, if you really need more than one format and can't just crop from 6x9 as needed.

thegman
12-15-2012, 07:38 AM
If you can push your budget a bit, look at certo6.com, more expensive than typical eBay, but I bought an Ikonta from him and it works great.

horacekenneth
12-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Good day Storyteller! I am Moonstripe! I pray yee shall find the device of which thou desirest.

batwister
12-15-2012, 08:25 AM
good sir, I apologize if this seems harsh, but you are highly disconnected from reality. Id advise youdo some research on the going rate for cameras these days.

Great Scott!

bdial
12-15-2012, 08:36 AM
It's perfectly possible to get a working 120 folder for 40 +-USD, they are not difficult to find.
But, it may require some looking, there are a great many I see offerred for that kind of money that are usable only for decoration.

Generally, these will be viewfinder and not rangefinder cameras, and most in that price realm will not do multiple formats, or if they do, they are likely missing the masks that enable that.
Most will have settable apertures and many will have more than 1 shutter speed (not including B or T). Virtually all will have tripod mounts.
The quality of the lenses willl vary usually with the price.

Ian Grant
12-15-2012, 09:47 AM

I beg to differ.

I can and have bought good fully functional 6x9 cameras for around the $40 mark and for considerably less as well, but they don't show up on ebay very often these days. There's a seller at the camera fair I go to who has boxes of cameras for 2-5 each and I've had several excellent bargains from him.

The OP never mentioned wanting a rangefinder camera that does up the price, and speaking from experience it's remarkably easy to estimate the distances and set the focussing manually on these old folders.

I'd forget ebay for something like this, best place to buy is car boot sales, flea markets, camera fairs, garage sales (rare in the UK), and some charity shops - but many sell their cameras etc on Ebay as they can get higher bprices. Sometimes you can find them in antique shops at bargain prices as well.

Ian

Two23
12-15-2012, 09:48 AM
You should be able to find a pre-war (uncoated lens, no rangefinder) camera like that. I have a mint condition Bessa 6x9 I bought for about $100 that works great. There are plenty of choices from the 1930s.

Kent in SD

jnanian
12-15-2012, 11:25 AM
holga ?

===
be aware, some folks have not had such glowing experiences with
certo6, mine was far-far from wonderful.

Old-N-Feeble
12-15-2012, 11:35 AM
You won't find one for US$40 but maybe less than US$100... Baby Graphic.

NedL
12-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Cancel out the alternative format nonsense, and a Foldex 6.3 (sometimes refered to as a Foldex 30) fits the bill.

I have one of these and I love it. Really fun, light, compact, and capable of making good photos. Mine has a minor intermittent light leak problem that I'm struggling with, I think light is getting in through the green window and bouncing around behind the pressure plate.... I expect to figure out how to fix it eventually. The bellows are fine.

Oddly enough, I started reading this thread because I'd also like a camera just like OP, and would love to hear other's experience with the different choices. I really like the 6x9 format and don't care about inserts for smaller frames. The foldex 30 has a tripod mount in portrait orientation but not on the bottom for landscape. For slower film, a tripod mount would be a really really good thing to have. I'm looking to add one to mine. The camera was very much made for handheld operation and has a neat feature that lets you trigger the shutter without having to reach out to the lens. I guess that's why they left the tripod mount off the bottom...although I find that hard to understand since so many other details seem well thought out.

Mine was about $20 on the goodwill auction site and it is in very nice condition. At the moment it's my favorite camera for just carrying around. I hope some more people will chime in with experience with different 6x9 folders... for example I think there are some Agfa models where the scale focus winding gets stuck... these are the sorts of things that newcomers like myself need to know to watch out for!